Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,523   Online: 780

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great resources. Good to know there are some open stores in the area. We have a few Dod stores. I am shaken by the attitudes of the workers there, They always seem to steer you to what has their best makrup. Analog supplies are only stocked 3 weeks before and two weeks after the local community college has film classes starting up.

So are there any 1 hour labs open across the city?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is what the downtown store is like. If you say you want to buy a $70 digicam they'll fall all over themselves to help you. If you wave several hundred-dollar bills and say you want film, they keep passing you to the next employee until, 20 minutes later, someone finally helps you. The Westlake store is small but very friendly. The North Olmsted store is larger, and friendly when you can find someone on the floor.
    They even advertise camera repair. I stopped going there after they could not fix my SLR after three tries. I decided I could also not fix it after three tries, but was wrong - got it the first time. I learned their tech was basically clueless. That year (2010) I'd done over $300 of business with them for my vacation photography alone. I've probably spend $50 total since then (and I feel dirty about it, lol). This is actually when/why I decided to get back into doing my own developing/printing, and to learn to do color myself (unfortunately I'm a procrastinator).

No one-hour Pro labs in the area to my knowledge, but just about every Walgreen's, CVS, and Rite Aid will do one hour photos (well, it's more like 2 hours anymore). Quality is another issue, but typically fine for snapshots. I think Discount Drugmart also does processing, but I've never tried them. All of these can be found in Westlake, and every other city in the area. There is one Walgreen's I'd avoid as they messed up my friends negatives, but forget what city it was in (Fairview I think).

Dodd processes downtown, but I don't know if that is one-hour or not, nor do I know their weekend hours downtown. Dodd's processing and printing are good, and the last I used them (2010) they printed optically. They even offered internegs to print slides! I opted digital printing on that because of cost.
    IMHO, Fairview Photo does a better job at processing, but they are both quite good.
    Truzi

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just west of the Flats, in Tremont, is a beautiful Russian Orthodox Church of multiple onion dome architecture. See http://sttheodosius.org/home_1.html.

Half a block away from that is a wonderful, but a bit expensive, Istanbul Turkish Grill, 2505 Professor Avenue, http://grillistanbul.com. Dolly and I think of it as our favorite restaurant. The Lumpkins, Dolly and I had dinner there the night that turned out to be Easter in the Russian Orthodox Church. After dinner we were looking at the building, tried the door to see if we could go inside, and were invited in to see and join the vigil. None of us were mistaken for He who they awaited.

John
    Last edited by jp80874; 12-05-2013 at 05:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Mark is right, Pittsburgh is and has been doing very well for quite some time now. Tech and med have are indeed the big $ makers. The USX (steel) building, the tallest in the city, actually has a UPMC sign on it now!

I am currently about an hour north of Pittsburgh and am moving 30/45 minutes east of the city very soon. I would be happy to help arrange something this spring or summer once I'm a little more settled.
    I moved to Cleveland in 1975, so I bow to the more recent knowledge of you two. First wife, Sarah, and I lived in Slickville, PA, just north of Greensburg. That has to be one of the worst sounding names for a salesman's residence. It is beautiful out that way and over toward Ligonier and then down to Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water. But that is another trip.

John
    Last edited by jp80874; 12-05-2013 at 05:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    I moved to Cleveland in 1975, so I bow to the more recent knowledge of you two. First wife, Sarah, and I lived in Slickville, PA, just north of Greensburg. That has to be one of the worst sounding names for a salesman's residence. It is beautiful out that way and over toward Ligonier and then down to Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water. But that is another trip.

John
    I didn't know you lived in Slickville! You're right, bad name for a salesman. I'm moving to the Vandergrift area, not far at all from where you were. Lynn lives there now and works in Delmont.

You must have been all over Ohiopyle then, John. It's surrounds Fallingwater more or less... I've only been there a couple times thus far but plan on spending some serious time there this coming year.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Shawn Dougherty;1577380 You must have been all over Ohiopyle then, John. It's surrounds Fallingwater more or less... I've only been there a couple times thus far but plan on spending some serious time there this coming year.[/QUOTE]

One of the few places I have fished for trout. Where Bethe has made some waterfall pictures. Lovely place. COLD!!!! water. In waders, by the time I got water up to my knees I could no longer feel anything in my feet. Who knew where they were, my feet? Didn't catch a thing. Beautiful place to admire though.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lake Erie shoreline access

The State of Ohio DNR has two books out on public access sites for the Lake Erie shoreline and for rivers that are tributaries to Lake Erie, arranged in order by county from Toledo to the PA border.

Guide for shore access is here:
    http://www.ohiodnr.com/Coastal_Main_...3/Default.aspx

Guide for tributary river access is here:
    http://www.ohiodnr.com/Coastal_Main_...9/Default.aspx

Just got this info today from a ranger at Old Woman Creek near Huron, OH when son David and I were out birding and photographing. I've had the books for a while, but the shoreline book is out of print and the web access is new. There is a brochure for the shoreline info now, and the web pages have the books in .pdf format or individual pages for each site in .pdf format available for download (put them on your ebook reader), or you can explore the sites on the web page, which has a few newer additions. New paperback edition of the shoreline access book is to come later. These are all free.

Missed seeing the gang at John's this summer, too many family issues to attend to at critical times. But I hope to make the Frozen Film weekend.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know of a good 1 hour C-41 lab in Cleveland or on the west side. This has actually killed an analog business plan I worked out about 6 years ago, but was unable to execute. Drug Mart prints with inkjets and you can see smears, feeder wheel tracks, etc in the prints. The store near me isn't very careful with negs. Costco in Westlake does excellent printing, but no longer processes C-41, and you need a membership. I do a little business (occasional film and cheap used gear) with the Dodd's Westlake store, and they've been pretty good to me, and apologetic when they can't support analog as they'd like to. All Dodd's processing is now sent downtown AFAIK, and you can call the Westlake store and ask them to have any film the downtown store stocks sent out with a day or two of notice.

Went to a seasonal and craft beer tasting at the Greater Cleveland Aquarium two weeks ago, west bank of the flats, and it might be a nice place to warm up near downtown.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is tempting. We shall see.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee,
    These ODNR resources are great. Sue and I have been pouring over them. She has been to a great many of them and there are many more to see.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin