Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,217   Online: 977

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

NE OH Gathering: July 27-28-29, 2012

We had our best gathering yet in May 2012 and three wonderful gatherings in October, August and May of 2011. We missed a few regulars and gained a few new folks. It is time again for another NE OH Gathering, to get out shooting film, come together to see recent work, climb ledges, walk the OH & Erie Canal, photograph waterfalls, explore the Ohiofarmmuseum.com and have group fun at a gathering of like minded friends and hopefully new faces.

Dolly, the Girls three blond lady Labrador Retrievers and I would like to invite you to our home for a film photography gathering starting 5 PM Friday, July 27, through Sunday, July 29th. We have been doing this, several times a year, for five years with attendance ranging from 10-25 photographers. It has been a blast for us. I hope you have enjoyed it as much or will try it for the first time at this event. For more information about the flavor of these events read the threads on earlier NE OH Gatherings.

Most recent:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum174/...-13-2012-a.htm
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum174/...-2-2011-a.html
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum174/...-7-2011-a.html
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum174/...-8-2011-a.html

Lee L has kindly built and maintained a Google Mapbook with most of our previously visited locations. https://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/

Available options we have enjoyed in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park,
    http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm

Within five miles of our house:
    Blue Hen Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/bluehen.shtml
    Butter Milk Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls...milkCUVA.shtml
    Brandywine Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/brandywine.shtml

Please note the obvious, waterfalls can be dangerous. The day after our May, 2011 event a person unknown to us slipped and fell sixty feet to his death at Brandywine Falls.

Virginia Kendall Ledges
    Everett Road Covered Bridge
    Maps http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/maps.htm
    The National Park Service offers a general paper map of the whole park. We will have a stack of these waiting for you. Please ask if you don’t see them.

Several visitors have been interested in the OH Turnpike bridge over the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the three 19th century churches in the scenic little town of Peninsula, OH.

There is often fog early in the morning in the Cuyahoga River Valley and locally over our pond. This can be natural or self induced depending on activities. It can add interesting aspects to your photography. Some have slept in for five years and never noticed. It is your decision.

If nature/landscape is not your thing, Cleveland, the flats, where it is difficult to take a picture with less than three bridges, and five is more likely, awaits you. Last event two Large Formaters set up at sunrise at the Russian Orthodox St. Theodosius church, with its 13 onion domes. http://sttheodosius.org/home_1.html
    It is a beautiful building inside and out and the people we met were most welcoming.

“The Ohio & Erie Canal was a technological marvel. The inland waterway incorporated a series of sandstone locks that enabled boats to climb differences in elevation along the Continental Divide. The steepest section of the canal was between Akron and the Little Cuyahoga River. In a single mile, 15 locks, or "steps," were necessary.”

Richfield Ohio’s Jim Fry has created The Museum of Western Reserve Farms and Equipment, dedicated to preserving the tools, equipment, skills and way of life lived by Ohioans in the 1800s. Mr. Fry, a farmer, historian, and artist, has collected 44 buildings including what may be the largest surviving early blacksmith shop in Ohio, the oldest barn in the state, the Stouffer farm smokehouse, and one of the largest surviving post and beam barns in Summit County. The farm is constantly evolving as animals, tools, buildings, machines, in various states of preservation are added or combined into exhibits. This is 1.4 miles from our house. http://www.Ohiofarmmuseum.com/

On occasion it has been too hot, too wet, too tired, to hike in the woods lugging heavy gear. We are fortunate to be located between the Cleveland Museum of Art and The Akron Art Museum. Both have very good photography departments and have been kind enough to have excellent exhibits coinciding with our calendar. We have been known to drop dirty, sweaty gear behind, make a group visit to an ethnic restaurant and attend either or both museums as needed. It is all about like minded individuals sharing an interest.

The event will be in Bath, Ohio, between Cleveland and Akron, five miles south of the intersection of the Ohio Turnpike and Route I-77, meeting at a private home, two miles from the edge of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. For a rough estimate of time and distance use zip 44286 in Mapquest.com. If some visitors want to camp by the garden, they are most welcome. Others can stay at local motels. The Hampton Inn, Richfield, OH (1 800 Hampton) and Motel 6 Richfield at the OH Turnpike entrance and intersection with I-77 about five miles from our house are the most popular.

Come as early as Friday, 5:00 PM. Saturday we gather at 9 AM and 5:00 PM to go shooting, show prints, tell lies and go out to dinner. Alternatively we have been known to call in pizza. Print showing and pizza eating are done at separate times with a cleaning of paws in between. Sunset shooting is available, but previously showing prints and telling stories prevailed. Sunday we usually go out to breakfast at 10:00 AM to allow for early shooters and late sleepers. Some stay on to shoot, others start the long drive home. We have drawn film photo crazies from: OH, WI, IL, IN, MI, PA and CT. It is all about the camaraderie of people following a hobby. While you are here the Lady Labradors will entertain with their splashing stick routines. One regular attendee will try to convince you that bacon ice cream is a bit of heaven. There is an orchard and home made ice cream business near by. Quality control visits and inspection checks are mandatory, often requiring multiple tests.

When we learn how many are coming we can order a porta potty if there are enough to pay for it by contribution ($112 divided amongst us). Our home stumbles through on an ancient septic system and well so we must ask you to endure this porta potty inconvenience. We understand new septic systems are about $20K- 30K and don’t always work as well as the old one.

We are trying to have a loose organizational shell under which all cats may be comfortably herded. The plan will evolve until the majority is happy and the protesters fall asleep.

All film shooters are welcome.
    Who is interested in coming? What other information is needed?

If you have not been here before please PM me with name, address, phone, email and emergency contact in case you do something you shouldn’t have. I will return with directions and our phone number. If you have been here before but have new information please update us.

Welcome to the Powers’ house.
    Hosts, John & Dolly Powers
    Labradors: Gabby (age 3), Cindy (7) and Savannah (13)

All links were functioning at posting time, though half had gone dead and needed a change since the last event. Please send updates as you find them.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LITH PRINTING WORKSHOP

After a long prelude, we have finally found a way to present a hands-on Lith Printing workshop at John's next gathering. I'd like to first thank John and Dolly for hosting another event such that we have a chance to all get together again and teach each other stuff.

The following is a Syllabus for the workshop. My intention is to de-mystify the process and show how simple and easy it is to get good results.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 05-31-2012 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Northeast Ohio APUG Lith Printing Workshop Syllabus
    When: July 27-29, 2012
    Where: John's Power's Estate
    Cost: Free

Definition of "Lith Printing"
    The term is somewhat of a slang but it stands for a style of B&W print processing using high contrast (Graphic Arts, or Lithography) developer and certain conventional projection printing papers in a manner in which they were not intended to be used. I suspect the term originally came from "Kodalith Print" (see below on history of Lith Printing).

How does it work?
    Just about everyone who has experience in a conventional wet B&W darkroom knows that when you snatch a print from the developer tray before it has completed development, the print comes out flat with low contrast.

Now imagine the same setting using a very high contrast developer. When you snatch the print from the developer tray before it has completed development you have the combination of too much contrast and too little contrast. If you pull the print at the exact correct time, you get a print with normal overall contrast and a unique rendering of the highlight and shadow values.

Added Bonus Some papers (many of which are discontinued) had a unique property that when they get wet but and are not developed or are incompletely developed, they turn a salmon color. Some papers turn more brown and some more orange.

Therefore, if you choose the correct paper, during the above-mentioned "Lith Printing" technique, your underdeveloped prints (with 'normal' contrast) will take on some special coloration.

Step By Step

Tray 1:Lithography developer. This usually comes in two liquid parts "A" and "B." I use conventional graphic arts developer and mix 50ml "A" plus 50ml "B" together and add water to make one liter.
    Tray 2: acetic acid stop bath
    Tray 3: fixer

Expose the print. Since we want to be able to remove the print from the developer early, to get the low contrast and under developed salmon color, we need to blast the paper with plenty of exposure. Otherwise the image will be too light. You need to experiment but I use about 2 to 3 stops more exposure than I would use to make a normal print processed in Dektol. I use white light, even with multigrade papers.

Put the print in the developer and wait, and wait and wait....

The image can seem to take for ever to form, but once it starts forming, it will continue into a full high-contrast image quickly. A few seconds make a big difference. You need to be prepared with a flashlight/safelight to spy on the image so you can snatch it out of the developer at just the right time.

Place the print in the stop bath to halt the process quickly. After the stop, the rest of the process is the same as a conventional print.

Control of the Process

MORE PRINTING EXPOSURE leads to the print getting dark faster in the developer and the need to snatch it quicker leading to LESS CONTRAST and MORE COLOR

LESS PRINTING EXPOSURE leads to the print taking a very long time to come up in the developer leading to MORE CONTRAST and LOSS OF COLOR (A standard high contrast black and white print)

Which Paper?

There is no way to predict which brands of papers will show this special coloration. When shopping for paper the best way to know what will work is to follow or bump a thread like this one (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/9...paper-b-h.html )

History of Lith Printing

The high contrast work of Bill Brandt can be traced way back to the 1930s in images like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coal-Searcher.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	51868
    I suspect that the high contrast work of Brandt and others spawned an interest in using Graphics Arts or Lithography materials in the 1960s and 1970s. One such product was Kodalith.
    Kodalith

A type of photographic printing paper coated with an orthochromatic emulsion which gives a high contrast print with very dense blacks when processed in Kodalith developer. It is a material normally used for graphic art work which, however, can be used to give a range of unusual effects if development is controlled. A brown or yellow appearance can result if a print is given less development time and over-exposed.
    "Kodalith" came in both a high-contrast film and high-contrast paper. Some photographers began using the high contrast Kodalith paper in a manner different from what it was intended. It was discovered that when under-developed, the overall contrast would appear more normal and the paper would take on a salmon discoloration. This technique was used by photographers such as Les Krims (example below), John Wood and Michael Beacotte (example below) (and I am sure others) in the late 1960s and early 1970.

Les Krims 1969 "Kodalith Print"

John Wood 1969 "Kodalith Print Collage"

Paul Baron 1972
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m197201670002.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	51869

Michael Becotte 1975 "Kodalith Print"

It seems the technique had declined in popularity due to the loss of Kodalith paper in the mid 1970.

According to some posts here on APUG, in 1984 Seagul Oriental paper was found to produce similar images similar to Kodalith when developed in dilute lithography developer and this started the modern "Lith Printing" period:
    This is going back to 1984 - I had started importing Seagull paper into the UK (Silverprint Co.) & gave Mike Spry some samples. He started playing around with it in lith [developer] & discovered it was perfect for Anton [Corjbin]'s style. As far as I know Mike was the first to use Seagull in lith [developer], even Oriental the manufacturers hadn't seen it used this way. --Martin Reed
    The story is not complete without mentioning Tim Rudman, who has promoted the techniques in many books, articles and workshops.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 05-31-2012 at 11:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to John and Dolly again for hosting this wonderful gathering. And thanks Lee for all your efforts in you upcoming demo. Sounds like fun.

I will be there and looking forward to another great gathering.

- Charlie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Dale. You obviously have put a lot of research into this. Thanks Charlie for letting Dale work with your wet plate portable darkroom. This should be really interesting.

John P.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ought to be able to make this one, I hope!

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Has this been approved by your chaperone?
    Will we get to meet her this time at last?

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I see that Mark Fisher of Chicago will be speaking at Photostock 2012 on lith printing.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum174/...ml#post1351008, post 167.

He makes a good suggestion that applies to anyone coming to our event. “I'd appreciate it if the experienced (or less experienced) lith printers could bring some images to show . The huge variety of techniques and materials means that there are a lot of different looks possible….”

Dorothy, I am thinking of you specifically because I have one of your prints, but I hope anyone who has experimented with lith will bring samples to show and explain.

The several of us who are going to Photostock 2012 can bring back our impressions.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This sounds great! I'm going to do everything I can to free up that weekend. Thanks, Dale!
    And a huge thanks to John & Dolly for the continued hospitality.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dougherty, Dougherty. Name sounds familiar.
    Let’s see, when was he last actually here?
    Hope you make it this time. We miss you…..

John

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin