Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,358   Online: 728

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Great news. What motel do you like? We will send Chandler there.

John
    You know, I can't remember where we booked ....
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You may enjoy an excellent review of the Edward Weston show in the Akron Beacon Journal today. http://www.ohio.com/entertainment/39630137.html

I was high in my earlier price statement on the show catalog. They got a special volume discount. “There is a rather gorgeous catalog available, which is also rather expensive, but not as expensive as it would be elsewhere. Edward Weston: Life Work is $149.95 at the museum store. Online at Amazon.com, it's $195, and its regular list price is $198.” That still is a lot of money right now.

Peter Spangenberg asked me yesterday if the prints were vintage. “Most of the images seen here are from Weston's family, for whom he reserved his best prints. And all are vintage photographs, meaning they were printed by the artist shortly after he shot the image, which is important, because they represent Weston's original vision.”

Dolly and I saw the exhibit again yesterday. The more I see, the more I want to see. We will be back. Hope you join us.

John & Dolly Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Forms of Passion" is one of the best books of Weston's work, duotone prints, large, and sold new for $40! You can still find it reasonably priced on the used market, but some sellers are asking loony-tunes prices.

I'm not too sure about the worth of "vintage ... printed shortly after taking the picture." The Cleveland Museum's A. Adams show (early 90's?) had series of prints made over the years from the same negative and it was interesting to see how his vision of the image changed over time. The worst prints were usually the early ones, then came the peak of interpretation, the last tended to be overwrought and lacking in any visual excitement. The Adams show that came through a few years ago, all drawn from a private collection, was loaded with these late and lifeless prints.

I would be interested to see the same of Weston: first prints, peak prints, the denouement and finally Bret's interpretations.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 02-15-2009 at 07:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Dayton show, 3-4 years ago, had a good and inexpensive paper back show book, "Edward Weston, A Photographer's Love of Life". The curator recommeneded that in addition to the show book I locate a copy of "Forms of Passion". eBay provided and I agree with Nicholas that it is one of the best Weston books.

Now if I could just be the proud owner of the collection Nicholas describes I would happily stage the exhibit.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I booked a room at the Hampton Inn Richfield (it's on Brecksville Rd). I'm planning on driving over Sat morning (promise I'll get up and going early) and meeting up with you all at the restaurant John mentioned (still need directions or could meet partway there).
    I can't wait!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bo Loong Chinese Restaurant
    3922 Saint Clair Ave NE
    Cleveland, OH 44114
    (216) 391-3113
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...1&z=14&iwloc=A

A Google maps street view of the front of the restaurant, on the south side of the street. The Marathon gas station at the corner of St. Clair and East 40th is on the left of this view.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...93442622951088

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 02-26-2009 at 10:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: better map

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Bethe, Happy to read you are coming. If you can get to our house by 10 AM, Saturday, you are welcome to ride in with Dolly and me. Park in the driveway rather than down in the camping area. We would probably have to float your car out from the camping area with the inflatable rubber dingy. Let us know if we should expect you.

Shawn, did we ever figure out why you went to a different restaurant last visit? You said it was good, but we would like to enjoy your company at Bo Loong. Your friend Gene Paulson is welcome if he can join us.

Lee, thanks for the directions and address. Please know that Barbara and the boys are welcome to join us.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,
    I'm going to be out west from March 6th through the 11th which means I'll be in full on film processing mode by then... I'll mostly likely just either show up for 9 o'clock coffee Sunday or meet up with everyone at the exhibit. Gene will probably be with me either way. I'm itching to get back to the Ritchie ledges though... Surely for good weather later on in the spring. Hope everyone is well! Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee and John, thank you both! John, if I can get out of here early enough, I'll take you up on the ride offer - can I call you that morning en-route to let you know if I'll be on time? If I don't get moving fast enough, that map is already saved to my phone, Lee.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    John,
    I'm going to be out west from March 6th through the 11th which means I'll be in full on film processing mode by then... I'll mostly likely just either show up for 9 o'clock coffee Sunday or meet up with everyone at the exhibit. Gene will probably be with me either way. I'm itching to get back to the Ritchie ledges though... Surely for good weather later on in the spring. Hope everyone is well! Shawn
    Happy to have you both when ever you show. Call home if you need directions. PM here if you need the phone number. Bring stories and/or prints from your adventure west.

John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin