Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,537   Online: 1144

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ferndale is in peak photo season right now.
    The state fair is going on until Sunday (5 rolls of 220 and 5 of 120 shot so far and going back for more tonight) and the dream cruise starts tomorrow.

Sept 10 is a little early for colour isn't it? Clare and the date are aok with me. The pidgeon river is a little north, but easy to get to and very photogenic. Little manistee is very nice but a little harder to find and your stomping grounds, although even further north are very excellent (cherry festival?).

Luddington is easy, pretty and has tons of accomodations...

(EDIT)
    [COLOR=Navy]Let me back track a hair. Clare in Sept is great. As noted above, there are a lot of oppertunities for future meets.[/COLOR]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    ..see attached collodian image of the state of michigan for directions
    Don,

Are you doing wetplate? I just returned from a collodion workshop in NJ with Michael Mazzeo and am psyched to do some more soon. Ive accumulated all the stuff to do it on my own and am working on a portable field darkroom. I hope to have it set to go by next weekend.

Are you in Saugatuck by any chance? I've heard someone there does the process. I also know Albinger in Lansing used to make tintypes and there are a couple ambrotypists in the Detroit area I believe.

Any idea how many wetplate collodion photographers are in the state and who they are?

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    collodian image/print is different than a a collodian plate is it not?

FWIW and not yet for public consumption we are real close to getting scully and osterman for the APUG conference see http://www.collodian.org

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gim
    I don't think they allow dogs on most of the path. Only from the parking lot to chapel falls..."I think". It may be quite a walk for an old dog, its getting harder for me I notice.

If you don't have one, check the book store for "Michigan Atlas & Gazetteer". It has the state broke down and shows all the waterfalls in the state. There are a lot of them in the U.P.

I'm from Kazoo and live 50 miles north. If you get to kazoo, I'm good for coffee.

jim
    Sounds good, Jim!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    collodian image/print is different than a a collodian plate is it not?

FWIW and not yet for public consumption we are real close to getting scully and osterman for the APUG conference see http://www.collodian.org
    AFAIK the term "collodion image" would refer to either a wetplate collodion ambrotype glass positive, a tintype/ferrotype/melainotype positive on a metal sheet (iron in the past and aluminum contemporaneously), or a collodion negative glass plate. There were some dry collodion glass plates for negatives as well.

I've never heard of a collodion print, which is not to say there isn't such a thing.

Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    OK ! So, how about it ?

Peter.... and all ...

Gotta start someplace. How about September 10, in Clare, Michigan ?

If we meet in the middle of the state a couple times this fall, we can meet.. then retreat during the winter. I think Ferndale, maybe a studio tour, would be good in, oh, November or December.

Don

see attached collodian image of the state of michigan for directions
    Ok, Clare sounds good to me. The 10th will work out as well. Who else is on board?

For what it's worth i shoot 4x5 B&W only.

Oh, and how may i be of assistance in getting things together for this little gathering?
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe,
    I have been told that at one time (late 19th century) collodian prints were very popular, but have become more obscure.

I could be mis relaying or applying the information I was given.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterDendrinos
    Ok, Clare sounds good to me. The 10th will work out as well. Who else is on board?

For what it's worth i shoot 4x5 B&W only.

Oh, and how may i be of assistance in getting things together for this little gathering?
    Peter, I believe that I can make the drive up. However I will come up Friday evening more than likely. So I am gonna find a nice cheap hotel. How about a rec for a good meal and a beer? Also, for what's worth, I will shoot 35mm primarily, but I am planning on bringing my 4x5 (thanks, bobfowler) and perhaps when you or someone else has a little time maybe you could show me a few things.

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    Don,

Are you doing wetplate? .. .Are you in Saugatuck by any chance? ..

Joe
    Aw shucks, Joe. I was just fooling around. I'd like, in a couple years to take on wet plate. But, no.

don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterDendrinos
    Ok, Clare sounds good to me. The 10th will work out as well. Who else is on board?...

I guess by spreading the word, and representing the 'up north' contingent !

And we can figure out some details. Know anybody from Clare ?

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin