Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,876   Online: 1155

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am looking forward to seeing the farm museum. Hopefully weather will permit my being able to get some wet plate images there this time around. I will have my new wet plate camera by then and can't wait to shoot there. Should be a good match for the subject matter.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    There are a lot of old things around here for that: your host, the OH & Erie Canal, the covered bridge, Hale Farm from the road (they don't allow tripods).

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Charlie,

What is your new wet plate gear and how does it differ from what you were getting last time you were here?

It is amazing reading back through the thread, how many different processes we will have at this event.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,

Last time I was using an old 8x10 Agfa Ansco with a converted film holder for the plate holder. I was limited to shooting plates about 4x5 and 7x9. The lens I was using was a 14 1/2" Verito soft focus lens. I just recently sold both those off (and some other things). I had purchased them as short term anyway. Those monies were set aside for my new stuff.

My new gear is from 1861 a Dallmeyer Petzval 13" f3.5 that I purchased from Eddie.

For my camera I have Steve from Black Art Woodcraft finishing up a new 8x10 wet plate camera. I will have inserts in which I can shoot: half-plate, whole plate, 8x10, 10x10 and 4x10 plates. It will be going onto one of his wooden tripods.

I am soon going to be trying to make some collodion negatives for use in albumen printing. With all the stuff Mat is doing I am hoping Mat will figure out albumen printing so he can teach me. You hear that Mat? Not long ago I bought a NICE contact print frame from Bostick and Sullivan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Challenge accepted Charlie! I'll tell you what, if you can bring some 12% AgNO3 solution and Sodium Thiosulfate (hypo) fixer, I'll supply the coated paper and selenium toner, and we'll see if we can make an albumen print happen! If you want to try your own negatives, make sure they have super high contrast!
    Co-Host of The Film Photography Podcast, the bi-monthly internet radio show all about film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mat4226 View Post
    Challenge accepted Charlie! I'll tell you what, if you can bring some 12% AgNO3 solution and Sodium Thiosulfate (hypo) fixer, I'll supply the coated paper and selenium toner, and we'll see if we can make an albumen print happen! If you want to try your own negatives, make sure they have super high contrast!
    Mat,

You are awesome!

Sounds like a plan. I have some extra
    AgNO3, so I can bring some 12% with me. And I have about 5 pounds of Sodium Thiosulfate I think. That should be more than enough me thinks. . I don't have any Collodion negatives dense enough for albumen printing yet... But I have everything I need to do so. I will see if I can work on that by May.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John Jarosz of the MWLFA gave me a copy of “Albumen & Salted Paper
    Book, The History and Practise of Photographic Printing 1840-1895,” John M. Reilly, if you think I can help with any research.

Thanks Mat. We really are going to learn and see some spectacular new-old stuff.

Charlie that gear really sounds great. I am looking forward to show and tell. What are you using for a dark box/room? Have you purchased a Joe Smigiel like RV, a Bill Schwab like trailer, or built something? Do we need to provide pasture for the horses or donkeys that will be pulling your period darkroom?

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    John Jarosz of the MWLFA gave me a copy of “Albumen & Salted Paper
    Book, The History and Practise of Photographic Printing 1840-1895,” John M. Reilly, if you think I can help with any research.

Thanks Mat. We really are going to learn and see some spectacular new-old stuff.

Charlie that gear really sounds great. I am looking forward to show and tell. What are you using for a dark box/room? Have you purchased a Joe Smigiel like RV, a Bill Schwab like trailer, or built something? Do we need to provide pasture for the horses or donkeys that will be pulling your period darkroom?

John
    John,

I do not have a setup like Bill has, although I would love to. I am using a dark box which I made with help from my brother-in-law and sister who sews.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darkbox_1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	48439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darkbox_2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	48440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darkbox_3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	48441

I am not exactly portable, especially adding in hauling my water, chemicals, waste jugs etc. I was hoping to hire some sherpas when I got to your area. Let me know if you can recommend any!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Gosh Charlie. It seems so clear to me. A trailer has been shown by Bill to be a proven method. Jeff & Eva brought you here in the first place, have that perfect sized trailer, and the 4 wheel drive Jeep to pull it. They are coming to the event and have expressed an interest in going to the museum, with possible ice cream side trips. I have some ground cloth plastic they have borrowed before. I think you just have to talk them into letting you toss their bed onto the plastic while you use the trailer. Sherpas are really expensive this time of year here.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Charlie did you see this one: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=330845

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin