Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,795   Online: 1088

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just got back from a trip to Texas (not all of us are Yankees). Glad to see the Gowin/Gohlke exhibit got extended from the original closing date of May 12 out to June 2 so people coming for the APUG event can see it. I was hoping that Frank would be giving a gallery talk, but that's not on the schedule. Couldn't make the Gowin talk because I was travelling. I took a week-long workshop with Frank in 1981 in Minneapolis at Film in the Cities.

I should be able to make the event. Look forward to seeing everyone, and thanks again to John and Dolly for hosting.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Just got back from a trip to Texas (not all of us are Yankees). Glad to see the Gowin/Gohlke exhibit got extended from the original closing date of May 12 out to June 2 so people coming for the APUG event can see it. I was hoping that Frank would be giving a gallery talk, but that's not on the schedule. Couldn't make the Gowin talk because I was travelling. I took a week-long workshop with Frank in 1981 in Minneapolis at Film in the Cities.

I should be able to make the event. Look forward to seeing everyone, and thanks again to John and Dolly for hosting.

Lee
    Welcome back you all. Glad you are planning on the event. Thank you again for the Google map project mentioned at the start of this thread. I gather it has helped a great number of our visitors.

The Gowin/Gohlke show is definitely a winner. Must see for all fans of them, B&W and Mt. St. Helens. Gohlke has a wide range of formats. Some are printed 8x20, but may be smaller and enlarged. Most look to be enlargements of 4x5 or 8x10. Really nice work by both artists.

I donít know if Mat is entering Fava again, but Peter and I will be coming out. Maybe we could do another Oberlin lunch if you & Barbara are so inclined. I think deadline is Feb. 17th before 5 PM, but I need to check.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichż

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Welcome back you all. Glad you are planning on the event. Thank you again for the Google map project mentioned at the start of this thread. I gather it has helped a great number of our visitors.

The Gowin/Gohlke show is definitely a winner. Must see for all fans of them, B&W and Mt. St. Helens. Gohlke has a wide range of formats. Some are printed 8x20, but may be smaller and enlarged. Most look to be enlargements of 4x5 or 8x10. Really nice work by both artists.

I donít know if Mat is entering Fava again, but Peter and I will be coming out. Maybe we could do another Oberlin lunch if you & Barbara are so inclined. I think deadline is Feb. 17th before 5 PM, but I need to check.

John
    Frank was shooting mostly 4x5 at that point IIRC. Earlier work had often been done with a TLR (Rollei, I believe), and around the time of the Mt. St. Helens project starting up he also got one of the Plaubel Makina 67 folders with the Nikkor lens. I believe he had the 80mm. He may have shot some at Mt. St. Helens with the 67 if working quickly was important, as it appears it was in some of his Mt. St. Helens photos. He got interested in the aftermath of natural disasters after a mile wide tornado killed 45 people in his home town of Wichita Falls, TX in 1979. He flew in the day after the storm to check on his family with only a small number of sheets of B&W 4x5 film and his camera. I was listening to the reports that day with a 'dorm mother' on the college campus who was from Vernon, which was also struck by a tornado in that outbreak. There were people in a bank at a mall who sheltered in a bank vault. When they came out the mall was gone.

Frank returned to Mt. St. Helens yearly for something like 9(?) years each spring to record the recovery of the natural areas around Mt. St. Helens.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post

John
    I'm IN for an Oberlin lunch! Definitely entering this year.
    Co-Host of The Film Photography Podcast, the bi-monthly internet radio show all about film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mat4226 View Post
    I'm IN for an Oberlin lunch! Definitely entering this year.
    How about a lunch in Peninsula. John and I and the other locals are planning on getting together for a mid-winter get together at Fisher's in Peninsula Sat. 2/9 1:00. Hope anyone in the area can make it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    How about a lunch in Peninsula. John and I and the other locals are planning on getting together for a mid-winter get together at Fisher's in Peninsula Sat. 2/9 1:00. Hope anyone in the area can make it.
    I plan to be there. Let it be said that John never misses a meal.

John
    Last edited by jp80874; 02-07-2013 at 07:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichż

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure would be fun to join you Ohio peeps again. I've got this penciled in, but think I may be up in TO doing a workshop with the Carnie crew. We'll see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Crap, I'm working this Saturday... Going to try hard for May. Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Confirmed a Hotel in Streetsboro. Not perfectly close, but it took my club points so I can spend my funds on more important things. Yea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't make this Sat for lunch. Doing birthday things for the S.O.

I'm up for a FAVA Six State Show drop-off lunch on the 16th or 17th or both... whenever folks are in town submitting their entries.

I'll try to check in here more often than I have lately between now and then.

Bill, would love to have your company at one of the local events when you can make it.

Lee

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin