Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,723   Online: 769

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am looking forward to the upcoming weekend, especially the demo, since I've missed all previous demos.

I mentioned the weekend to Jeff Scott, and he believes he will come for at least part of it. He enjoyed it last time.

On a related note, I met Arnold Tunstall, the Collections Manager at the Akron Art Museum. (John, do you know him?). I mentioned that our group has visited the museum a number of times, and he said that if he got enough notice, he could arrange a tour and lecture for us. Something to keep in mind.

Jeff

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Lee,

Glad you are coming. The demo should be great.

Jeff,

We are taking attendance. You have several demerits for missed demos.

Please tell Jeff Scott that we enjoyed his prints and company last gathering. He is most welcome.

I certainly do know Arnie. He taught me Photo 2 about eight years ago. I don't think he has taught a class since then. He is a lot of fun and a wealth of knowledge. We have one of his prints on the wall in the family room. His invitation would be a good excuse for us to have a winter event when it is “toooo chilli” outside for most of us.

John P.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichư

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tentative Schedule: NE OH Gathering: July 27-28-29, 2012

Friday: Meet here (Powers’ house) at 5 PM or when ever you come to town after that. I suggest we have pizza dinner at the Powers’ place, look at prints, plan our ventures for the weekend. The dark room is available if anyone needs to load film holders or has a camera emergency.
    A good pizza source is: Teressa’s Pizza 4174 Wheatly Rd. Richfield, OH - 330-659-9555. Please bring your own pizza and beverage. For those coming in on the OH Turnpike, we are exit 173. Terresa’s takes 15-20 minutes to produce pizza depending on the crowd. You might call ahead and pick up your pizza on the way in. Teressas is in the little shopping area at Wheatley and Brecksville Rd.

9AM Saturday meet at our house and see who is going where. The Fry Farm Museum is W on Everett and then N on Southern Rd., total of 1.4 miles I will take a group there and show you around. The Cuyahoga Valley National Park is two miles east of us. There are three waterfalls within five miles. Lee L has kindly built and maintained a Google Mapbook with most of our previously visited locations. https://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/ I will have paper maps put out by the Cuyahoga Valley National Park CNVP. Peter has offered to take people to the Flats for bridge and old building photography. We can help you find things if needed.

9:30 AM Saturday Dale will start the Lith demos. He will work with each person individually. First we will expose the paper in John's darkroom (negative already set up in the enlarger) and Dale will explain the effects of varying exposure with some pre-processed example prints. There will be two negatives provided by Dale and John. Each person will mark the print papers with a Sharpie marker on the back. Then we will take the paper outside to the darkroom box and process it. Development time will be about 3 to 5 minutes, during which time Dale will explain the details. Each person will choose when to snatch the print out of the developer as it comes up. After the stop bath Dale will keep all the prints in the fixer tray and at the end of the session. He will collect the fixer and transport the prints to the print washer in the basement and wash them all together. After drying everyone gets to keep their prints.

We are doing the developing in Charlie Wheelihan’s generously offered wet plate portable darkroom to avoid the fumes in the house. All chemicals are being taken by Dale back to city sewage to avoid polluting the well we drink from and those of the folks downstream.

5 PM Saturday meet at the Powers’ house then go to Musketeers Bar & Grille, 3027 Brecksville Rd, Richfield, OH. Tel: 330-659-4111. Leave our house going east on Everett Rd. toward Brecksville Rd. Turn left at the stop light. Musketeers restaurant is less than a mile on the right.

After dinner return to the house to look at prints.

Sunday morning shoot early or sleep in. 10 AM meet for a group brunch at Richfield Family Restaurant 4793 Brecksville Rd, Richfield, OH 44286 tel:330-659-9862.

11 AM Sunday return to photo projects. You are welcome at our house until 5 PM. Have a safe drive home. Thank you for coming to the gathering.

John & Dolly Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichư

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    We have some surprises. I just stopped over to see Jim Fry and confirm our permission to shoot at his Ohio Farm Museum this weekend. He said yes and no. There is going to be a movie production there Saturday and possibly Sunday. We are welcome, but WE MUST stay out of their way. The production company is in a contest. They have 36 hours to shoot a short 7.5 minute movie of the 1870s. The crew will be moving around the farm rapidly and we MUST to stay out of their way. The good of that is we can use them as a subject in addition to all we will find on the farm. If anyone has authentic cowboy or Native American clothing of the period they are welcome to become an extra IF the director approves.

Additionally another museum in the Indianapolis area has shipped the Frys two boxes of period clothing as a gift. The boxes should arrive today or tomorrow and the Frys will be sorting it out for the weekend. We have yet another subject to shoot.

Again, we are conditionally welcome at the Fry’s farm if we stay out of the way. If not we will be asked to leave. Please benefit from this opportunity rather than damaging our future chance to shoot there. It should be a very interesting weekend.

John P.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    We have some surprises. I just stopped over to see Jim Fry and confirm our permission to shoot at his Ohio Farm Museum this weekend. He said yes and no. There is going to be a movie production there Saturday and possibly Sunday. We are welcome, but WE MUST stay out of their way.
    Interesting! Should be an exciting weekend.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sunday a ham radio club will be meeting in the pavilion or picnic area at the east end of the farm. I’m not sure this adds to the photographic opportunities, but I believe we have a couple of ham radio enthusiasts amongst us.

My hope is that Jeff B will lead periodic missions to the Country Maid Ice Cream orchard. Those cones just keep popping out on the trees.

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    My hope is that Jeff B will lead periodic missions to the Country Maid Ice Cream orchard. Those cones just keep popping out on the trees.

John
    The ice cream is very photogenic!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've finally got my schedule semi-worked out for this weekend. Lynn and I will be coming over either Saturday evening OR very early Sunday morning.

If we are able to make it Saturday evening I'm not sure exactly what time it will be (depends on how work goes)... but we are planning on basic camping at the Powers' place. (Thank you John & Dolly! All contact/emergency info is still the same for both of us). If we can't get there Saturday I am planning on leaving very early Sunday morning for sunrise shooting and then meeting everyone at the Richfield Family Restaurant for breakfast.

Either way we are planning on being at the Blue Hen Parking lot around 6:15am Sunday morning to hike down to Buttermilk Falls (I've been on a waterfall kick lately). If anyone wants to join us that would be cool! PM me to trade cell phone numbers if we haven't already. If you're not familiar with Buttermilk Falls (not on the park map) it's downstream a ways from Blue Hen Falls and takes a bit of a hike to get to, not super tricky but not the easiest either.... Ask one of the locals about it. If you ask really nicely maybe Mr. Powers will let you borrow his "Yellow Escalator".

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I spent last night lith printing and checking my supply of chemistry and paper. I have over 100 sheets of 5x7 paper and plenty of chemistry. I have about 2.5 gallons and A and B. We will use 50ml of each for the entire session. The paper is pretty unique in that it is a fast developing RC paper (Forte) but it produces a better Lith print than many of the current fiber based papers. To bad production on this paper is long over.
    Development times for a good lith print were around 2 minutes (which is also unique to this paper). This will speed up our demo.

Exposure time worked best at 60 seconds, or about 3 times that for a 'normal' print.

The paper responds very well to Selenium toning also. I'll have some examples. The nice thing about selenium toning is that the participants can tone the finished prints when they get home to their respective darkrooms if they want.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Shawn,

Glad to hear you two are coming. Looking forward to meeting Lynn.

I haven’t been to Buttermilk Falls in a about a year. At that time there was a “trail closed” sign just past Blue Hen Falls on the trail to Butter Milk Falls. There is a point on that roughly mile long trail near Buttermilk Falls where you walk on a six inch wide cut in a hillside directly over the river. That cut had worn very thin, thinner than 6”, and may be the reason the Park Service closed the trail. Dolly and I do not want to take any responsibility for gathering attendees walking around a “closed trail” sign erected by the park service. The Yellow Escalator will not be running that tow service.

John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin