Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,803   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 33 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Northern Ohio Gathering, Fall of 2008, Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Last June, twenty four enthusiastic, Midwestern, photographers, met at Bill Schwab’s Northern Michigan event. It was a wonderful meeting of like minds, camaraderie, visiting Bill’s favorite places to shoot, learning from and helping happy film nuts. It was a joy to see such excellent work and hear people talk about processes they were trying. The only thing I didn’t like was that when it was over there wasn’t going to be another one for a year.

In an effort to change that we would like to stage an additional Midwestern gathering in the Fall of 2008, not in competition with Bill, but an addition. This is the planning stage. We need feedback and interest in having a second gathering, possibly late September – early October of 2008. If there is enough interest we will put it on.

Dolly and I live about a mile from the western edge of the park, roughly five miles from the OH turnpike and RT 77, between Akron and Cleveland. We have three acres attached to her family’s 87 acres. There is room for 10-12 tents if people want to camp. We would need to rent a porta potty for the campers. Cold drinkable water is available. Within five miles there is every chain hotel and restaurant. We can plan cook outs or have meals out as we did in Michigan. My darkroom is available for loading film holders and camera emergencies. Visiting workshops, presentations and individual show and tell are encouraged.

Possible photo subjects arranged by distance:

At home - pond, barn, woods, fields, streams, horses, dogs, deer by night, heron, geese, ducks by day, 1955 356 Porsche speedster

2-5 miles – three water falls, fifteen OH-Erie canal locks in various states of disrepair, heron rookery with 150+ nests, covered wooden bridge, goat farm, scenic railroad, ponds, 1830s restoration village (no tripods), lakes, marsh, beaver dams, grass land, forests, 50 foot cliffs, caves, streams feeding the Cuyahoga River, farm orchard producing home made ice cream and pies (purely of photographic interest), OH Turnpike bridges crossing the Cuyahoga River gorge.

20 miles- Cleveland flats were it is said that you can not take a picture without including three bridges, five is common, lake freighters 700-1,000 feet long, Lake Erie Industrial shore to scenic beaches. Thriving and failed industry. Frank Gehry designed -. Weatherhead School of Management. I. M. Pei designed - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. New Photography wing at the Akron Art Museum. New Photography wing at the Cleveland Art Museum may be finished, not sure.

Additional information - http://www.nps.gov/cuva/ Cuyahoga Valley National Park

What do you think of the idea?
    Would you attend such a gathering?
    What questions do you have?
    How many days should it be?
    What would you add or subtract?

COME ON OVER !!!

John & Dolly Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is driving distance for me so I'd be very interested in attending. The only holdup for me is my girlfriend and I are going on vacation next October. I don't know the dates exactly, but if I can swing it, I'm there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a great idea. It's about a 45 minute drive for me so assuming the dates work I'd love to attend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pretty sure I'm in for at least a couple days John. It will be a great time of year in your parts. Looking forward to it.

Bill

Gim

If I'm not out west next fall I would love to be at your gathering. Good idea.
    Jim

CGross
    John, definately a YES for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi John, as we discussed at bill's.....I am in for sure. I can't wait. Looking at the subjects to photograph on your list I suppose one could spend a weeks there. I would be happy with an extended weekend (i.e. Thurs-Sun) but would stay longer.

See you next fall.

Regards,
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope we can make this work with the gathering we're planning annually for Minnesota too. Unfortunately it's right around the same time we're planning it, so I hope that doesn't throw any 'sticks in the wheels' for either of our groups, in that fewer people will attend both conferences.
    If I can find the time, money, and still be at peace with the war department I will try to make it to Michigan in the spring, as well as Lake Superior and Ohio in the fall. Sounds like there is great interest from lots of interesting people!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,
    Sounds like another wonderful opportunity to hang out, share ideas/work, and maybe even make some photographs. I would love to join in the fun.

All the best,
    Daniel

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to attend: its a long drive for me but then so is Bill's and it's worth it. This sounds interesting. 2-3 days is probably a good start and can be adjusted later based on what is learned. September could be a problem for me, though: the third weekend is currently booked for a UP Michigan trip with another group. The next weekend in September or early October works for me.

Mike

Page 1 of 33 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin