Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,685   Online: 808

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Such a wonderful event, everyone so willing to share their time and knowledge, and the level of work was really humbling. Jamie, it's going to take all my will power to stay away from ebay looking for some wierd panoramic camera! I really enjoyed your presentations. Bill thanks again for a fun and very inspiring event.

Ike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just got back from a trip out of the country and wanted to say a belated thank you to Bill and to everyone who made the trip up to northern Michigan for a wonderful time. As usual, Bill was a very gracious and entertaining host (including some good tales about experiences with certain pharmaceutical products ). The sharing of prints was particularly rewarding- nothing beats seeing and holding the real deal, including the many fantastic vintage prints Tom Halstead brought up. Particular thanks to Jamie Young for his presentations and demonstrations of panoramic photography with cirkut cameras, and to Joe Smietlitz for showing us his new "Magic Bus" mobile wet plate darkroom, which was just plain COOL! I had a great time and I'm already looking forward to next year.

All the best,
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Daniel,
    It was good seeing you again. Too bad you had to leave early, but the trip you took was more important. I hope it went well. Looking forward to seeing what you shot.

Jerry

CGross
    Daniel, good to hear you are back, safe and sound. Hope you had a wonderful trip. And as Jerry said, I too am looking forward to seeing your prints from the outing. Hopefully things work out so we can get together soon for some shooting around the area.

Cody

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

WIldfires!

Just a bit of info about the area... I was up where we all were a couple months back in the Tahquamanon Falls area yesterday photographing and the road was closed at the upper falls. Seems there is a rapidly expanding wildfire that has already consumed more than 5,000 acres just west of the falls. It was strange getting back to the Mackinaw Bridge and finding it almost completely concealed in the smoky haze. There was a cool north wind last night and the smoke was all the way south to my place here in the Cross Village area some 80 miles away. No fun living in the tinder dry woods with the smell of wildfires in the air! Made for an incredible sunset though!

It is really dry. The falls are reduced to almost a trickle and less than half of what they usually are. I've never seen them this dry. Usually around 40 -50,000 gallons per minute go over... they are now at about 1,314 gallons per minute. Amazing...

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info, Bill. We are planning a trip north in the next couple of weeks, keep us posted on what you know.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Bill,

I hope the fire stays 80 miles away, or better yet gets put out by rain. Good Luck. We had a fluke 6 inches of rain in an hour and a half in Cleveland's snow belt late last week. That caused havoc in the rush hour. Most of Cleveland and certainly here south of Cleveland had clear, hot, sunny skies. Our pond is down two feet.

Thanks again for a wonderful gathering. Hope to see you all here next year.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 08-05-2007 at 10:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fire is not being reported in the Detroit area, in spite of the fact that it is prime vacation season and many from this area go there at this time of year. It is big news up north.

http://www.9and10news.com/category/story/?id=120184

I do hope they get it under control soon, and without loss of life. The DNR indicates it will take at least a week - and that is a wild guess.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I live 50 miles south of the Mackinaw Bridge and we have been getting haze and that awful burning smell from the Newberry wildfire for several days now, depending on the wind direction. The Seney area suffered a similar burn 30 or 40 years ago and it's effects are still visible. Our area has had no significant ran in at least 30 days and the woods are dry and brittle. The next 5 days show a 30% chance of rain at best. Please be careful out there, even a car left running or just parked over dry grasses can spark a fire...Dennis
    "All I want is a warm bed and a kind word, and unlimited power."[FONT="Verdana"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The fire as reported has now grown to over 10,000 acres and is showing no sign of slowing. In fact, AP is reporting that they have lost ground on it in the last couple days. Seems it is expanding both north and south. Still in uninhabited areas and no structures or lives have been lost thankfully. They also brought in a Water-Bomber from Minnesota to help with fighting the fire from the air. It is in pretty unaccessible areas and is apparently hard to fight.

On another note, I have attached a snap I made of the falls on Friday to show how it is drying up. Compare it to Bob's photograph as posted in the gallery. Looks like we're becoming the new desert!

Bill
    Last edited by billschwab; 12-30-2007 at 04:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin