Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,982   Online: 852

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Great places to shoot on Beaver Island?

I know it almost sounds like a joke but there is an island in lake Michigan visible from Cross Village called Beaver Island. I know a lot of folks that go to Photostock are familiar with Northern Michigan and perhaps a few have made it over to the island. I was wondering if anyone knows some good locations to shoot on Beaver Island. I'll be spending a week there with family.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Must.....suppress.....urge......for......adolescen t......humour
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know, my wife is tired of me snickering everytime we talk about the family vacation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Must.....suppress.....urge......for......adolescen t......humour
    The possibilites are overwhelming......

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    aah, beaver country.
    Yes, been there several times. We used to launch our 14ft boat in cross village and hope for the best. Sometimes the fog would make it hard to find in the morning. Other times it would be so choppy on the way back that you'd be sick and soaking wet in minutes. There's a bar there called the Shamrock. They've got good burgers, at least they did the last time (probably 15 years ago). Other than that it's been too long ago. Have fun. If you run into Dean Wilson, tell him vinny say's hello.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I must say, there was a TON of great photo opportunities on Beaver Island. If you like nature, lighthouses (2 of them), lakes, and/or rurex, you'd have a great time on Beaver Island. I'm thinking about heading up a day-trip expedition to the island during the next Photostock! Pictures will be forthcoming.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry I missed this thread, but glad you had a good time over there James. I've thought about an excursion there during Photostock, but figured it to be a pretty intense day trip.

Maybe an overnighter?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I could see an overnighter because you're right, there's a lot to squeeze in for just a day trip. Plus you'd be up early to catch the 7:20 ferry from Charlevoix and then come back at 5:20pm, not a lot of time and you would need a car for much of it. Split 4 (or more) ways getting a car over wouldn't be too bad and you'd be back in time to help kill a bottle of Maker's Mark. ;-) The problem with an overnighter is on might potentially be paying for two hotel rooms for 1 night. I'm split, I can see benefits and drawbacks for both but I'd lean towards an overnighter just because it's $150 to get a car there and back on top of $24/person. If you offer it as an option, I'd be up for showing people where some neat stuff is and being a bit of a guide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks James, It is definitely a consideration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I go the Beaver Island, I fly and camp at the airport. They will leave to terminal building unlocked if you need to use the facilities, or wash up in the morning. You can usually bum a ride to town. If you want to explore the rest of the island you need a car or bicycle. jmxphoto has listed the sites you can start with for photo opportunities.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin