Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,732   Online: 876

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, yeah... I say the missing Fisher owes us a full report at the next gathering on the activities that kept her away from from our gathering. Perhaps that could be one of the 'workshop' style activities that John asked about. It's dangerous to miss a gathering, you might get elected to something.
    Oh no, what did I "volunteer" for this time? Next time I see you guys, I'll bring the lenses I made this weekend. It was a blast. I may post the shots when I get around to scanning them. Can I flip something from neg to pos and left to right in PS and still post it in the gallery? We shot on paper for the slowness (using lens caps as shutters).
    Sorry I missed your outing, but I will be at Photostock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, I can't thank you and Dolly enough for the continued hospitality.

It was great so see everyone again and missed seeing a few others. I had a great time photographing at the ledges this morning, hopefully everyone found the early hours to be worth while. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the work next time around and maybe here in the meantime.

Couldn't resist developing some film tonight, hope to have some prints done this week. Shawn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails negs.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great to see everyone and thanks to John and Dolly for the hospitality! I'm not as quick as Shawn, but I do hope to develop our film this week.

Found my local camera store has Farmer's reducer too, so thanks to Peter's article I think we should be able to bleach back that print. Now, if I can just find mat board then we will be in business!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Gotta say "Thanks"...

Even though I couldn't get there due to physical limitations.

It really isn't often that folks as hospitable as the Powers offer their home and nearby venues for community use. My hat's off to them for their selfless contributions. We KNOW what they do to promote film usage!

Jo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Oh no, what did I "volunteer" for this time? Next time I see you guys, I'll bring the lenses I made this weekend.
    I hadn't checked the schedule. Didn't know you were working with Alan Greene. I have his book, which is very interesting. So your assignment is to cram everything you learned in two days into a session at the next NEOH gathering.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was really glad to see everyone again! Sorry for my abrupt departure on Saturday, but I had been informed in no uncertain terms that eight hours is plenty long enough to take a picture and the kids wanted to go to the park.
    I got my film holders loaded and went out Sunday. When I got to Johns, it looks like everyone had left for home, so I'll have to say 'good bye' to everyone right now.

Jeff: I am sorry I did not get a chance to pick up that densitometer to check it. I have plenty of test control strips that I usually throw away after I measure them. I can send one to you with all the values marked, based on my calibrated machine. That should be good enough to check you machine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll throw out an idea for a typical "format" for future meetings:

SAT 9:00 AM: Informal 'check-in' and head count for the weekend. Courtesy call to John if you can't make this so he knows who all to expect. Meet on John's back porch for coffee and chat, equipment show-and-tell or swap&sell.
    SAT 10:30-12:30 Free time to shoot. Groups or individually.
    SAT 12:30-1:30 (Optional) Lunch at Fishers
    SAT 1:30-5:00 Free time to shoot.
    SAT 5:00-9:00PM Meet at Johns for Pizza-Icecream then print portfolio presentations and discussion.

SUN: 9:00-11:00AM Meet at John's back porch for AM coffee and discussion. Then a 'mini-workshop' where someone can sign up to present some technique to the group (split tone, lith print, f-stop printing, banquet camera technique, ice cream making, etc.)
    SUN: 11:00-1:30 Free time to shoot
    SUN: 1:30 (optional) Lunch at Fishers, then farewells for some or more shooting the farewell.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lee (and his cat) volunteered to be "Central Organizer and Enforcer" for all this. He could stay in contact with people with a cell phone to monitor their location on a minute-by-minute basis. He would also be held responsible if the train were to become 'disconnected.' ( )
    Last edited by ic-racer; 06-01-2009 at 05:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    I hadn't checked the schedule. Didn't know you were working with Alan Greene. I have his book, which is very interesting. So your assignment is to cram everything you learned in two days into a session at the next NEOH gathering.

Lee
    I'd love to see that book sometime. I may just buy it, though. Does he also get into camera making in the book?
    Anyway, the class was great and relatively non-technical. I'm actually going to go do some more test shooting with one of my new lenses in a few minutes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Thanks John and Dolly

Thanks for the hospitality. I could only make Saturday up to the darkroom tour at Dale's, but I enjoyed seeing everybody. By the way, if anyone wants a copy of the bleaching article I sent to Jeff, please send me your e-mail address and I will be happy to send it as I have 4 scanned pages in jpeg format. The article was written for a B&W master printing publication by Bruce Barnbaum and talks about the technique for using bleach on shadow areas that need to be lightened selectively. I had never tried this before I read this article, and now I'm a fan.

My e-mail address is Suarte85@roadrunner.com

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'll throw out an idea for a typical "format" for future meetings:
    In the spirit of realism, no sarcasm intended, I'll post this above our cat's food bowl for a trial run next weekend and see if it works.

Joking aside, I think it's very hard to keep that many people 'on task' given the vagaries of travel, good light, varied appetites, diets, and budgets, breaks for off-roading adventures, differing shooting locations, etc. It would be nice to have a central point of contact, but many of us don't have cell phones, or don't carry them on weekends, and I wouldn't impose the role of "central organizer and enforcer" on anyone. Hosting the cat herd is challenge enough. Keeping a disconnected train on time is an impossible task. I think the best we can hope for is a relaxed atmosphere and flexibility where everyone can get as close to their goals for the weekend as possible, and not be disappointed if it doesn't work out exactly as planned. I guess those who have cell phones might stay in closer touch that way, and we might make a list of those available at the start of the weekend.

There is a sort of general pattern already, and the schedule was rearranged for Sunday by consensus on Saturday evening, which worked well except for absent hotel management. I would like to have shot more, but I'm rather close by, and the point of the exercize for me is mostly good company, exchange of ideas, and seeing the work, so I'll opt for those things at the expense of more negatives on these get-togethers.

I'm certain that anyone with an interesting presentation could schedule that themselves and people could decide whether or not to do that. Nicholas accommodated a number of different schedules to show his meter and timer combo at the first meeting.

That said, I can understand your disappointment. I have missed Photostock two years running because of family obligations, and will again this year. We muddle through.

Lee

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin