Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,572   Online: 1083

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You timed that just right John. Nice! Lee I also will try and make it to Cleveland for the outing.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    awesome, John!
    Thank you. Peter Spangenberg took an 8x10 to my right as the ship continued up river. It is a great shot because the aft end of the ship is surrounded with little white specks that if enlarged turn out to be seagulls. Maybe he will get involved in the thread and post it.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The food is really good at Sokolowskis. It's a family-owned Polish restaurant, but they offer a variety of foods. It is cafeteria style, and the food is great. If you go, make sure you get the pirogi's and some cabbage and noodles.

My parents once used the recipe for stuffed cabbage from their website, but did not cut the ingredients - it was very good, but we ate it forever. I'm not sure if they allow photography inside, but I'm sure you'd find something that deserves to be on film.

Lets see - Cleveland's Public Square used to be quite nicely decorated for Christmas. However, since I've been working downtown (at Cleveland State University), I rarely go to the square. There is a monument there if you are into photographing those sorts of things.

There is also the giant "Free" stamp:
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2183
    and what I call the monstrosity:
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/2182

Don't forget Cleveland has a great zoo, art museum, and natural history museum.
    Somewhere in Lorain County (I think) is a Great Lakes Nautical museum, though I've never been there.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to try to be there. In August, Robert Bender and I were driving home, and we passed the old Warner and Swasey place on one of the streets parallel to Euclid. Looked pretty good in the morning. Not exactly West Side, but it's definitely Cleveland.

Thanks for organizing,

-- Mark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just froze the old hind quarters off in Ann Arbor last weekend for the game so I am colded out. But, man, I would love to make it back to Ohio for a shooting weekend sometime this year. If I could swing Photostock I would. But that's a pipe dream on a Auto Parts' guy's salary.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris,
    Warm up them hind corners and come out anyway.

I just saw an interesting link of Cleveland information, probably nothing new to you Yankies up there in the north: http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/...nt?oid=1913204

Done my share of work on a Warner and Swasey lathe at one time. I would like to see their observatory.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yes. We and Pittsburgh have been taking lessons from Detroit on urban decay.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Yes. We and Pittsburgh have been taking lessons from Detroit on urban decay.

John
    Pittsburgh is doing OK, John. Very vibrant city. Lots of software and medical industry. I think Pittsburgh is doing better than Cleveland, and much, much better than Detroit.

I'll have to think of a way to set up a Pittsburgh shoot. Unfortunately, hotels are expensive there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfohl View Post
    Pittsburgh is doing OK, John. Very vibrant city. Lots of software and medical industry. I think Pittsburgh is doing better than Cleveland, and much, much better than Detroit.

I'll have to think of a way to set up a Pittsburgh shoot. Unfortunately, hotels are expensive there.
    Mark is right, Pittsburgh is and has been doing very well for quite some time now. Tech and med have are indeed the big $ makers. The USX (steel) building, the tallest in the city, actually has a UPMC sign on it now!

I am currently about an hour north of Pittsburgh and am moving 30/45 minutes east of the city very soon. I would be happy to help arrange something this spring or summer once I'm a little more settled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We had a place in Treemont (Cleveland) called Aperture Photography. A small store selling film and cameras, and I believe they rented out a darkroom. They have closed, though I hear it's because the owner relocated. Haven't confirmed that yet. It was a short-lived store, not one that existed for decades.

There is another community darkroom in Cleveland. I'm not sure if they would welcome "outsiders," but it might be interesting to contact them before your trip. Here is their website:
    http://clevelandprintroom.com/clevel...ruary-22-2013/

I like to use Fairview Photo, but they do not have one-hour service. They do mail-order, though. He uses a Phototherm or similar (not a Jobo), all negatives are scanned before printing on RA-4 digitally. They are very good.
    http://www.fairviewphoto.net/

I hate to provide the next link, as I am very unhappy with this local chain of camera stores and I rarely patronize them anymore. However, it's your best bet to get film while you're out here if you run low (unless you want consumer Fuji - it's everywhere, and cheapest at Walmart). They do have a Westlake location, but the downtown one has a greater variety of everything, including film and chemistry (and sometimes a few packs of Impossible film at all locations). Actually, the Westlake location is not as good as the North Olmsted/Great Northern one as far as film stock, but the best service of the three locations I've mentioned. The downtown store has the best variety, but the satellite stores are far more helpful if you want film (though they are less well stocked with it).
    http://doddcamera.com/
    Truzi

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin