Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,591   Online: 1113

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18222324252627282930313233 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My motives are only almost totally selfish. I have some work I'd like to finish at these spots, and I feel like I'm running out of time before the "big freeze". Only offering because I thought there was some interest in one or both of these locations. I suppose I could change my plans if I will henceforth be referred to as "the guest thief"?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    The Ohio Department of Natural Resources will post a Fall Color report in the next 24 hours which I will copy and paste here.
    "Updated reports are available from ODNR each Tuesday through early November."

Last week it wasn’t posted until 1 AM Wednesday. This week’s Tuesday report is still not posted at 8:30 AM Wednesday. I have tried refresh. Tell me if I am missing something. You may want to check yourself.

http://ohiodnr.com/news/home_page/Ne...7/Default.aspx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,

I put in a request to ODNR to delay fall a week or two until I had more time to shoot, having missed it the last two years for other reasons. That's probably the reason for the delay.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Spangenberg View Post
    My motives are only almost totally selfish. I have some work I'd like to finish at these spots, and I feel like I'm running out of time before the "big freeze". Only offering because I thought there was some interest in one or both of these locations. I suppose I could change my plans if I will henceforth be referred to as "the guest thief"?

Well, several of us were wondering about your hanging around grave yards thing, the detailed pictures of grave stones, especially new ones, your tendency to carry a shovel in the car, your reluctance to be out in the sun, those two teeth that seem to hang out over your lip.... Just wondering, mind you. Could there be a connection between this and "the guest thief" thing?

Name withheld to protect the wary. Disregard the Avatar. It is another person.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Revised Weather Prediction

Friday, Oct 17
    High: 57 °F
    Partly sunny and cool
    Low: 40 °F

Saturday, Oct 18
    High: 59 °F ABUNDANT SUNSHINE!!!
    Low: 41 °

Sunday, Oct 19
    High: 64 °F Partly Sunny!11

Shooter
    Multi Format

Latest ODNR colors report

John et al,

Looks like this weekend is good timing. The new ODNR report is here: http://ohiodnr.com/news/home_page/Ne...6/Default.aspx

Looks like I might be able to do Sat and Sun. Probably will sleep at home overnight, but with the earlier sunsets, could certainly do dinner with the group.

I may or may not have a cell phone, but wouldn't mind meeting up with folks for shooting before we converge in the evenings if that can be worked out.

Lee

(John, on your local ramblings this week, where are the most interesting grays? )
    Last edited by Lee L; 10-16-2008 at 10:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jeff and Eva just asked about the cheap motel about a mile away. I think it was $40 a night, but ask the motel. It could be a little chilly and damp in a tent this weekend, to say nothing of a shower and bathroom. I know you guys are all macho and tough. My father traveled all his career and was a room service kinda guy. I was 26 and a combat engineer in the Army before I went camping. Want a bathroom? Flip a coin, C-4 explosive or D-9 bulldozer.

Ohio Motel
    2250 Cleveland-Massillion Rd.
    Bath, OH 44210
    tel: 330-659-9999

In case you didn't see it when you were here, they are roughly half a mile south of Everett Rd. (our road) on the north south road that changes names from Brecksville Rd. to Cleveland Massillon Rd.. They are on the west side of that road.

I don't want no stinking, leaky, crabby people yelling at me when I pour coffee for the 9 AM gathering.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    I don't want no stinking, leaky, crabby people yelling at me when I pour coffee for the 9 AM gathering.

John
    Can we sit upwind on a tarp and be quietly sullen?

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    (John, on your local ramblings this week, where are the most interesting grays? )
    Fields of Gray. I was south of Barberton, OH at one of the five PPG Lime Lakes on the Ohio & Erie Canal. As I understand it PPG made soda ash for thirty + years. A ton of product yielded 1.5 tons of lime slurry waste. In pre EPA days they would let the water evaporate in these settling lakes. One completely filled over the canal for miles. Now with a little encouragement from the government, they are mixing lime with purchased waste water sludge to make lovely fields of green trees and grass.

Today it is a gray white moonscape with huge dump trucks they call Floaters. A Floater has six, ten foot high by four foot wide tires and all wheel drive. The truck's huge dump bed is filled with three scoops from a modern version of a steam shovel and it all gets mixed, I think with graders, though I didn’t see that part. The 7x17 negatives, over exposed and underdeveloped to get detail of three trucks and a shovel, contrasted with the moonscape, are simply amazing.

Dolly says the maple leaves look good also.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Can we sit upwind on a tarp and be quietly sullen?

Lee
    I want to see either of us be quietly anything.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin