Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,716   Online: 793

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Peter,

Thanks.
    The first day of the event is tomorrow afternoon.
    Bring those lenses over for a look see.

John
    John,

I think you forgot the tongue in cheek smiley. Some folks might think it really does start tomorrow, as opposed to you getting an advance peek at Peter's lens stash. As the generous organizer and host, I don't mind you getting an advance look, but don't be surprised if I show up early too.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Lee who?

I'll just tell the Labradors that you have tennis balls in your pack.

Peter, Bob Herbst, Robert Puckett and I have have been going to this place for several years, so there is really no advance look. It has been that way all along. It is just amazing what has come from that salvage company. In my case a 30x40 light table, flat files, oak multi drawer type cabinet, cases of paper for Dolly's First Graders. How many Amish do we know with five fork lift trucks and two semi 18 wheeler tractor trailers? My understanding is that they bring in equipment from all over the country, not just the Cleveland area, salvage and ship scrap to India. I can assure you from personal experience that the lens box will have beautiful glass.

John
    Last edited by jp80874; 09-04-2008 at 08:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee who?

I'll just tell the Labradors that you have tennis balls in your pack.

John
    I'll bring the old serving machine to keep them busy while I waylay Peter and go through the lenses.

I have a friend that worked at a press in North Carolina that closed down. The owner's son in law snagged the nearly new process lenses and took them apart just for fun. Oy!!

I have to be careful about collecting at this point, but I'm moderating, not abstaining. Besides, lenses are relatively small. Yeah, that's the ticket...

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As emails have come in from members saying they will be coming to the event, each has asked for further information on the schedule. Here is the current version, evolving as it goes. We look forward to your visit and are open to ideas.

John

The event dates are:
    Wednesday, September 17th through Sunday, September 21st, 2008

Tentative Schedule

My hope is that people will do what they want and enjoy each other as I did at our role model, Bill Schwab’s Photostock 2008. I look forward to seeing people’s work. For me that was one of the most enjoyable parts of Bill’s event. Please bring prints to show.

My suggestion following Bill’s plan is to meet each morning around 9 AM to decide what we want to do, or give direction to those that want to head out on their own.
    9AM lets some go out at day break to shoot and others sleep in or get breakfast. Each afternoon other than Thursday we can meet back at the house at 5 PM, look at prints and gather for one of the local restaurants. Conversation can continue around the camp fire after that until the last person falls down. That may be a good lead in to bring your own chair and bring your own beverage.

We will have 35mm through Large Format shooters. I expect people to work at different speeds and encourage anyone to simply stay with what appeals to them. Then catch up with the group at 5 PM. The tentative schedule is: Wednesday, I will show who ever is here, the things in the neighborhood that I enjoy. These include a covered bridge, a restoration 1830s village and Hale Farm, a large beaver built pond full of game and pond plants, a Heron rockery, several 1830s canal locks in various states of restoration or decay, cliffs with trees hanging on by their long extended roots, and the Seiberling Nature Realm with beautiful and unusual plantings. There is also Blue Hen Falls and Brandywine Falls, but August has been very dry. If time allows we can also stop at the Country Maid ice cream store for purely photographic interests.

Thursday we can start the day at 9 AM. Then work into Akron where Cascade Park has four 100+ foot locks in a mile, an 1830’s canal general store, the new Akron Art Museum with very interesting architecture (see links within the thread), the declining tire industry with old and abandoned factories. Dinner will be at the Greek Festival with wonderful food and atmosphere. We can then go home and start up the fire and talk.

Friday after the 9 AM meeting we can go into Cleveland. In the flats of the Cuyahoga River it is said that you can’t take a picture with less than three bridges. Five bridges of all periods and types of architecture in one picture is much more common. Near there is the IM Pei Rock and Roll Hall of fame. From there we can go out to University Circle by Little Italy for food, to The Frank Gehry designed School of Business Administration, the brand new Cleveland Institute of Music and the Cleveland Botanical Gardens. Look within the thread for reviews and links to these.
    5 PM we will meet back at the house, show prints and go to dinner.

By Saturday you may already have found favorites to shoot and explore some more. I can give pointers. Each person will have a map of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I encourage you to look at CVNP’s website before you come to see what interests you. I can help you get to those places. This will be a good time for showing the darkroom gear.

Jeff mentioned building a darkroom and I offered mine as one person’s ideas. It is also there for anyone who has a camera emergency or needs to load film holders. For those that like dogs in flight we have two yellow Labradors that are addicted to flying tennis balls. For those with a sports car interest there is a white 1955 Porsche Speedster. It is said that there are no straight lines on this car, only curves.

This is just a general idea open to any suggestions.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Friday after the 9 AM meeting we can go into Cleveland.
    You may want to move Cleveland to Saturday or Sunday - parking is a bloody PITA at the best of times and the streets have been torn-up with world-class incompetence. Even with 2/3 the population gone the city is still not easy to move around in. And it would be good to add a stop to the salvage stores to the tour.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    You may want to move Cleveland to Saturday or Sunday - parking is a bloody PITA at the best of times and the streets have been torn-up with world-class incompetence. Even with 2/3 the population gone the city is still not easy to move around in. And it would be good to add a stop to the salvage stores to the tour.
    Good point. Thank you. Would this change present a problem for anyone?

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I was thinking about Peter Spangenberg's offer to bring lenses to sell from our favorite printer's salvage shop. If others of you would like to bring items to swap or sell, please do so. You can easily put them out for display at our 5 PM gatherings. Please do so at your own risk. The Powers family, dogs, Dolly and John, assume no responsibilty for loss or misrepresentation.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I need to ask...
    Is there a fee/donation/etc for this gathering? What about food? I am planning on coming I just haven't figured out the details. I may have a 16x20 Saunder's Easel (not *precisely* square) that I just got for $300 and would love to trade My Jeep doesn't have enough room to haul all the stuff I'd like to trade.

Also, how many cameras / formats are people bringing? I need to invest in an Adams pack mule! I am really looking forward to this in spite of everything!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Might I suggest a print swap? Everyone interested brings a print/plate for the pool and numbers are assigned to each. Then the numbers go into a hat and each participant draws. Saturday or Sunday would probably be the best days for this to allow most people to get there.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    I need to ask...
    Is there a fee/donation/etc for this gathering? What about food? I am planning on coming I just haven't figured out the details. I may have a 16x20 Saunder's Easel (not *precisely* square) that I just got for $300 and would love to trade My Jeep doesn't have enough room to haul all the stuff I'd like to trade.

Also, how many cameras / formats are people bringing? I need to invest in an Adams pack mule! I am really looking forward to this in spite of everything!
    Dorothy,

Glad to hear you are still coming.

There is no fee other than I asked campers to split the cost of the porta potty. Since the house has a pretty fickle septic system it might be better if all visitors used the porta potty. In that case I think we will ask all to contribute. The first price I got was $90 just for the two day weekend. I am continuing to shop. I haven’t figured out the best way to collect a contribution from all. Suggestions gratefully considered.

"What about food? " We had been planning to eat out. There are two charcoal grills. If people want to cook on site they are welcome. This does add to the clean up though. Help from all will be appreciated. We will have trash cans and bags out. Please be careful and secure any food. We have dogs, raccoons, possum and coyote actively about.

“Also, how many cameras / formats are people bringing? “ We still have a lot of people who are not sure if they are coming or what days they will be here if they come. In some cases it hinges on what their employer says or family problems. What format they will bring becomes secondary at that point. My hope is that as many who can will come and enjoy themselves. If they take pictures, that is good also. It appears that we may have 20 people here at various times, not all at the same time. That is only a guess.

John
    Last edited by jp80874; 09-11-2008 at 10:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin