Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,489   Online: 1032

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That sounds really good, Marc. Unfortunately I'm on a pretty short leash today with people coming over later. Hopefully see you at the talk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's okay. I know it was short-notice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just back from the talk where it was great to see Marc and a few other old photo friends. All in all a pretty good presentation and well attended. Pleasantly unpolished in my opinion considering Alec Soth does so many of these types of talks. Covered mostly work from Sleeping by the Mississippi and Niagra although he did get into some more multi-media types of projects incorporating still and video. Apparently he will be doing a monthly project of this type for the New York Times that will be interesting to see. He also plugged his new project, Little Brown Mushroom Books... www.littlebrownmushroom.com. Here is a sample of the type of thing he seems to be into now... http://www.vimeo.com/8537213 There is more to check out there as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just back from the talk....and dinner and hanging out in Ann Arbor with another photo bud. It was great to see Bill and I totally concur with Bill's description of the symposium. I'll add that if you like William Eggleston you'll like some of Alec Soth's work, too. I especially liked Alec's story done with stills, video and sound of his trip to Memphis, TN, getting a hotel room with his dog, explaining to his dog (and ultimately us) his plan of walking 7 miles to Eggleston's house and hoping for a good situation. It was not a good situation. But one of my favorite photos came from this piece. After Mrs. Eggleston slammed the door on Alec and his dog, Alec managed to get a nice photo taken through the Eggleston's kitchen window (from the outside in, of course). If I'm asked to leave a property I'm not sure I'd be looking through windows of the place to get a photo, but he had to leave with something, I suppose. Part II is next Saturday: http://tinyurl.com/ydyzsmu

-Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Part II was today with two speakers on tap. Due to a previously scheduled family commitment I missed the first speaker, Sally Stein. Her program was entitled "Between f/stops and F-starts: Women and Photography between the Feminist ‘Waves". The second speaker, Allan Sekula, whose program was called “Realism in a Time of Lies”, was to me an unorganized mess of a program. Perhaps others got more out of it than I but after about 20 minutes I had to leave.

-Marc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin