Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,252   Online: 1014

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The recently finished renovation of the Akron Art Museum and its new Photographic wing were mentioned here earlier as things to photograph and see in our area. Read an interview in B&W (US) issue 58, April 2008, page 52, of collectors Fred & Laura Bidwell. They are photographers. He was president of the Museum for eight years, ran the building fund raising & design committee. She chairs the accessions committee and has run a gallery. They donated the photography wing, have half their collection on display now, bring major photographers to lecture and do workshops at the University. Their bringing Lois Conner to University of Akron is the reason I got into LF and specifically 7x17. This may give you an idea of the photographic spirit of the neighborhood you will be visiting.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Help us find some new spots for the out of town visitors and make some new negatives to print.

John Powers
    I don't know how much you travels take you North on River Road, or if you have been to these two places; I keep visiting these spots over-and-over. I think others would enjoy visiting these places with a view camera. These two locations are in the Brecksville reservation just off River Road.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...wacreekjpg.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...acer/8x101.jpg

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Charlie Bassett

It sound great but the date is the important thing for me. It is a 5-6 hour drive and most of my weekends (sat,) are taken up coaching tennis. I will see after you set the date.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cbassett View Post
    It sound great but the date is the important thing for me. It is a 5-6 hour drive and most of my weekends (sat,) are taken up coaching tennis. I will see after you set the date.

Charlie,

Welcome to APUG. Happy to have you interested in this event with your first post. A little bit back in this thread I suggested a date and reasons why that might be a good time. "So how do you feel about the week leading up to the weekend of September 18-21?" I was surprised that there was no discussion.

Lets try again. Are those of you interested in coming to this event happy with the week leading up to the weekend of September 18-21? Several have said to me off line that they are coming when ever it is, but I realize that the dates can be critical for others. What do you all think?

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That sounds like a fine time of year for me. I'll be coming from Toledo. I'm just a 35mm shooter, with way too much gear, but I'm still using film. I'm not a hiker or camper, but burn lots of film.
    Ken

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=ic-racer;591266]I don't know how much you travels take you North on River Road, or if you have been to these two places; I keep visiting these spots over-and-over. I think others would enjoy visiting these places with a view camera. These two locations are in the Brecksville reservation just off River Road.QUOTE]

Ic Racer,

Those look to be a great addition and quite different from what I have been shooting. I may have seen the rocks in the river that goes under Rt. 82 near the Brecksville entrance to the park, but it could easily be from another area.

Thank you and the others who have added ideas to this plan. The event is ours to make interesting and enjoyable for the group. As I am typing this I got a call from Peter Spangenberg who chimed in earlier. We are setting up a date to photograph at Blue Hen Falls. http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/bluehen.shtml. It is two miles from the house and should have a bit more snow and ice this week than in the linked picture. This park is a wonderful place, constantly changing.

Wow, my 1000th post. I am glad it is setting up something for many of us in APUG to enjoy.

John Powers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey View Post
    That sounds like a fine time of year for me. I'll be coming from Toledo. I'm just a 35mm shooter, with way too much gear, but I'm still using film. I'm not a hiker or camper, but burn lots of film.
    Ken
    Ken,

No need to camp. Once I have a count I plan to talk to the local motels to see if we can get a group rate. There is one motel at the Turnpike and Rt. 77 that is about five miles from our house. The others probably aren't ten miles away.

Film burners are welcome. At the beginning of the event i hope to take people around to some of the spots I like. Other locals may do the same. Some of the places we are talking about are a few feet from the car, some are a hike, hopefully something for everyone. We can all meet for dinner and tell lies about our day.

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't the Metro Park off River Road the South Chagrin Reservation?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Curtis View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't the Metro Park off River Road the South Chagrin Reservation?
    Bob,

It wouldn't surprise me if there is more than one River Road around here. What I understood, and I may be wrong, is the road that runs along the west side of the Cuyahoga River. The south end would be on the north side of Akron going to Peninsula at Rt. 303. The area I believe Ic-Racer mentions is the continuation north of that road to where it crosses Rt. 82 east of Brecksville. That road continues north to I believe Rockside.

Possibly another way of looking at it is, we have so many beautiful parks around here, national and local. Add that to the Buckeye trails traveling over several park systems and our own family's back yard of nearly a hundred acres. Maybe we should just call it Northern Ohio Gathering, Fall of 2008, in the park.

My two Labradors and I have hiked the South Chagrin Reservation with a group called Hiking Hounds and it is beautiful. I believe there is a River Rd. that hits Miles Rd. near one of the park entrances.

APUG, you all come to the NE OH parks and shoot film.

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    You're right John, there is a lot to see here. Another possibility is the geodesic dome at the American Society for Metals headquarters.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin