Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,479   Online: 869

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Here we have the typical doom and gloom predictions any time any company discontinues a film. We are looking at some fairly obscure products here. Does any really think that a single person who used to shoot 8x10 gave it up in favor of a digital PoS (Is that the right abbreviation?)?

Several years ago I asked my local lab if their E6 volume had dropped off. Their response was, "No, E6 has always been niche with devoted followers. No one who shoots E6 is going to give it up for digital." About a year ago I asked the same question and this time the response was, "Yes, some professionals have gone to the new negative films to get more leeway in the printing."

One way or the other, it is still film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ektar 100 and TXP are not obscure by any stretch of the imagination. 8x10 is one of the least used of the standard formats, granted, especially in color where the running costs are so high.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    My dad gave up E6 for digital. Among many others, I'm sure.
    3 of the 4 photolabs in my town have closed in the last 5 years. The fourth doesn't do E6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Kodak & Ilford.
    I also use Fuji, Agfa, Ferrania, Foma, Forte, Konica, Lucky, Polaroid, Era & Scotch.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I use Kodak & Ilford.
    I also use Fuji, Agfa, Ferrania, Foma, Forte, Konica, Lucky, Polaroid, Era & Scotch.
    You should also try 3M!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...We need competition in this world of film, and the more manufacturers there are, the better it is.
    Exactly. If it boiled down to one player, I honestly would be very concerned that the need to be innovative would be tossed with the bathwater.

I'll be using Kodak's b/w products (and Acros tbh) until the day they kill them all in a scorched earth move and only then will I turn to other products. I don't choose film based on a company's shortsightedness or worry about 'learning' a new film. I never really thought going from Brand X to Brand Y was all that difficult in the grand scheme of things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    You should also try 3M!
    He said Scotch!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    He said Scotch!
    Are they the same thing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup. Scotch is a 3M brand. Though come to think of it, they might have been called 3M at some time and Scotch at another, or they might have been applied to different products. Though it seems like I saw film called 3M Scotch, but I'm not sure. I never liked Scotch.

Irish whiskey for me.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you look carefully at the discontinuation notice, you'll notice three things:
    1. Plus X is going away. This may be bad for all those who loved that film, my condolences to them. Likewise I express my condolences to all 2 or 3 remaining bulk loaders who can't get TMAX 100 in 100ft. rolls any more.
    2. A number of roll films are no longer available in single packs but only in 5 packs. In the age of mail ordering and thinned out availability in brick and mortar stores, I prefer 5 packs anyway. I would like 10 or 20 packs even more if they were cheaper per film roll.
    3. A bunch of 8x10 film is special order only from now on. Remember Ilford's once a year "we cut to your size" offer and I can already see what will happen with Kodak's large format offers, as long as either Kodak or some savvy business person starts collecting many small orders and combines them into a special order volume (plus a profit).

So all together, the only real loss seems to be PlusX, everything else will end up only as inconvenience or slightly higher cost. Nothing to cheer about but no reason for panic either.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin