Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,285   Online: 1108

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Discontinuation of Tri-X in 120 is one thing I fear more than other film discontinuances.
    This is my fear as well as it is my most used film (although FP4+ is a close second). I was very upset when 320 TXP was discontinued in 120 and 220; at least it is still available in sheets but for how long? That is the question I guess none of us have answers to.
    Last edited by Kevin Kehler; 12-13-2011 at 07:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use 8X10 Ektar so this is a distinct bummer. I've already got a lot of money tied up in boxes of
    8X10 TMX and TMY tucked in the freezer, not to mention other things like Ciba paper and DT film.
    Portra has different color characteristics and isn't an ideal substitute. But Kodak is proabably nearing
    panic mode, and let just hope Fuji will come to bat with something comparable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to the Kodak website, Tri-x is the world's best selling black and white film. Yet it can't produce a single 120 roll at a profit? It seems odd that Ilford can apparently sell a single roll of HP5 at a profit. Maybe Kodak should let Ilford run the Kodak marketing department.

It also seems to me that 120 Plus-X was first discontinued in single rolls not too long (a year or so?) before the plug was pulled on the entire product.

Dave

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    According to the Kodak website, Tri-x is the world's best selling black and white film. Yet it can't produce a single 120 roll at a profit? It seems odd that Ilford can apparently sell a single roll of HP5 at a profit. Maybe Kodak should let Ilford run the Kodak marketing department.

It also seems to me that 120 Plus-X was first discontinued in single rolls not too long (a year or so?) before the plug was pulled on the entire product.

Dave
    Their film lines are profitable. This has been discussed on this board frequently in the past.
    I read that Ilford were not profitable last year. Did they not sack 25 people or so at the start of this year?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Tomalophicon,

You read wrong, profitable in 2010 and profitable in 2011.....

Although we are a private limited company our full audited accounts are always available via companies house in the UK if you wish to pay the small charge they make.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology LImited :

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Thanks Simon,
    That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Freestyle also often busts up Pro Packs to sell individual rolls. They do this with Acros. Not sure if some agreement with Kodak prevents that.
    Freestyle might have such an agreement (although I doubt it). There is nothing to stop anyone from buying a bulk pack and selling it separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    Maybe Kodak should let Ilford run the Kodak marketing department.
    And the rest of the factory!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The widely published November interview with Scott DiSabato from Kodak's pro film division was misread by many. He said sales($) were up but he didn't say the same for volume which isn't. Everyone here knows where Kodak's prices are going, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Thanks Simon,
    That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Some figures from someone who actually got the report are in these posts on the LFPF:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...&postcount=145

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...&postcount=147

It's encouraging that they are profitable, but scary in how small the figures are now.

In a fit of "support those who support you" I am starting to consider switching entirely to Ilford for black and white film myself. I already shoot Delta 3200, FP4+ and Pan F in 120, but I also shoot Tri-X in 120 and 35mm plus TMY-2 in 4x5. While grainier than TMY-2 I don't print that large so I could happily go to HP5+ in 4x5, maybe save only for low light where I might need better reciprocity failure characteristics. My real hold out is the Tri-X/Diafine combo in 35mm (and, more rarely, 120) and 35mm TMZ. HP5+ works fine in Diafine but gives me maybe 2/3s stop less effective speed, and that EI 1250 is often a sweet spot that allows me to shoot handheld without incurring the significantly larger grain of TMZ or Delta 3200. I find TMZ more pushable beyond 3200 and finer grained than Delta 3200 as well. I do shoot the later in 120 but not as often as TMZ in 35mm for the simple reason I don't have a medium format lens faster than f/3.5 so any handheld shooting in low light tends to be in 35mm.

It would be further encouragement if Ilford brought back Delta 400 in sheets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that you should support what you like to use.

I'm happy I can still get Tri-X, although I'm sad to see some 8x10 go... as well as Ektar.

Kodak is obviously in big trouble, but if you love their products, continue to buy them. It may just be a drop in the ocean to them, but every little bit helps. We need competition in this world of film, and the more manufacturers there are, the better it is.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin