Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,210   Online: 789

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7111213141516171819 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What have you all been up to this winter?

I got a box of 250 sheets of Ilford 8x10 paper on fleabay for cheap and have been printing at least 3 times a week. Mostly printing small format negatives from my archives. I have printed all my 8x10 negatives multiple times, I'm eagerly waiting for the days to get longer so the sun is out when I'm done with work so I can make more 8x10 negatives.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Since 2005 I have been a very quiet, lurking, member of the Midwest Large Format Asylum http://www.dunnamphoto.com/midwestlf/index.htm. On January 23, 2010 they had “The Third Annual Portfolio Review/Print Show” at a hotel at the entrance to the Indiana Dunes in Chesterton, Indiana, just east of Gary. That is a mere 310 miles one way from here.

16 or 17 members showed work, one at a time, from 9AM to 2:30 PM, on well lighted, combined tables, long enough to accommodate 17 of my matted 7x17 inch prints. It was a great experience with lots of really excellently seen, shot, printed and matted work. As the name implies all work is shot on large format. Most were 4x5, but there were many larger cameras up to 8x20. Most printed silver, but there were several platinum and even carbon prints.

My first impression was a lot of very nice people, fun, but also very serious about photography. They have a traveling outing the third weekend of each month. Most are simply further than I can drive alone. Let that be a segue to conversation for any who might share the ride or caravan in the future.

The print show was Saturday. Sunday they were going to invade a large falling down church in Gary. It was pouring rain Sunday morning so I headed back to OH by way of another love, the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, IN. I’m told I missed some great shooting with part of the church roof falling in and the floor shaking from the wind and rain howling through the broken out windows. I’ve just never learned how to have fun.

Look forward to meeting some of these good folks. We haven’t picked a weekend yet, but several of them would like to visit one or more of our gatherings when we start having them again in warmer weather. It might even be another good group for you to join.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=ic-racer;935302]What have you all been up to this winter? QUOTE]

My teacher (not quite half my age) said she doesn’t want to hear about cold, wet, clouds, snow and ice. I have been out shooting 8x10 with a theme of religious buildings in transition. I will be printing 16x20 for my class. Assuming I survive, that will mean 10 new images every other week, an over matted series of at least twenty images by the first week of May and a paper on Atget. Last term’s required five page paper on Walker Evans came out 17 pages. Lots of work ahead.

I am frightened to think how difficult the monkey on my back will make it when I retire from retirement.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    That little bump we saw on Bethe in December should arrive as a beautiful baby boy just about now. Prayers for safe delivery and arrival.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    That little bump we saw on Bethe in December should arrive as a beautiful baby boy just about now. Prayers for safe delivery and arrival.

John
    Should be soon! Thanks for the prayers - I think I'll need those as well as drugs.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Should be soon! Thanks for the prayers - I think I'll need those as well as drugs.
    GO FOR IT GIRL

JP

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I received this yeaterday, but waited to see if she posted. A celebration is in order. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

"Nathaniel Kenneth King was born at 4:41am today (2/6/10) 5 lbs 15 ozs. 18 inches. Pictures to follow next week or so.
    " (Bethe)

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats, Bethe!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    I received this yeaterday, but waited to see if she posted. A celebration is in order. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

"Nathaniel Kenneth King was born at 4:41am today (2/6/10) 5 lbs 15 ozs. 18 inches. Pictures to follow next week or so.
    " (Bethe)

John
    That's great news! Congratulations Bethe!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right now is the first chance I've had to get online and check in anywhere (I had my iPhone at the hospital).
    Thanks, all!!!
    We're both doing ok. I think I've had 4 hours of sleep since Friday, but we both seem to be healthy at this point and that's a good start. The only photos I've taken so far were with my iPhone and digi P&S, so I won't post them here now (and they aren't even downloaded, yet).
    oops - gotta go feed! I know, TMI.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin