Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,715   Online: 926

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Northern Wisconsin, UP Michigan

Anyone interested in going shooting in the northern Wisconsin/UP Michigan area next week (Aug 1-6)? I will be vacationing with family in that area, and there appear to be lots of interesting places to photograph.

All the best,
    Daniel
    Last edited by dlin; 07-30-2010 at 12:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been up in that area a few times, lots of wonderful stuff. I just wanted to mention that the Quincy Dredge #2 on Torch Lake (UP) is worth seeing:

http://www.ship-wrecks.net/shipwreck...aw/dredge.html

Reid
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip, Reid. What is the closest town to Torch Lake?

All the best,
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a good time Daniel. I know when I drove through there on my way to Photostock last year there were a number of areas I would have liked to stop and shoot, did a couple of times. Classic farm country and beautiful wooded areas.
    Have fun!
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The biggest town near there is Houghton. Here's another page on the dredge that has a Google Map on it:

http://keweenawfreeguide.com/quincy-dredge/

Also, across the road from where the dredge is there are a few abandoned buildings that are really cool. One is right on the road, and the others are just behind it off into the woods.

I should also mention for anyone taking two-wheeled transportation, the last 11 miles of Hwy 41 going into Copper Harbor is the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Porcupine Mountains state park in the UP is nice, lots of little rivers/small waterfalls and also the commanding Presque Isle River falls. It might be too much like Eagle Creek if you are looking for some different subject matter. It's also pretty desolate there as in bring your own food and such so might not be much fun for the family on an extended stay but might be a good place to stop if you are going over to the Keewenaw. The whole peninsula is pretty interesting and there are fun activities and some touristy stuff too, is it a combo vacation, pictures for you and tourism and fun for the rest?..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish Daniel, but cannot swing it this year...
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would really love to meet up with you, Daniel, but I don't think it'll be possible due to having finals in school, etc.

There's photographic goodness everywhere up there, though! Have fun.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin