Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,787   Online: 1039

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bob Carnie's "Tales From the Darkroom"

Hello Everyone,

Just an update on this year's gathering. We now have over 50 people registered! Pretty incredible. Knowing all that register can't always attend, I am still planning on there being quite a few new faces this year.

With the increase in attendance, I am urging all to make their lodging arrangements soon. I was contacted the other day by the Birchwood Inn saying people were already making reservations! They are offering discounts for us this year across their various room offerings. When you call, mention that you are with North Light Press/Workshops and they will let you know what is available. There are a lot of other choices for lodging as well and you can visit this LINK for more information on our area and what is available.

I am also happy to announce that Bob Carnie of Elevator has agreed to bring along his Tales from the Darkroom presentation to share with all of us. Bob will be presenting a short overview of current professional imaging options and services. He will address how he has adjusted to the changing photographic landscape and where he sees the industry's future for Professional labs and photographers who's focus is on quality photography.

For those that may not know Bob, he has been printing shows for various international photographers for over 17 years. Prior to owning his own company he worked in various high-end labs that gave him the skills, experience, knowledge and exposure to start his own business and give that business a specific, Fine Art concentration.

Thanks to Bob for agreeing to do this!

Bill Schwab

www.northlightworkshops.com
    Last edited by North Light Press; 03-20-2008 at 08:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    A great photographic site Bill showed us last year almost got dried up.
    Department of Natural Resources plan to drain O’Neal Lake put on hold for one year.
    http://www.petoskeynews.com/articles...c399619533.txt

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well it looks like I will be there pending a date for something else, but will be in MI for a while for personal reasons.

I'm likely going to stay at Wilderness State Park and would like to know if others will be there and which area in the park are being considered or have been reserved by others, before making my camp reservation. Closest to the hotels/motels others are staying at.

So, chime in if anyone else is camping. (I messaged Bill from the Northlight page as well)

Thanks

Matt
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    John: thanks for the article link. That little lake is such a natural jewel that it should be just left alone. Why the DNR would spend time and money "improving" it with all of the other environmental issues we have in this state is just beyond me. Makes me wonder what the initials DNR actually stand for!!!

*stepping down from soapbox*

I am planning to camp up north the whole time. Wilderness State Park is such a nice place that I may consider camping up there for a day or two...good idea, Matt.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I had originally planned on staying at the Birchwood, but now I'm considering changing that to camping. Pitching a tent in Bill's yard is nice, especially for the late-night talking around the campfire. However, Wilderness State Park for a couple of nights would be a great idea - I like the idea of waking up next to some early-morning photogenic sites.

As far as I know, Wilderness has one large campsite with showers and toilets, consisting of two sections, one on the beach and the other back in the woods. I stayed there many years ago. It's not all that close to Bill's place - the road to get there takes kind of a big circle, I believe. There are also a number of rustic cabins ($60/night, I think), many of them on the shoreline and another in the interior which may be a hike-in rather than drive-in. I've never stayed at one of those.

In recent years I have only been to the south edge of the park. Maybe someone with more current knowledge of the northern part, which includes the campsite, will have more to say, and correct any errors I've made here.

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I forgot about Bill offering his backyard...that may be cool since the campfire thing is there. So a few days there and maybe a night at the State Park..
    Let's pick a site there and which day if any interest, if not, Bill's is fine. The park offers showers though, so if someone can say it's "20 minutes away" or whatever from Bill's it would be helpful to me in making a decision.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mapquest says the distance from Bill's place to the park is about 21 miles, 32 minutes estimated. That's somewhat further than the distance to the Birchwood Inn, which is 16 miles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt,

Sorry to be slow on this. Wilderness is a beautiful park and well worth the stay. As was said though, it is a round about way to get their from my place. Although I am not far south of Wilderness, I am on the Sturgeon Bay side and there is no road along the shoreline. I would say it is more of a 30-35 minute drive up there from me. A beautiful drive though, but going back and forth more than once a day might get tiresome.

I like to work along the north shore near there at the entrance to the Straits. Lot of beach, marsh and cedar swamps along the way. I usually take a group up there. From Wilderness you are closer to Mackinaw and the bridge to the UP as well. We could try to coordinate things to meet anyone staying at the park. unfortunately there is really no camping that is any closer. As you know, you are also welcome to camp on the property. Tent camping only however. There are 10 acres and it is all wooded except for the cabin clearing that is the center of the gathering and back in the woods near the house.

This year I also have arrangements to rent a small house right in Cross Village. It has 3 bedrooms and I am figuring on 3 people there for now. The cost will be less than a hotel and is a closer to the property. Details haven't been worked out on that yet, but I will make an announcement through a soon to be mailed newsletter.

More to come...

Bill

-----------------------------
    www.northlightworkshops.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Does anyone know if gas outboard motors are allowed on O'Neal Lake? If you don't know, do you know where that information can be found? I remember when Bill took us there a guy was pulling his boat out, but I can't remember if it was powered.

I ask because I have an eight foot dingy and a 4hp motor. I think the boat could be carried on the roof of my Toyota Highlander. There might be additional interesting photos else where in that beautiful lake. I would have to land to use the LF camera. Not the first set of wet feet in my life. The dingy could hold two of us and gear if there were any volunteers to help lift the boat to and from the roof. No we will not be using it instead of the ferry to go to Mackinac Island.

John Powers

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I think I am going to spend most of my time at the Bridge..

I have been waiting for years to yell **Holy Mackinaw**
    **very sad Toronto Maple Leaf cheer** I am trying to bring a Canadian contigent with me to hang out as well.

We are really looking forward to this, I didn't make the first Woodstock but I sure am looking forward to dropping some acid and having fun at this one.

Bill send Callow the goods so we can promote.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin