Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,129   Online: 815

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The other date is June 15th in the link Lee gave. http://www.ohiocivilwar150.org/2013/...ar-encampment/
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gah! I'm at the Battle of York Reenactment on the 15th :P

In other news. My 4x5 works perfectly.

Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As they say, pick your wars. I believe it was a suggestion as to which ones to avoid. Perhaps you have brought it new meaning. Glad the camera is working. Bring prints to show further proof.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happy Birthday John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Happy Birthday John
    Thank you. It has been a great Birthday. As I said on Facebook, much has gone well. I hope what I posted there is a tease to encourage more people to come to our event and look at the Flats.

"Thank you for kind wishes. Today is my 73rd birthday. It was my first day out after a three-week battle with a flu not covered in the flu shot. My usual shooting partner Peter Spangenberg is out of town with family, so my sweet wife Dolly came along to chaperone and watch for bad guys as I continued my 7x17 photo series in the industrial flats of Cleveland’s Cuyahoga River.

None of the seven items on my “to shoot” list looked right in a glaringly beautiful sunny day. I followed Emmet Gowen’s advice in a recent lecture at Cleveland’s Museum of Art. “Allow yourself to discover and enjoy chance.” As we past and postponed an interesting item on the list, another, maybe better one presented itself.

The Cleveland Marine Fire Department was kind enough to exercise all six water pumps on their fireboat for about an hour in the glinting sunlight against the background of multiple ancient bridges. A new stage of the six-lane bridge construction had been built since I was last here. All these overhead bridges cast wonderful striped and patterned shadows on the piles of construction material. A giant 600 foot Canadian combination cement ship and welded on tug boat had backed three miles up river to it’s cement company and was unloading. It took up half the river width. While it was there a second barge slowly steamed by pushed by a normal tug, leaving maybe seven feet on either side going through the opening. No doubt worried that I missed an image the captain of this last tug and barge combination steamed by again while I was waiting for the first ship to cast off. Two policemen drove up curious about the camera and suggested a site down a driveway where I hadn’t been.

Now comes Dolly’s wonderful birthday dinner and several days of film developing and printing. I hope your day is as enjoyable. "

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That sounds like a great day, John! Happy birthday and many more!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Happy Birthday John
    Happy birthday (slightly belated)!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,
    Sounds like a wonderful birthday out with your bride.

Would you know where we might hire a boat for Saturday that we could see the flats from the water and put in several point for some new points of view? Think that might be worth while?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you Bethe and Jeff. It was a great birthday.

Lee, I don’t know of any boat rentals, but then I haven’t looked for one. Peter and I have both been shooting LF and ULF in the Flats since June. The type of boat you could rent would not be a stable enough platform to prevent blurred images. Hand held, smaller formats at faster shutter speeds might work.

The river is quite narrow above the first bend and very accessible by car on both sides. There are areas where you can’t get in and with the major six lane bridge
    construction, there are temporary road closings. It is a small geographic area. We have simply prowled and learned our way.

There are several methods to improve finding your way. Paper maps of Cleveland are available at most book stores. Portable or car based GPS systems allow you to enlarge the maps and get updates. I have wanted to include images of the 600 foot ships and tugboats. Predicting where and when they will be in the area is very easy with software from http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/. Each ship has a transponder that reports minute by minute. The port code for Cleveland is CLE just as it is for airplanes. The software can tell you what ships are in port, what are expected, and where each vessel is on the river. There are ($4.99) apps for this for both IPhones and IPads. I’m guessing other devices are not left out.

We have found the most common transports are carrying limestone for cement, premixed concrete, taconite for steel. These vessels go to several locations pinpointed on the software maps. If you enlarge the scale you can see the roads that get near them.

John

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happy birthday, John! Many happy returns!

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin