Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,669   Online: 859

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey where is everybody? I miss you guys!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    hey where is everybody? I miss you guys!
    Good point Dorothy. What has everyone been doing photographically since we last saw each other? We have to have fodder for the next show and tell.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Good point Dorothy. What has everyone been doing photographically since we last saw each other? We have to have fodder for the next show and tell.

John

Well, I guess I'll start. I'm using up the last of my Fomatone Chamois 542. We have a show coming up on Dec 4-6 so I'm planning ahead... lol! I made a couple of 16x20s and tried something new. I used a diffuser under the enlarger lens. And it shows all the 'defects'. ouch! So, I'm thinking I need someone to invent a contraption that will move the diffuser filter in a circular motion while I do the dodging. Or I need more hands. I like the effect, but need more practice.

My next trick is to split tone the prints without ruining them. It's not easy toning 16x20s! I got a box of the new fomatone chamois 542-II but haven't tried it yet.

I got one nice print, but there's a stripe right down the middle, from what I don't know. Maybe a flaw in the paper? Then there's the black specs on the print........... ah, so much fun!

The good news is I found an enlarger lens I didn't know I had. It's a 105mm Rodenstock so now I can enlarge to 16x20 and crop out the vignetting. You'd think I would do that 'before' when I take the picture, but no. Still working on that dilema.

Can't wait till the next show & tell!
    Last edited by djkloss; 11-19-2009 at 08:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jeff & Eva Bannow mentioned that Andrew Moore will be exhibiting at the Akron Art Museum. Akron U professor Andrew Borowiec’s, “Ohio Photographs” run from Feb 20 to May 30th 2010. My contact at the museum, my Photo 2 instructor, says the Andrew Moore exhibit will open shortly after that in June. Why am I mentioning it now, months ahead? Andrew Moore has a six page spread in the Winter 2009 issue of Aperture that Dolly and I picked up at Barnes & Noble today. It is a great article with many photographs. We certainly will be going and we hope you will join us.

Jeff, tell us about your connection with Moore. I can see how he has been an inspiration for some of the work you have shown us. Tell us all about it.

Andrew Moore http://www.andrewlmoore.com/

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see work of Moore every day at lunch. A few years ago he and Larry Fink were commissioned by my employer to shoot around campus. So, a few years after it seems both his work and Larry's work wound up in the staff cafeteria. It is good work, I don't get tired of seeing it and will certainly head to Akron to see the show. I was down there a few weeks ago to see the Chuck Close exhibit. The Close exhibit was good, but in terms of photography, there were no photographs. There was a large Polaroid that looked like a photograph, but it was a d****** reproduction. I have pretty strong feelings about that kind of thing. It made me want to cut up my Ansel Adams and John Sexton calendars and display them as 'original reproductions'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also want to mention that my friend made his first prints last week in his modest apartment darkroom (thanks to Jeff's enlarger). So, he will have prints to show at our next gathering.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I also want to mention that my friend made his first prints last week in his modest apartment darkroom (thanks to Jeff's enlarger). So, he will have prints to show at our next gathering.
    Congratulations on first prints to Bill Jones who some of us met first time during Peter Spangenberg's platinum demo last event.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Saturday I received a post card notice of the next Photorama USA photo swap meet. Dec. 6th, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM at the Quality Inn - Richfield, just south of the Turnpike entrance on Brecksville Road. $6 entrance, $2 students with ID. Just in time to buy a Christmas photo goodie for your favorite photographer.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few years ago he and Larry Fink were commissioned by my employer to shoot around campus. So, a few years after it seems both his work and Larry's work wound up in the staff cafeteria. It is good work, I don't get tired of seeing it and will certainly head to Akron to see the show.
    Hopefully I'll be able to see the show as well. My schedule this spring is up in the air at the moment.
    side note - Larry Fink was my photography instructor in college. He only taught there for the one year and then went to a different college. Interesting guy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Jeff & Eva Bannow mentioned that Andrew Moore will be exhibiting at the Akron Art Museum. Akron U professor Andrew Borowiec’s, “Ohio Photographs” run from Feb 20 to May 30th 2010. My contact at the museum, my Photo 2 instructor, says the Andrew Moore exhibit will open shortly after that in June. Why am I mentioning it now, months ahead? Andrew Moore has a six page spread in the Winter 2009 issue of Aperture that Dolly and I picked up at Barnes & Noble today. It is a great article with many photographs. We certainly will be going and we hope you will join us.

Jeff, tell us about your connection with Moore. I can see how he has been an inspiration for some of the work you have shown us. Tell us all about it.

Andrew Moore http://www.andrewlmoore.com/

John
    Going to have to pick up that Aperture issue! I'm definitely planning on catching the exhibit as well.

So, the story of how we know Andrew ... Eva & I run a photo group called the Click Collective, as most of you know. It's a small group of about 20 members who get together to share work, critique, go on group shoots, hold gallery shows, etc. Two of the members are our German friends Dan & Silke Seybold, also occasionally seen here on APUG.

Through Dan & Silke, we are friends with Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre, two french photographers shooting 4x5 color work of abandoned buildings, for galleries in Paris. Their website We've toured them around Detroit a few times on day shoots ourselves.

Yves & Romain are friends with Andrew Moore through the shooting of abandoned buildings - Andrew contacted them after seeing their work published. Yves & Romain put Andrew in touch with Dan & Silke, who became fast friends.

Now, whenever any of them come to Detroit, Dan, Silke, Eva or I tour them around the ruins of Detroit. The last few times Andrew came, he stayed with Dan & Silke for the week. When he was in town over the summer, he was kind enough to critique the Dreams show The Click Collective was in the process of putting up at the BBAC.

Andrew's a nice guy and a talented photographer. He knows his way around a darkroom, and still shoots film - 4x5 & 8x10 color mostly.

Is that all clear as mud?

To summarize - acquaintance through mutual friends. I guess I should have said that to begin with.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin