Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,283   Online: 1190

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie young View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the week. I'm not all that interested in the Mackinac Island myself and will be looking for more natural scenes. I'm in love with the UP and am thinking of heading there wednesday and maybe thursday and would be happy to do an informal trip with people, (being back in time for dinner at the legs inn on wed.) I'll be working with a couple of cirkuts, maybe a alvista if I can get some film cut and spooled, my roundshots,and a 5x7 home portrait graflex. Anybody who wants to know more about cirkuts can let me know and maybe we can do some shooting together, and I'll go over the process.
    Jamie Young
    Jamie: I am going up to Grand Marais on the east end of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Sunday night/Monday morning, and staying up there until Wednesday when I plan to head down to Bill's On the way back I want to explore around Seney NWR a bit. If you're in the area give me a call at 616-836-6570 and maybe we can meet up somewhere. Although cell phone service is pretty spotty in the UP. John Powers and Cody Gross were thinking about being in that area as well.
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto View Post
    I am going up to Grand Marais on the east end of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Sunday night/Monday morning...
    Dan, Be sure to go west into the park. Sable Falls is nearby as well as the Log Slide. Futher west Twelve Mile Beach and Hurricane River campgrounds offer good access to shoreline. If you're in a hiking mood, go even further west and take the trail in to Mosquito River Beach, or better yet... do the trail that takes you into Chapel Beach, then follow the shoreline on top of the cliffs around Grand Portage Point. Then west to Mosquito and back out. I've done it in a good, full day trip and it is not too bad... 7-10 miles.

Awesome.

Have a great time and watch your step up on those cliffs!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I'll have the APUG Traveling Camera #5. I get just one shot with it. Hopefully, we'll have a group shot session. I almost feel like Jim Brandenburg doing his one-shot-per-day project, only, this is a one-shot-in-5-days project. My first vacation in 2 years. I don't need this kind of pressure. :-)

Marc

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jamie: maybe we can meet up somewhere. Although cell phone service is pretty spotty in the UP. John Powers and Cody Gross were thinking about being in that area as well.
    Dan
    Update, unfortunately Cody's employer thought he would be more useful in Dallas the whole week.

I am game for Wed and/or Thurs, but as mentioned in the PM I am limited by age and 7x17 camera weight to 50 yards from the car or 2 miles using the baby jogger on hard trails. Sand and stairs are a show stopper. I gather there is a lot of both out there.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm hoping to do two days in the UP, and can do one with car shooting, and another with some hiking. Seney NWR has some good car spots and a road near Tahquamenon Falls also has some views I would like to check out. The falls has some potential as well

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie young View Post
    I'm hoping to do two days in the UP, and can do one with car shooting, and another with some hiking. Seney NWR has some good car spots and a road near Tahquamenon Falls also has some views I would like to check out. The falls has some potential as well

That is good. I'll just do the car shooting day. Wed or Thurs is fine. I can go back to O'Neal Lake the other day, see what has changed from last year and possibly take any new folks who want to check it out.

http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/miners.shtml Miner's Falls looked interesting. Not only does it look great in this picture but there is a hard surface, 6/10th of a mile, trail to this view. The page has links to other falls in the area. The problem is that if you go to that spot your picture looks like every one else's shot of Miner's Falls.

Anyone who is going to be there Wed or Thursday and not going to Mackinaw Island chime in if you are interested.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by North Light Press View Post
    Dan, Be sure to go west into the park. Sable Falls is nearby as well as the Log Slide. Futher west Twelve Mile Beach and Hurricane River campgrounds offer good access to shoreline. If you're in a hiking mood, go even further west and take the trail in to Mosquito River Beach, or better yet... do the trail that takes you into Chapel Beach, then follow the shoreline on top of the cliffs around Grand Portage Point. Then west to Mosquito and back out. I've done it in a good, full day trip and it is not too bad... 7-10 miles.

Awesome.

Have a great time and watch your step up on those cliffs!
    Bill: my main interest up there are the shipwreck bones, the stranded pier, and I just learned about Kingston Plains, which I certainly intend to check out. Thanks for the heads up on the other places, I'll look at some of them as well. See you Wednesday afternoon.
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm looking to trek up to the UP at least 1 day. It's a tough choice because the activities sound fantastic. I'm sure I can coordinate with people once we all get there. I have a jeep cherokee which will carry 5 people and plenty of equipment, or I can ride and chip in gas money. I'm definitely in for Mackinac Island on Thurs so Thurs I can't really get my UP on, Fri or Sat I'm game.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Miner's Falls looked interesting. Not only does it look great in this picture but there is a hard surface, 6/10th of a mile, trail to this view.
    Hi John, Miner's are a great falls, but be warned they are in a tight spot and don't get the best light much of the day. You can see this in the photo at the link you posted. Not that they aren't worth it, but that view you see is about the only one you'll get. There are a lot of falls in the area though. Munising Falls are very nice as well, but there is now a boardwalk that goes around the back that is hard to get out of your shot. For those of you going to Munising, consider the Pictured Rocks Boat Tour. Spectacular.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bill: my main interest up there are the shipwreck bones, the stranded pier, and I just learned about Kingston Plains, which I certainly intend to check out. Thanks for the heads up on the other places, I'll look at some of them as well. See you Wednesday afternoon.
    Dan
    Dan,

One of my favorite UP haunts is the Kingston Plains. It's kinda spooky with all sorts of tree stumps in circles and crunchy lichen all over the place. If you head through it north, there is (was) a nice white birch forest up around 12 Mile Beach IIRC.

I'd like to check out the area that was subjected to the large fire west of Tahquamenon Falls last year.

I've never really travelled in the far eastern UP east of I-75. Anything worthwhile to see there?

I'm starting to pack the Magic Bus and will be heading north sometime Saturday. I may stay in Wilderness Park Saturday night so if you see the RV parked there (Michigan license plate "TINTYPE"), pop in and say hey.

Joe

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin