Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,245   Online: 727

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a question for y'all. At the shindig in June it was obvious many were using thiocarbamide toning to get a subtle sepia effect on their prints. I found that curious since so many of the images I thought would lend themselves to even cold or neutral tones.

I've never used the stuff on silver gelatin but I realized it is thiourea by another name and that's a chemical I use in Clerc's Gold Toner when doing VDBs or salt prints. In those processes, I like the purplish color the toner produces.

I'm wondering if anyone using this stuff has either experimented with Clerc's on silver gel, or just how purple the non-gold thiocarbamide toner can get on silver gelatin papers (using what is it, a small amount of thiocarbamide relative to the sodium hydroxide component)? Can someone post some image examples of extreme toning where the thiocarbamide prints have gone purplish? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Joe

p.s., Bill et.al, I appreciate the continuing reports on the UP wildfire. I'm thinking of heading that way a couple weekends from now (if they can put it out). It should be a very eeirie landscape for several years as the Jack Pines reclaim it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    It should be a very eeirie landscape for several years as the Jack Pines reclaim it.
    Hey Joe!

I'm heading up there to have a look at whatever I can see later this week and will report back. I too have been imagining an interesting landscape to make use of. I do hear that they are getting it under control today which is very good news.

Bill

PS. Let me know when you come up as I will be around much of the next couple of months.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Hey Joe!

I'm heading up there to have a look at whatever I can see later this week and will report back. I too have been imagining an interesting landscape to make use of. I do hear that they are getting it under control today which is very good news.

Bill

PS. Let me know when you come up as I will be around much of the next couple of months.

Bill,

That sounds pretty interesting. When did you say you were going to have the Fall Quarterly Northern Michigan Gathering?

By the way the Ansel Adams exhibit at the Cleveland Institute of Art closes August 19, if you or any of the others in the group feel like traveling to Cleveland. The “Icons of American Photography” exhibit at the Cleveland Museum of Art, across the street, continues to Sept. 16th. The Akron Museum of Art has just opened after its renovation with a new photography wing filled with very contemporary work. Always a bed at the Powers' house for members of NMAG group.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm curious to hear what the landscape looks like as well. It's a different thing, but the prairie burns done around here rejuvinate really fast (in the spring) and don't look like much after a few days. The thin poor soil in the up might be a lot different.
    Best, Jamie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good to hear about getting the fire under control. I'll be up there in 2 weeks.
    Maybe I'll see you up there Bill.

Jerry

Gim

Bill and anybody, keep us posted on the burn. I plan on going to Pictured Rock later in Sep. and will certainly check out the burn area. It should be interesting to see how it heals.
    Best,
    Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey Bill, be careful snooping around up there. They might give you a shovel and make a fire line builder out of you!

As far as Jamie's comment, I recall in my early years fighting small grass fires in the spring, then going back a week or so later to see the grass sprouting the most vivid, beautiful green. They used to say the fire liberated nitrogen into the soil which caused the growth. And, it has been known for years that fire is a natural and needed phenomenon in the ecosystem. When allowed to burn on a regular basis it cleans out the undergrowth and plant debris that litters the forest floor. But when we continually fight the fires (usually to protect man made encroachments) all that stuff builds up and results in more destructive fires. I'll get off my soapbox now before someone sets it on fire!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After major fires raked through Yellowstone a few years back, National Geographic went in and did a piece a year or two later showing the re-emergence of life in the burned out area. Most interesting. The burned landscape will certainly be much different than the forest that burned. Given the very shallow topsoil and short growing season, it will likely take a couple of centuries to reach climax forest again.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    About a decade ago I went to the Keeweenaw partway via the southern US 2 route. Somewhere just outside of Manistique along the shore was an old burned forest. All crunchy white lichen and charred trees on old dunes. Really a creepy cool landscape.

I returned a couple years later to photograph it and it was gone. Green Jack Pines saturating the area...

Either that or I got lost, but I don't think so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just saw on the news that forest fire is up to 19,000 acres and still out of control.

Jerry

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin