Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,369   Online: 1191

View Poll Results: Which weekend might you be able to make?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 9 to 11, 2006

10 62.50%
  • June 23 to 25, 2006

10 62.50%
  • I can't make either weekend - Can we try another?

2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Bill,

I can probably make either weekend as of right now. In fact, I may be in the area a few miles south of East Jordan about that time. My preference would be whichever weekend falls closest to an outing the Midwest Large Format Asylum may be doing in the UP around that time. I've posted a request in their forum for more information and will let you know as soon as possible. June is a marvelous time to be in that area.

Sounds like a good time. I'd love to see a platinum demo and I could probably bring along chemistry for cyanotypes and Van Dyke brownprinting in addition to the wetplate stuff. Wilderness State Park was on my list of places to visit this year so this is all working out nicely for me. I also have an old friend who lives in Cross Village and it will be great to see him again while I'm in the area.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    I could probably bring along chemistry for cyanotypes and Van Dyke brownprinting in addition to the wetplate stuff.
    That would be great Joe. I'm sure we can set up a good work area as there is plenty of room inside. Only hitch might be all the windows and skylights! I've been building the place with a lot of light for studio work as well. There are a couple rooms that can be made dark enough for coating and burning.
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    Wilderness State Park was on my list of places to visit this year so this is all working out nicely for me. I also have an old friend who lives in Cross Village and it will be great to see him again while I'm in the area.
    All in the neighborhood. Who's your friend? Wilderness is part of the experience. There is a "secret" little lake there that is very private and great for shooting. Actually a flooding complete with dead cedar stumps, etc. Incredible on a still day. It can be like glass. Just you, the Beavers and a yearly family of Osprey. Great Bass fishing too.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeisLugh
    I'd love to be able to come, but I'll have to find out just how managable for me that will be.
    We'd love to have you if you can make it. There is a whole lot of beautiful country between us for you to travel through, that is for certain! If you've time, I've done the ferry from Tobermory to Manitoulin Island then across the bridge at Little Current and up around through Espanola and Blind River. Pretty incredible drive and saves that drive around the big bay.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterDendrinos
    I would be more than happy to contact the folks on the list and let them know about this, in the event they don't see this.
    Great Pete, thanks. I will get ahold of a couple hotels in the area and try to get a block discount. I'll also get maps and an info package ready to give to everyone.

There is a great place in Cross Village called the [COLOR=SandyBrown]Legs Inn[/COLOR]. Decent Polish food, usually a good band on the weekends and one of the coolest bars you'll ever visit. It can be a good place as well for a group dinner. Can get a good group rate there too.

Glad everyone is interested! More to come...

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=billschwab]I've done the ferry from Tobermory to Manitoulin Island

Hi Bill, thanks for the link to this thread. I was not aware of it.

I was thinking about going back to Manitoulin Island this summer, but take a LF camera this time.

I hiked the Cup and Saucer trail (beautiful view and a "cave") and viewed the waterfall the last time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R
    I was thinking about going back to Manitoulin Island this summer, but take a LF camera this time.
    Manitoulin is a great place! I've chartered sailboats with friends out of Gore Bay in the past. The Georgian Bay is spectacular with all the little islands and safe anchorages. There is some great, rocky coastline to the north over the bridge as well.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would truly love to come but I am afraid that if I broached the subject with my wife, she would cut off my arm and beat me to death with it.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Gim

I'm good for either weekend and looking forward to it.
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I still haven't been able to contact Don Feinberg about the MWLFA trip to the UP. I emailed him and posted a message to the MWLFA forum a couple weeks ago with no response from him. So, whichever weekend you decide is OK by me. I'll plan to be there.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK Joe... Leaning toward the second week. The weather gets better every week in June and things should be consistantly warm by then. More to come.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, Either weekend is good. Looking forward to getting up that way.

Jerry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

testing the portable wetplate darktent

I went to the Cross Village area last week and took my new portable darkroom rig with me on a test run. There are a few bugs to work out of it, but I should be up and running full-tilt by the time June rolls around.

Here's a wetplate image on a full-plate enamaled aluminum sheet I exposed Sunday afternoon a few miles north of Cross Village on the dunes of a county park along Lake Michigan:

And a picture of the darktent and my 11x14:

More pics of the darktent .

Looking forward to the June get-together and to meeting everyone.

Joe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin