Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,509   Posts: 1,543,564   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Adray Photo to Close

Sad news for anybody who lives in the Detroit area. Adray Photo, in Dearborn and one of the last full-time photo shops in SE Michigan, has decided to close it's doors. The Detroit area's battered economy was just too much for the Adray family to deal with. I bought my first "good" camera from them back in 1971 (a Canon FTb) and picked up a new Leica MP only a few years back. They were one of the few camera shops in the Detroit area, maybe the only one, that still sold an entire array of film and darkroom products. They will be missed.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sad to here. I was just in there yesterday. I started buying my gear in the mid 70's.
    I'll have to stop in tomorrow.

Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no mention of impending closure on their website - when are they closing? Is it just the photo dept or the entire appliance store?

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    There is no mention of impending closure on their website - when are they closing? Is it just the photo dept or the entire appliance store?
    I get their email newsletter and got one today announcing the closure. Here's a quote from the newsletter, " After 54 years of operating a retail business in the Detroit area, due to the state of our economy, the Adray Family has decided to retire and close its store in Dearborn. This is your chance today and tomorrow to get the best selection before our advertisement comes out in the Detroit News and Free Press on Friday, February 20, 2009. Get here quick for the best selection."

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got back and there are a lot of people there picking the bones. This is very sad. I used to work that camera counter... gulp... 30 years ago and there are still people from those days working there. A lot of them have been friends for years. They are walking around looking a little stunned. Truly the end of an era. A very, very sad time. It seems the world is collapsing around us here in the Motor!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Again, another fine analog store bites the dust.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is truly sad to see Adray go. They are a great store with many loyal customers. I think it's fair to lay the blame for their demise not only on the current economic state in Michigan, but on internet retailers like Amazon and B&H. Some people say that independent camera stores are dinosaurs that didn't change with the times. I disagree. I think we'll all be sorry when the big boxes and internet are all that's left. Retail salespeople at places like Adray often have passion for what they do. They love photography, and are valuable sources of information and insight to guide us through our purchasing decisions. I'm afraid the people working at the Amazon warehouse just can't offer that level of service. : (

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe some good news. It looks like Adray's web-based store will remain and there's a chance they could relocate to a smaller retail store. I plan on stopping by the store tomorrow and to talk to one of the sales people.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...902200395/1001

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    ...there's a chance they could relocate to a smaller retail store...
    Unfortunately I've been told it is a very slim chance.

Jim... PM me and let me know when you're here. I am only about 1/4 mile from the store.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Adray update

I too got the notice of their closing, but have continued to get emails. I visited the website and nothing looks that different.. they are selling new equip., accessories, (even consignment on ebay) plus all the usual services that they did before. Does anyone know more of the story? Did someone buy out the family and keep the goodwill of the name or ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin