Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 703

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I'd love to see that book sometime. I may just buy it, though. Does he also get into camera making in the book?
    Anyway, the class was great and relatively non-technical. I'm actually going to go do some more test shooting with one of my new lenses in a few minutes.
    Yes, he does cover sliding box and folding cameras as well as film holders. Those are in the beginning chapters. I'll bring the book to the next get-together. Remind me though. The book has good detail on both his camera building and lens construction techniques.

That might be a good thing for one of the meetings, especially if it looks potentially rainy: bring your favorite photo techniques books.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll add my profound thanks to John and Dolly for another really wonderful weekend.

I'm with Lee in that I come for the company and conversation.

As to scheduling the activities of a large number of cats ...

Living in the area I have a 'been there, done that' attitude and now only go out to photograph the local sites when the light or weather are exceptional. I almost always shoot the one hour after dawn and the hour before and after sunset - the last light of twilight can be interesting (and a bit of a crap shoot). Only if the clouds or light are stunning do I venture out into the noon-day sun, despite being both an Englishman and the owner of a (slightly) mad dog.

I think if formal shooting hours / field-trips are established they might best be, in the summer, sunrise to 9:00am and again from 7:00pm to sunset. In the present scheme I haven't noticed any great shooting activity in the late morning or in the afternoon except for the occasional camera-in-hand quiet desultory ramble around John's lake (que music for quiet desultory rambling).

I normally have to leave in the evening so a picture show-and-tell in the afternoon would work for me, and often enough an informal picture show does take place in the afternoon hours.

I would reserve the late evening hours for campfire chats.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 06-01-2009 at 08:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I am so glad to hear that all of you had a good time. Thank you for coming and taking such good care of our home. It was a blast for me and a continuation of the fun - camaraderie I have wanted to have with other photographers since I retired. Dolly is focused on six more days until school is out for the summer.

I did a post party environmental impact study. Dolly said it gave her so much pleasure to see us enjoying ourselves so much. Dolly’s mother and next door neighbor, stopped by to say how much fun we must have been having and to thank us for not passing out in her driveway. Another neighbor walked over and said the next time we had a party with overflow cars we should not try to park in the Jeep high ditch, but rather send the excess over to his driveway. Dale stopped over yesterday afternoon after you all had left and we saw the regular tenant had already moved back. There was a doe watching and a spotted fawn cavorting on the other side of the pond across from the house. The baby was so cute.

We all talked about the problem of the CVNP being full of people who might have the bad manners to disturb our photography. However when I showed up at about eight AM the only cars in the parking lot were from our sun rise group. That is with the exception of the one other car, a young man who was driven in by a cute young blond who I jealously suspect kept him for the evening. He was most surprised when the arresting officer told him how many hours the rangers spent looking for the driver of that car, thinking he might have fallen off a cliff and be lying dead at the bottom.

I would say that we have a consensus of good reports. That can only mean we should start planning the next event. Jeff has to work every weekend in August. That means we get to enjoy Eva more. Would July 25-26 be too soon after Photostock for those who are going? Should we try July 25-26 or wait until September?

We talked a little about what we might do the next event. The park will be there for sunrise and sunset shooting. Down town Cleveland has a wealth of bridges across the Cuyahoga, but we should do that as a group for self protection. Dorothy talked about showing how she tones and lith prints. We could do that outside to have enough space and ventilation. Dale showed us his Durst 1184 enlarger, but it really might be interesting to walk through the steps of using a nine foot high 8x10 enlarger with a podium control station. A lot of you shoot 4x5 and a few 8x10. Would it interest you to actually set up an 8x10 and 7x17 for dummy shots in the yard just to understand what is involved? Bethe has volunteered to show and tell what she learned at the pinhole convention. The William Wegman: Fay and a Helen Levitt exhibits will be on at the Akron Art Museum. We always do show and tell. Please post any ideas you have on dates and things we might do. We can start a new thread once we pin down a date.

Thanks again for coming.

John

Shooter
    Large Format

Mist another one.

One of these times I may get to come to another one of these get togethers. I came for the first one but have not had the time or money for any others. I realy enjoyed the just setting and talking. Most people I hang around with have little or no knowledge or interest in Photograhpy. So it is a welcome treat. I can't add much to the show and tell but as Chauncy Gardner would say "I like to watch". Now how many of you got that reference?
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBone 75 View Post
    I can't add much to the show and tell but as Chauncy Gardner would say "I like to watch". Now how many of you got that reference?
    We weren't doing that, no TV nor what Shirley presumed.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Give that man a cigar
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You better watch it Les. Some of our best spectators get the bug and turn into players. I wondered if we would ever get you back. The welcome mat is out. You all come.

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dale - No problem. That should work fine with the densitometer.

John - July 25-26 works great for us. When we settle on a date I'll try to recruit a few from my area to come down.

Thanks again - can't wait until the next trip!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the idea of shooting during prime light (early morning & evening) and using the 9-5 hours for chatting, show & tell, demos, and ice cream. And maybe next time I'll stay out of the ditch! That really took a lot of time away from the day, for which I profusely apologize.

I developed my pictures this afternoon, so hopefully tonight I can get them scanned.

I'm looking forward to the next event. Just say when.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    We talked a little about what we might do the next event. Dorothy talked about showing how she tones and lith prints. We could do that outside to have enough space and ventilation.
    John
    The only problem is you need plenty of running water and somewhere to dump the contaminated water. I'll have to think about that one.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin