Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,782   Online: 875

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There will be a prize given for the greatest distance traveled.

Also, an award for the biggest lens.

Not much of prize, really, but a prize all the same.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi guys, should I create a "Great Lakes" regional group? If so what states should be included in the description? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean,
    That would be cool.
    From the US:
    Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and maybe NY, Pennsylvania and Minnesota

Canada would be Ontario

Anyone else have opinions on the subject?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Hi guys, should I create a "Great Lakes" regional group? If so what states should be included in the description? Thanks!
    Cool Sean: great ! Use John's territory: the more the merrier.

Add New Zealand if you wish
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    unless the Canadians have their own group, why not include them in the Great Lakes Group? My geography may be a bit rusty, but I would not be surprised to learn that Ontario has more Great Lakes shoreline than Michigan.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I did some scouting around Clare today. Came back with information Iíll put together and distribute Tuesday morning.

By the way for the rest of you, there is still time to get involved. At the moment there are about 5 of us, would love to see that number grow.

Pete
    "ÖAction always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Scouted out Calre.

Clare

Places to stay:

There is a small public campground right down town on the north side of Clare. Itís off the main drag which is Mcewan.

The park is named Pettit Park, itís a city operated deal, with self registration and no attendant on site. There are 16 30í deep sites with 30 amp electric, and 5 sites with out electric.

The rates are $10 for electric and $7 with no electric.

Itís a first come first serve deal, but after Labor Day I wouldnít think itís a problem.

There are modern restrooms, but no showers. There is an extra fee to dump your tanks if you choose to do so.

As far as hotels go, there is a Days Inn (989-802-0144) and a Holiday Inn Express (989-386-1111) both are located on the north end of Clare just off of Bus. 27

In addition there are basically all the major fast food chains in that area as well.

Down town there is a hotel with bar and restaurant named the Doherty Hotel (989-386-3441)

There is a Big Boy located in the area with the fast food joints that might be a good place to meet in the morning of the 10th. And there is a watering hole on the other end of town called Ruckles Pier, bar and grill. The locals thought it was the place to hang out for a drink or two at the end of the day.

For what itís worth, none of the hotels were expecting any large event in town that weekend, so rooms should be plentiful, but they all recommended booking soon.

I drove around the city of Clare looking for photo opps. Down town is a typical, small northern Michigan town. Some older some newer. The area dates back to the 1870ís or so. There is an Amish population near by, and some historical sites that may be worth looking at. The town it self has an old Railroad house that looked kind of cool. As well there is a small lake in town that might offer some shots.

I have a mass of literature on the area and itís surroundings we can review in the morning to make some kind of plan.

Questions and comments are welcome, just PM me. Iíll send out more info as it get it together.

And for those of you who may still be on the fence. We sure would love to have you there. So far it looks like;

Mrcallow
    dfcardwell
    ggriffi
    peterdendrinos
    gim

Would love to add more to that list!

Pete
    "ÖAction always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    fyi- New Great Lakes region has been setup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter,

I plan on staying at the "Lone Pine Hotel". Here is a link: http://travel.michigan.org/detail.asp?p=b6119 It is on Mc Ewan Street. Will be arriving sometime Friday evening, hopefully before 9pm, depending on what time I get off of work.

g

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm working out a plan to bring another couple and their baby as well as my wife. We'll be camping.

The wife of the other couple is a great street photographer and neither her nor I shoot dirt and trees (oops I mean landscapes), but I suspect we'll have fun.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin