Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,482   Posts: 1,571,160   Online: 1230

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see its time for me to step up and get some proposed sites together. Hopefully prior suggestions and that posted here will help make this an easy task.
    We had a delay at work today due to -8 degrees and ice everywhere. I hope to have some thought together tonight to post. Please send in any suggestions.

Sue and I will not be able to host a breakfast on Sunday morning, other than grabbing a quick bite before leaving the hotel. I have an appointment at noon back here by Dayton I really have to be at. So if we do have many out of towners would someone like to hose the Sunday breakfast - morning location shoot, if any?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tonight is tonight, right? not yesterday evening?
    Hope to post today.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lee I probably won't make it in until Sat. morning sometime, if I can make it at all? If you could post a contact number and maybe where you might be on sat. that would be great. I am sure you won't know anything exact until friday night. You can P.M. that number to me if you would rather. Thanks Robert.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbender View Post
    Lee I probably won't make it in until Sat. morning sometime, if I can make it at all? If you could post a contact number and maybe where you might be on sat. that would be great. I am sure you won't know anything exact until friday night. You can P.M. that number to me if you would rather. Thanks Robert.
    Robert,
    You can call me any time at 937-Two 9 Four-311 Seven.
    I'll post in a few minutes some agenda items and places we hope to see.
    Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please feel free to call my cell anytime 937-Two 9 Four-311 Seven

Latest Update.
    We will start driving from Dayton in time to check some unknown spot on the lake before checking into the hotel at 3:00 PM.
    Hotel: We will be staying at the Residence Inn - Cleveland Westlake, 30100 Clemens Road • Westlake, Ohio 44145. https://www.marriott.com/hotels/fact...land-westlake/

Dinner Friday Evening: Outback Steakhouse 24900 Sperry Dr, Westlake, OH ‎(440) 892-3445. Give me a head count and I will make a reservation.

Gather at the Hotel lobby in the morning about 8:00 Am or so, then we will take off for some of the by the lake locations we intend to hit for birding and photographic opportunity are:
    E77st by the Power Plant
    E55th Water Access
    US Coast Guard Station (if time, or after lunch, see below)
    East Lake Power Plant
    Traveling down into the Cuyahoga River Flats area for some photography we will find out selves hungry and wanting to gather for lunch.

Saturday Lunch: Sokolowski's University Inn 1201 University Road Cleveland, OH 44113
    http://www.sokolowskis.com/index.php

Hopeful sites to visit after lunch:
    U.S. Coast Guard Station: At the end of the West Bank pier in the Flats, at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River (accessible via Wendy Park if you follow the service road from Edgewater Park past the scenic water treatment plant).
    Warner and Swasey Observatory: 1975 Taylor Road, in the wilds of East Cleveland — but in the nicer wilds, near the Cleveland Heights border. Anyone been there? Is there hope of getting close to photograph it?
    Last stop before dinner, just west of the Flats, in Tremont, is a beautiful Russian Orthodox Church of multiple onion dome architecture.
    http://sttheodosius.org/home_1.html.

Saturday Dinner: Istanbul Turkish Grill, 2505 Professor Avenue,
    http://grillistanbul.com
    This is by John and Dolly’s account a very wonderful place to eat.

We are welcome to gather in the lobby and dining area of the hotel after Fri & Sat Dinners. BYOB, I’ll gather up some snacks and junk food. We can swap stories and show prints there.

Always looking for input and opportunities to go find new locations.
    Remember dress warm, be careful on the ice and snow.
    Also remember how fast cameras can fog up going from outside to indoors, and all other cold issues.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Please RSVP and PM me your contact information to help herd the cats.
    Lee

** Disclaimer**
    Sue and an avid birder and loves that I love photography, as I love her birding. She gets dozens or hundreds of emails posted by other birders and messages on bulletin boards of sightings of unusual birds. Sharing one car we may be subject to a side trip or two depending on what people send her. So I plan to travel light, warm clothes, tripod, my M2 and lenses and may end up in your car if she gets a ping and abandons me at one location we are shooting at, as she is off to find and glass the African Zoolu Gooney Bird sighted at the river inlet by the power plant or something like that. (Would not be the first time) If it happens, please return me to my wife

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I won't be able to make it, though it would have been good to meet some APUGers in person. I've a kidney procedure on the 14th. Outpatient, but I won't be up for long jaunts away from restrooms.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Case (Warner and Swasey) observatory has been out of commission due to light pollution and abandoned for over 30 years. It's now falling apart, so it's more of an urban decay site than anything. I've viewed the moon on a very hazy night through the 9.5 inch refractor that used to be there, now on the main, very light polluted Case-Western campus. Looks like you can walk up to the old Taylor Road site. The domes appear to be falling apart. You should probably wear a hard hat near the building.

Please order the leg of lamb for John at the Istanbul Grill. There's another good Turkish restaurant near your motel.

I will see if the elder son is interested in supplying birder transport all or part of the weekend. He's doing a listserv challenge to do 100 species in OH in January. He's at 66 or 67 as of today, so his interests may align with Sue's.

Was hoping to meet Truzi... another time.

The Other
    Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgot to add:

The Inland Seas Maritime Museum in Vermilion, OH has been closed. It reopens as the National Museum of the Great Lakes in Toledo, Ohio sometime this year. There is still some research done at the old site, but it's not open to the public on a regular basis.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    I won't be able to make it, though it would have been good to meet some APUGers in person. I've a kidney procedure on the 14th. Outpatient, but I won't be up for long jaunts away from restrooms.
    Truzi,
    Will keep you in our prayers for a safe procedure and a quick return to health. You will be missed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanx, but don't worry about it - I see it like a trip to the dentist, except I'll be unconscious. The Dr. is going in with a laser to zap the stones that didn't break up enough from the sonic treatment. I'll be home the same day. Unless he makes me angry again by giving new info 10 minutes before the procedure that he should have given in his office... then I'll cancel for lack of confidence (he's already low as far as I'm concerned).

Let me make a paranoid disclaimer in case you go to the flats in Cleveland. There are "good" and "bad" areas - but these terms are relative. The "good" areas are still not that good. Also, about every 10 years they decide to make the west bank "family friendly" - and have been doing so far longer than I've been alive; going back at least to the 1940s. Just be careful and travel in groups.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin