Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,221   Online: 896

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Lee.

That is great. Let me try to locate the three positions on this map.

Find the furthest east “Brandywine falls upper walkway”. The first position I mentioned would be at the “way” in "walkway". The falls would be 7-10 feet directly north.

The second position at “way” in the eastern “Brandywine Falls lower walkway.”

The third position is along the north side of the cliff edge. I am having trouble remembering exactly where, but I think it would be about NE from the second position and of course up 60 feet. It is completely unprotected. I would not go there without a long line around me and the camera tied to a tree or solid anchor to the north. What looks like footing could drop today or next year.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    Just out of curiosity, will there be a porta-potty for those of us who are afraid of bears in the woods?
    Dorothy,

I think you are the only one camping unless I misunderstood. At $110 for the porta potty it would be $70 cheaper to visit the flea bag for showers and john, or just stay there. I have several size plastic buckets to loan at no charge. They must be returned as clean as delivered. No brown tracks on the white or orange.

During daylight you are welcome to our bathroom, but I don't think we want you to try to walk by the yellow gauntlets at night. They hold their privacy in high and noisy regard.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Honest officer. About sunrise I saw several of them over by the cliffs. They had five legs, and the back two were thicker and were the only ones that moved. They were about 5 feet tall, had rounded backs and one eye, and seemed to be wearing capes. They kept shining lights around, shooting lasers at the rocks, and eating pieces of something that looked like pieces of black toast from bags.
    ok, son, I'm sure you did. And how was the toast?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Dorothy,

I think you are the only one camping unless I misunderstood. At $110 for the porta potty it would be $70 cheaper to visit the flea bag for showers and john, or just stay there. I have several size plastic buckets to loan at no charge. They must be returned as clean as delivered. No brown tracks on the white or orange.

During daylight you are welcome to our bathroom, but I don't think we want you to try to walk by the yellow gauntlets at night. They hold their privacy in high and noisy regard.

John
    Ok, thank you.... I guess it's plan B, which I haven't come up with yet.

and it's back to the darkroom......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey John - can't wait! We will be camping as well, but can get by without the porta-potty if need be. We hope to be there in time for coffee at 9am.

Hoping to get out and shoot in the afternoon wherever folks are going. Also, is the Wegman exhibit open yet? If so, anyone going?

And of course, Country Maid!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as Jeff & Eva will be there to keep me company, then it'll be kool. Plan B was $45 for the local Ohio Motel (thanks Lee for the link). I think I can hold it I think I'd like to camp at your place John, if that's ok?

Can't wait to see you guys! (Saturday & Sunday) I got a new lens too. It's a 65mm for a 4x5! It would be great on waterfalls. I also saw a pic of a staircase at the ledges. It's really old. Anybody know anything about this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/ooohiooo04/126560544/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    BTW - Last call for my Omega D3 with color head. It's set up for medium format but can handle 4x5.

If anyone wants it or knows someone who needs it then it's yours. Free. Gratis. I'll even deliver to John's place!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    I also saw a pic of a staircase at the ledges. It's really old. Anybody know anything about this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/ooohiooo04/126560544/
    Shawn posted one of the stairs in his gallery here on APUG. It's a WPA project IIRC. There's a description of it on a sign by the stairs. It's at the NE section of the ledges. I can show you where it is.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jeff,

Great that you two are camping and can keep Dorothy company. I got that mixed up and thought your were moteling this time. The bucket offer is extended to three.

Re: enlarger, I will send an email to the head of the photography program at U Akron to see if they would like a donation of your enlarger with a nice tax write off letter to you. Are there any more details about it that I should tell them?

Wegman exhibit and others below. Indoor alternatives.

Cleveland Museum of Art:
    http://www.clemusart.com/exhibitions/Friedlander.aspx
    375 Lee Friedlander photographs on exhibit
    May 31 is the last day of the show.

Akron Museum of Art:
    http://www.akronartmuseum.org/exhibi....php?unid=1031
    Lee Friedlander's Factory Valleys
    through May 31, 2009
    http://www.akronartmuseum.org/exhibi....php?unid=1033
    William Wegman: Fay
    May 16, 2009 - August 16, 2009

Dorothy,

Yes, of course you are welcome to camp.

The stairs in the photo you referenced and also Shawn’s picture can be reached .4 mile from the Ledges parking lot. If for some reason you don’t end up going with Lee, pull up this map http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisi...V_20080414.pdf Drive up the hill east on Truxell road from Akron Peninsula road. Akron Peninsula Rd. parallels the east side of the Cuyahoga River. Turn left into the Kendall Ledges parking lot. Unload and walk N out of the parking lot. At .3 mile bear right. The stairs are the rectangle on the map at the NE area of the ledges. As Lee says there is a sign at the bottom of the stairs and a bench. The sign tells the WPA history and shows a picture of a stone mason or two working on the project. Neat place.

All:
    A couple of years ago Lee, his son David and I did a lot of photos together all around the ledges. My pictures, long exposures in the shade, were mostly trees and roots just hanging on to the cliff edges. For me they are another interesting feature of these ledges. In some cases the roots are exposed 20-30 feet down the ledges. There are many trees that have not hung on and have cascaded down the sides. Wear boots that grab wet or dry stone so you do not cascade down with them. Poppa Powers wants you all to be able to come back again.

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Re: enlarger, I will send an email to the head of the photography program at U Akron to see if they would like a donation of your enlarger with a nice tax write off letter to you. Are there any more details about it that I should tell them?
    Thanks John. It's an Omega D3 4x5 enlarger with a color head. Currently is has a medium format mixing box, a 6x6 carrier and a 75mm lens I believe.

And also, it's sitting in Eva's office and annoying her. I suppose if no one wants it I could turn it into a nice lamp ....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin