Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,516   Online: 1078

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the update, John.

I've secured the weekend off so my plans are:

Saturday - arrive for sunrise at the Ritchie Ledges. Finish up in time for 9 o'clock coffee at the Power's place. Would love to photograph with whomever the rest of or part of that day.

Sunday - sunrise at the big waterfall (Brandywine?). I'm thinking even light and less people that early... Again back to John's for 9 o'clock coffee and whatever the rest of the day.

Since it's a one night thing I'll just get a hotel room Saturday night so don't plan on me for camping. Thanks again to both you and Dolly! Looking foward to it. Shawn

Oh yeah, do you have somewhere I can load/unload film holders? Just bringing the 4x5 this time so I won't need much room.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Saturday - arrive for sunrise at the Ritchie Ledges.
    About what time are you planning to be at the parking lot?

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was at the Ritchie Ledges the other day (for the first time) to check it out. AM light on the side toward the cave would be interesting to capture, maybe I'll see you guys there Sat AM.

I am still waiting for a big order of film. I went with Aristo brand sheet film and 120 for the first time as I could get twice as much as the Kodak or Ilford stuff. I ran out of 8x10 film last fall, so I am looking forward to seeing the big brown truck!

I have also been Lith printing LF negatives on a bunch of RC Forte paper (as the FB Forte is all gone). I'm curious as to what you all think of them.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 05-26-2009 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    About what time are you planning to be at the parking lot?

Lee
    Haven't figured that out yet. I'll get back here in the next day or two, Lee. Shawn

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Oh yeah, do you have somewhere I can load/unload film holders? Just bringing the 4x5 this time so I won't need much room.
    My dark room?

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    My dark room?

John
    Thanks, John. I guess I haven't seen your darkroom yet. Stands to reason you must be producing those 7x17 inch negs and prints somewhere! =)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sunday - sunrise at the big waterfall (Brandywine?). I'm thinking even light and less people that early... .
    Shawn,

Not to second guess you, but to better understand. I have not shot at sunrise, so I may be missing your objective.

The biggest waterfall Brandywine pours to the west from the east. There are three vantage points that are easily accessible especially in the dark. One is on the southern edge of the fall which would probably put the sun SE behind your right shoulder. You would have a guard rail for protection, but would be 7-10 feet from the start of the fall. The sixty foot water drop would be dark. The actual start of the fall would be illuminated. Second is a platform downstream but near the bottom of the falls. Here you would be looking up at the falls, probably through mist, maybe 20-30 degrees off directly into the sun. Third is an unprotected cliff edge just downstream from the falls on the north side, no barrier, no safety net. Here you would be looking directly into the sun while the lower part of the falls would be dark. What do you see as the shot?

Blue Hen and Buttermilk flow from the west to the east. Blue Hen is 1/4 mile down a steep paved track from the parking lot that should not be too much trouble in the dark. Buttermilk is a mile beyond there on a trail that is covered with roots as it follows the cliff edge. You also have to ford the stream picking out your footing in the dark. As your friend and host I would strongly encourage you not to do that for the first time in the dark.

Blue Hen is heavily wooded so you are likely to get diffused light falling right on the fall. If it is humid, and how many waterfalls are not, you also get great beams of light through the woods reflecting on the humidity or mist. I have seen this at 9 AM in the Fall. I am assuming it is that way at sunrise in the Spring. The most likely shot is at the top of the falls with the sun over your left shoulder. You can also climb down to the bottom and shoot up with the sun at your back. I would take a 50 foot rope and use it to steady your footing going down in the dark or more safely, make that your second shot after there is light. It also makes the trip back up easier.

John
    Last edited by jp80874; 05-26-2009 at 03:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This time of year, the sun rises about 30 degrees north of due east. It won't get to due east until just after 9am, when it will be over 30 degrees above a flat horizon.

Here's a map of Brandywine Falls, with standard north-is-straight-up orientation. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...06539&t=h&z=18

This aerial/satellite photo would have been taken about 2 hours before the sun was due south.

Astronomically,
    Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 05-26-2009 at 04:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a headlamp just for the occassion! Haven't tried it yet, though. And a lazer beam to focus in the dark. :0

Just out of curiosity, will there be a porta-potty for those of us who are afraid of bears in the woods?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Honest officer. About sunrise I saw several of them over by the cliffs. They had five legs, and the back two were thicker and were the only ones that moved. They were about 5 feet tall, had rounded backs and one eye, and seemed to be wearing capes. They kept shining lights around, shooting lasers at the rocks, and eating pieces of something that looked like pieces of black toast from bags.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin