Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,959   Online: 1089

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Peter and I have been having lots of fun in the flats. It feels very good to have another set of eyes at your back. Not that either one of us could put up much of a fight, but just being aware is great protection.

Peter has studied the Flats extensively and is a great tour guide. Not only does he know all the best places to shoot, but he has led me to several fun taverns that have both a good lunch and a cold one when needed. Oh, yeah, we have had some great shots to take as well. It is always a pleasure to see how differently two LF shooters see and photograph the same area.

We will be happy to share some of the best spots.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went to the flats once with this group and really enjoyed it. Would enjoy doing it again some day. As insane as it sounds even after a good snow.

Can't help myself, I have always loved shooting out in the cold.

Looking forward to seeing Y'all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Lee,

I have encouraged people in the past to let us know what you have to sell, or as Jeff did, what you are seeking. We each help each other.

John
    I'm thinking of selling my house so I can buy more gear. and to cut down on expenses. it even comes equipped with a darkroom! tee hee!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    I'm thinking of selling my house so I can buy more gear. and to cut down on expenses. it even comes equipped with a darkroom! tee hee!
    You never know until you try.

When Dick Phillips retired from camera making in Midland, MI, up by Saginaw Bay, the realtor said his elaborate darkroom was no asset. The best the realtor could do was describe it as storage space. What closed the deal was the darkroom. The buyer was an executive for Dow moving to town. His wife was a film photographer who thought she would never find a house with even darkroom space or plumbing.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    I went to the flats once with this group and really enjoyed it. Would enjoy doing it again some day. As insane as it sounds even after a good snow.

Can't help myself, I have always loved shooting out in the cold.

Looking forward to seeing Y'all.
    Peter and/or I will be happy to take you there in warm weather. When it is cold here, it is very cold by the lake and river.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You never know until you try.

When Dick Phillips retired from camera making in Midland, MI, up by Saginaw Bay, the realtor said his elaborate darkroom was no asset. The best the realtor could do was describe it as storage space. What closed the deal was the darkroom. The buyer was an executive for Dow moving to town. His wife was a film photographer who thought she would never find a house with even darkroom space or plumbing.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ohio Farm Museum update. I went over this afternoon to confirm our welcome next weekend. We are most welcome. This is their fall pumpkin and mum selling season. This is a working farm. There were two trailers with large wooden wheels and hundreds of potted mums in various stages, budding, early bloom and full glorious bloom. They were spectacular. There were an additional two trailers of pumpkins in all sizes.

Where one of the gardens was, in the open space between the post office, school house and library and slaughter house on one side and general store and wagon repair shop on the other, there is now a handmade wooded foundation for a 20x40 barn. I didn’t measure, but I would guess the stringers are 8”x12” each. It looks very solid.

To add character to the setting he has brought out a four door way Amish buggy behind the pumpkins and a high wheeled two seated sports buggy near the post office. I believe they will have cider, cookies and pie. If I remember our thin Jeff S had to been dragged away for the pies and cider last year, only with the promise that there would be more the next day.

Charlie, if you are interested, Jim thought you could do quite a wet plate portrait business if you wanted to earn some traveling money. Jim Fry thought we would add character to the event photographing people and farm items. I remember Peter was approached last year by a lady who thought he and his Deardorff were part of the decoration. Be careful Peter, she might want to take you home with her.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ohio Farm Museum update. ...

Charlie, if you are interested, Jim thought you could do quite a wet plate portrait business if you wanted to earn some traveling money. Jim Fry thought we would add character to the event photographing people and farm items. I remember Peter was approached last year by a lady who thought he and his Deardorff were part of the decoration. Be careful Peter, she might want to take you home with her.

John
    Thanks John,

I was thinking about doing that very thing. When I spoke with Jim the last time there he mentioned me possibly doing portraits there when I came back in the Fall. If the weather cooperates I will probably spend most of my weekend doing that. It would give me a good opportunity to pay for some of my chems and maybe put a little dent in recouping some of the cost of my equipment!

Charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't want to jinx it by saying something, but I keep getting told that I'm free to go over there - WITHOUT NATE! Hubby is home and fine with some father/son bonding without mom around (there's a car-related auction nearby, too). Don't have a clue how Nate will take it, but I'd say it's hubby's turn. MWA HA HA HA.
    I'll likely still just do a day trip on Saturday, but hopefully a long one. I'm looking forward to seeing the farm museum.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I ran into Jim Fry today and discovered there had been a misunderstanding when we would be at the Farm Museum. He thought we were coming today. I explained our event was next weekend, Sept. 28, 29, 30th. What this means. We are still welcome, but he does not expect the high volume of people he hopes will be there today. There is going to be a museum tour and a meeting of the OH Dousing Association. Yes Virginia, there is an OH Dousing Association and as you might expect Jim Fry is one of its founding members.

We will have easier and closer parking, but there may not be as many portrait prospects for you Charlie. I am sorry about this, but it will mean easier shooting for everyone else.

John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin