Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,581   Online: 871

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718192021222327 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbender View Post
    Very nice print John! Perfect use of the frame.

Look forward to seeing it and the rest of the crew in May.

Thanks Robert. I really liked your two series last year. I hope you have new stuff to see in May.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    There are an amazing number of abandoned buildings in the Flats, some really ugly, but some with fantastic architectural detail. This is the lower two floors of the Armory taken from the lift bridge a ¼ mile downstream from Collision Bend. Isn’t that a name to push your imagination? The intense late morning sun causes very high contrast negatives and the stone work to just sparkle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JohnArmory.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	465.8 KB 
ID:	67763

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another nice one... How long of a drive is it from your house to the flats?

Darkroom has been up and running for awhile, will have some new stuff.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbender View Post
    Another nice one... How long of a drive is it from your house to the flats?

Darkroom has been up and running for awhile, will have some new stuff.
    Thanks Robert. I really respect your work. Glad to know the darkroom is functioning and there is more good work in the pipe.

This is just some of the variety in the Flats. Commute time depends on the day and time. If I am planning to meet Peter Sunday at 9:00 AM I leave the house about 8:15- 8:30. He is always late. I never go more than +5 the speed limit because the whole route north of the turnpike is a radar trap, just different communities meeting budget.

By the way, Peter knows lots of good places for lunch.

It is really fun shooting with someone who has similar interests, a good eye and yet shoots a different format. We feed off each other's ideas. One never takes from the other because of the different formats. The sum here is greater than the parts.
    Last edited by jp80874; 04-24-2013 at 08:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I check the marine app every Friday night just to see what the weekend might bring to the Flats.

In port:
    Sea Eagle II, pusher tug, 164m, brings liquid cement to another factory up stream. See cell phone photo

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	898.2 KB 
ID:	67872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Size:	898.2 KB 
ID:	67872

Sam Laud, 194m, limestone, way upstream
    Ohio, 33m tug
    Nancy Ann, tug, no length given
    Kathy Lynn, tug, 26m
    Dorothy Ann Pathfinder, 215m, anchored off port, usually carries limestone.
    Coast Guard, Neah Bay, tug 13m
    Aura, tug

Expected:
    Tonight, Manitowoc, no measure given, but looks to be 200m bulk carrier bringing limestone to Cleveland.
    Tomorrow, Buffalo, 194m, coming through locks at Sault St. Marie, probably carrying taconite for the steel mills
    Tomorrow, American Courage, 188m, off Saginaw Bay probably carrying taconite for the steel mills.

Just another day in crummy old Cleveland where nothing interesting ever passes before my camera. Come to the gathering and lets see what is in town that weekend, probably nothing.

Sorry. Either I have a stereo phone camera or my finger stuttered.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Flats is an area of contrasts. Sunday mornings when Peter and I usually shoot it is deserted, no people in sight. There is always an undercurrent of business. The ships come and go. There is a warehouse district. Huge tank trucks rumble down the potholed streets. There is a remarkable amount of protection. When you realize how often Police cars pass, you realize why it is best to photograph in pairs, especially if one of you will be under a dark cloth. Protection has a silver lining. One day I passed the fire station just as they started to test the fireboat tug. It took a little fast exploring to find a shooting point, but here is another aspect of the Flats.

Name:	JohnFireboat.jpg 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	67885

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Peter Spangeberg has set up a fantastic page on Facebook with pictures he has taken in the Cleveland Flats. Though we have often been shooting side by side I am really impressed with how different and good his work is relative to what I have seen. I always used to shoot alone but Peter has shown me some wonderful views and compositions. Thank you Peter.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

John P

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Perhaps this image sums up the range of scale you will find on any foggy day in the Crocked River. The only thing missing is the single man rowing shell I saw go by while I was taking another picture.

John

Name:	JohnCalumet.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	333.6 KB 
ID:	68088

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Perhaps this image sums up the range of scale you will find on any foggy day in the Crocked River. The only thing missing is the single man rowing shell I saw go by while I was taking another picture.

John

Name:	JohnCalumet.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	333.6 KB 
ID:	68088
    Love it! That subject matter is great for that camera!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Dale.

Should you or anyone else want to shoot from this vantage point, I was at the bridge end, the outside of the river curve, toward Hooples, a tavern at 1930 Columbus Rd. , corner of Columbus and Franklin, in the Flats. Columbus Rd. runs across the bridge and its east end is at a Sunoco station near the Flat Iron Tavern where five of us met for lunch last event.

Use the marine app mentioned earlier to figure out when the ship or ships are coming. It only shows the ship’s path to that minute. You have to guess where it is going, and when, mostly by its cargo and other traffic in the river. Because of Collision Bend the captains know not to try and pass two moving ships in opposite direction. Another approach is to ask the bridge operator. Before I found the app, Peter and I asked different bridge operators when a ship was coming. They knew because they had to raise or turn the bridge. Most of the time they don’t have anything to do. The ones we have talked to were very helpful. I am sure there is always one grump.

John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin