Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,817   Online: 1133

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

NE Ohio bi-monthly gathering

Hey, it has been quiet at the Powers’ house for a few weeks. The Labradors miss the people assigned to throw sticks and apples for them. Dolly has much of her health back and we want to have some friends, new and old, over to visit and see some great photography that you bring and we see at the museums. Read on, we propose another gathering.

In another thread Robert Puckett pointed out that "Edward Weston: Life Work", was opening at the Akron Art Museum. A couple of PA’s finest Apugers said they wanted to see that exhibit. But wait, as they say in the late night ads, there is more. There are going to be two overlapping Lee Friedlander exhibits at the Cleveland and Akron Art Museums while the Edward Weston exhibit continues. The Friedlander exhibits will have interesting lectures March 21, April 5, April 18.

Schedule and text from the exhibt sites:

January 31, 2009 - April 26, 2009 "Edward Weston: Life Work", Akron Art Museum, "Edward Weston: Life Work", surveys the five-decade career of this American master through an outstanding grouping of 115 vintage photographs. The exhibition is drawn entirely from the private collection of Michael Mattis and Judith Hochberg. Most of the works were acquired from members of the Weston family. These include a large collection from his daughter-in-law, Dody Weston Thompson, as well as a Weston family album incorporating rare early self-portraits and landscapes.

February 28, – May 31, 2009 "Lee Friedlander’s Factory Valleys." Akron Art Museum
    Lee Friedlander's Factory Valleys series, conceived 30 years ago, has come to be recognized as a milestone both in the artist's career and in the history of documentary photography. The Akron Art Museum, which commissioned the work, revists the project by exhibiting around 60 vintage photographs, all from the museum's collection. This exhibition coincides with a major Friedlander retrospective at The Cleveland Museum of Art, on view March 1 - May 31, 2009.

March 1, – May 31, 2009 "Friedlander", Cleveland Museum of Art The iconic and witty American photographer Lee Friedlander is celebrated in this expansive retrospective of nearly 400 images.

March 21, Saturday, 2:30 PM lecture Friedlander at Cleveland Museum of Art by Tom Hinson. Tom has been photo curator at CMA since 1973, knows everyone in the industry and gives a great knowlegible lecture.
    April 5, Sunday, 2:30 Friedlander lecture CMA Peter Galasi of MOMA NY
    April 18, Saturday 2:30 PM, Valley Views at Akron Art Museum Barbara Tannenbaum, chief curator
    April 26, 2009, "Edward Weston: Life Work", Akron Art Museum, exhibit closes.

We propose another weekend gathering focused on these three exhibits, photo conversation, show and tell your own work, good food and good company, one of the weekends between March 1 and April 26 when the Weston exhibit ends. If the snow clears some could camp here, though I must warn that we have had snow as late as the first week in April. We could gather here Saturday morning, do one museum Saturday and the other Sunday. Dinner, show and tell and conversation Saturday night. Do you like the idea? Do you have a weekend that you prefer or can’t make? Lets work out the details and enjoy each other again.

For those of you who haven't been here, we are located about five miles south of the intersection of the Ohio Turnpike and Interstate Rt. 77. There are motels north and south of us which I can list. If we have enough people coming we can rent a portapotty as we did when twenty were here last September. You all come!

John & Dolly Powers, supervised by Savannah and Cindy the yellow lady Labradors.
    Last edited by jp80874; 01-31-2009 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent idea and a wonderful offer John. I had been thinking of posting to the other thread about meeting up ad hoc with other folks as they scheduled their individual trips, but this is a much better idea, and gives us an opportunity to catch up with each other in a less hurried fashion outside the museum or a restaurant.

I have no particular preference for a given weekend, but will do my best to make any time people settle on.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Lee. Remembering the September gathering where it took us 2.5 hours to decide what we would do for the first dinner, I will arbitrarily pick a weekend if there is confusion or no suggestions.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, get those cat-herding skills polished! The only weekend I know that's bad for me is March 7. If any others are bad, I don't know about it, yet. I'm definitely up for this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same for me Bethe. I'll be out west from March 6th through the 11th. Otherwise looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I miss you all too. My two days off are Saturdays & Tuesdays. But I'll keep watching this thread to see what's happening.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wish I could make it out, but this former resident of 43920 will have to pass up. But next time I can get away for an overnighter for the Hot Dog Shoppe, I might look you up, John.

Long live Jim Tressel.
    GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a good idea. Count me in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,

We are in

Bob & Ann

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    John,

Eva & I would love to come down. We aren't available the weekends of March 7th or March 14th though. (aren't we always trouble?)
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin