Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,782   Online: 895

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photostock 2009

I want to thank everyone for the great time I had at Photostock 2009. What a pleasure to see old friends and to make new ones. The portfolio sharing afternoon was awesome, as usual, and an inspiration to continue working through to next year's Photostock. Shelby's prints and presentation were excellent and his compassion for humanity was clearly evident, regardless of any controversy around his work.

Bill's efforts to pull this together despite his gimpy back were truly heroic- he deserves a standing ovation and plenty of time off to recover.

Thank you all again and see you next year,
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    I've already got Photostock 2010 on my calendar...
    Thanks to all of you that have written with positive reviews of the event! I'm so happy everyone had a good time considering I've been feeling as if I dropped the ball there near the end when the pain got the better of me. It just goes to show you that it is the people that make the event. All I do is create the space and a framework, it is all of you who have made it what it has become and Kerik summed up the reasons quite well.

I was finally able to fold myself into the car last night for the drive back to Detroit and had a lot of time to go over the week in my mind. As the miles ticked away, I realized more and more what a fine time I had! It is such a great way to recharge and gain inspiration. As others have already said, the quality and level of work was stunning. So many fine shooters in one place. And considering the high level of talent in one room, it is so refreshing to see that egos seem to be automatically checked at the door.

I've also identified several areas where things could be made better, one of which is no surprise.. the fact I can no longer continue this as a one man show. I am very thankful for all the offers that have been coming in to help with future Photostocks and I will take you up on them where I can. However, there are certain aspects that I simply cannot ask others to do without some sort of remuneration. For this reason, I have begun to put together a team that will be integral in putting this together in the future. I've now been getting all kinds of outside interest in the event and I don't want to blow it by continuing to try to go it alone.

I am putting together a committee of sorts to handle various aspects of the event and although I am courting a few people that will remain unnamed at this time, Kerik Kouklis has been kind enough (read crazy enough) to take on the workshop aspect of Photostock 2010. The four shops we ran this year were very popular and very successful and we feel it would be a good idea to expand and refine them for next year. It is a big task putting them all together and I am confident that with his past experience leading workshops far and wide, he is the right person for the job. Kerik will be in charge of logistics, hiring instructors, assistants, etc. We are also talking with the owner of the Birchwood who has expressed interest in creating facilities onsite where we can hold more of the workshops. More on this as it "develops". I've also had interest from some willing to do portfolio reviews and career consultation, so we are exploring this aspect as well.

In the weeks to come, look for a new thread in my sponsor forum concerning 2010 where we will be asking for suggestions of instructors, presenters and other aspects you'd like to see for future gatherings.

For now, mark your calendars for June 18 - 27, 2010 and we'll do it all again!

Thanks again everyone!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Bill.
    No, you shouldn't do it all, but we couldn't do it without you. My hat is off to you.
    2010 is marked on my calendar. (and counting down on my website... )

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Bill! Thanks for an amazing time. If I continue throwing my accolades for what you accomplished it'll start sound way too weird. I think you accomplished your usual magic. Last time you showed me a new way of seeing, this time you brought a bunch of people together who made a lot of us happy and ambitious to start and explore new things. I am in all the way fro 2010. I also meant it when I said I wanted to help organize the next event. Kerik, thanks for your involvement. Mr. Smiegel, what an inspiration. Truly a generous soul with your time and observations. How's the back? Mine is a bit better, lots of meds, finally able to move freely after ten days of utter yuckiness. Also, thanks to all the wonderful participants. People who I hope will be friends. Cynthia(s), Judy, Jeff and Eva, Joe, Kerik and Ike, Rick, Bob, Ted and others who just made me (and I think all of us) like people on a mission together. You have put a great thing together.

Gim

I have not come down from the high yet and have marked my calendar for next year. Would not want to miss it...a great week with interesting and wonderful people. Thanks Bill

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Bill for one of the most memorable, enjoyable get-togethers I have ever been a part of. I commend you for your efforts by pulling this together. It was a pleasure to meet you as well as meet the faces behind the photos I have seen posted on APUG over time……plus to actually go and shoot with some of these folks was priceless. The amount of talent at the event was incredible!
    I am definitely looking forward to next year.
    Thanks to all of you!
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll join in on the positive feedback. I really enjoyed myself, and got a lot of inspiration from looking at the work everybody else brought with them. In addition to this, and probably even more important was (is) the enthusiasm everybody showed for their craft. This gives a lot of positive energy that I hope that I can maintain and keep going on once I get back to Norway.

Best regards

Birger A.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Coleen, Camille and I stayed in the Cross Village area an extra couple of days and finally arrived home late Monday. Although I was only around for Thurs., Fri., & Saturday, it was a blast. Getting together annually with fellow APUG'rs at Bill's shindig is now a top photographic priority for me. Meeting new people like Garin, Kerik, Birger, Steve and others was awesome. Bill, I hope your back is getting better and that you never have to suffer through that ever again.

Having Shelby Lee Adams was just tremendous. He's a really great guy and I love his Appalachian project and style of photography. Adams' presentation in Petosky was most excellent.

I'm on my way to the lab to pick up my film and will upload a few Photostock documentary pics as soon I'm done scanning them (probably late tonight or tomorrow morning). Please feel free to post names to the nameless. I'm terrible with names. I'll post photos on this site under 'Gallery - Workshops & Get Togethers'. I'll also upload to the Photostock '09 Group on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/photostock/ .

My calendar is blocked out for Photostock 2010, June 18 through the 27th. And this time I'm going to take in a couple of workshops.

Great job, Bill! See you at Blissfest.

Marc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just thought I'd let you guys know.... I have found 2 places in the Richmond area where I can get me some Oberon! One bar, one store (which also sells the mini kegs). I'm happy!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Nunn View Post
    Just thought I'd let you guys know.... I have found 2 places in the Richmond area where I can get me some Oberon! One bar, one store (which also sells the mini kegs). I'm happy!
    Nice! It is the best beer ever made.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin