Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,939   Online: 783

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ektar Film for the Fall

Hi All,
    Wondered if any of our group has had experience with Ektar Film. I picked up some 120 rolls in hope to shoot some fall colors this Sept and Oct.

I wonder how it does in deep woods, no direct sunlight and long exposures of 2 to 12 seconds, +++. I put a test roll in the camera last night and will do a walk about over the week to come, hopefully finding some deep woods streams and lackluster waterfalls compared to CNP up there. I figure I will know when I am deep enough into the woods when the bugs are eating me alive, so I can test long exposures.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee,

I've tested Ektar for reciprocity failure using a standard astrophotography methodology. That consists of shooting one frame at 1/8 second (.125 seconds), then putting on a 10 stop ND filter and shooting at 125 seconds (.125*1000, which is 10 stops), bracketing exposure with aperture. You can calculate a Schwarzschild exponent from the number of stops adjustment necessary to get density equal to the shorter exposure.

The Schwarzschild exponent I got for Ektar 100 was about 0.81, not particularly good, not terrible. No reciprocity failure = 1.0. Films with low reciprocity failure are in the .88 to .98 range. For Ektar 100 with a Schwarzschild exponent of 0.81 in the range you mentioned, 2 seconds adjusts to about 3, and 12 seconds to about 23 seconds. I haven't checked color crossover or color shift.

You can make up your own reciprocity adjustment table with a spreadsheet and the following formula:

corrected exposure time in seconds = (metered time in seconds + 1)^(1/p)-1

with p being the Schwarzschild exponent.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee,
    Great information. Thank you so much for this insight. Looks like you did a very comprehensive study of the film. I'll plug the formula into Excel and see if I can make something work. Might make a little cheat sheet and put it in the light meter cary case.

So, did you like the look of Extar? I've used Fuji 160S for quite a while and have heard they may stop making it. I do not know what to believe there. I would think the Fuji people will outlast Kodak in making film but that is only my guess.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've shot several rolls (6-8?) of Ektar 100. The reciprocity test took about 5 frames on one roll, one for the short base exposure and the others for brackets at 125 seconds. I like it a lot. Internet reports of exaggerated Ektar 100 saturation, cyan skies, and blocked up reds don't hold true for me. I would have shot a lot more Ektar 100 if I weren't trying to finish off the Kodachrome and had a smaller stash of C-41 films on hand.

I've been through a couple of bricks of Pro 160S. It has been my main C-41 film for a while. I think the official Fuji line is that Pro 160C was/will be dropped and Pro 160S will continue with a name change since they won't need to distinguish between two Pro 160 films. I'm not placing bets on who will make film longer. I'd like to see them all continue to produce as many different films as possible.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Lee,

Sorry for the slow answer. Dolly and I went to see the Cartier-Bresson exhibit in Chicago and just got back Tuesday evening. Fantastic show. 460+ prints. As you may remember Dolly is a water colorist and was ecstatic viewing the twenty three Monets at the Art Institute.

In the Alt Processes course we were to work in Cyanotype and Van Dyke. I had one problem after another with my negatives and Cyanotype, so for all intents and purposes I worked in Van Dyke. Eight of the 7x17s are matted and in a show now, but should be back by our gathering. The 8x10s are also matted and at home.

This being my first experience with Van Dyke it was really interesting to compare the silver contact prints with the Van Dykes. I learned the tonal range is really much longer than silver and needed to be much more contrasty than what usually works for me in silver. The negatives that printed best were mostly ones that had too wide a range to easily print in silver without much dodging and burning. I noticed the other students were printing digitally enlarged negatives in 5-10 minute exposures in the UV light box. My Rollo Pyro stained negatives were 15-48 minutes. A step test and then a print meant I was lucky to get two good prints an eight hour day. Some time ago I bought a used Ameragraph 1200 watt mercury plate burner with vacuum table that I will start working with soon. That will reduce times to a more reasonable range and increase the electric bill to a less reasonable range.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made it to the Akron show. Wow! is all I can say! The photography was stunning. and the multi-media show at the end was also breath taking! My artist friend hadn't seen the new building so being able to tell him "I told you so!" was the best! He was really impressed with the whole place, especially the photography, and wants to know why I can't print that big. He also wants me to do a solo show at the gallery in Erie so I really need some help with a portfolio and a lot of other things. Sorry I missed the last get together.

Cheers,
    Dorothy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hello?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    hello?
    Great stuff on the flicker page. I really enjoy the expressive views of nature. You make Dolly & John's pond look like my dreams.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dorothy,

You are so demanding. Did you stop by with your fellow? Did we go out for your favaorite Indian food and hear what is about? Did we get to see his work? Why, the girls didn't even get to sniff.

I'm with Lee. I love the new work on your flicker page.

Hello.

John

Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    hello?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Dorothy,

You are so demanding. Did you stop by with your fellow? Did we go out for your favaorite Indian food and hear what is about? Did we get to see his work? Why, the girls didn't even get to sniff.

I'm with Lee. I love the new work on your flicker page. Hello.

John

So I've heard (pushy) I call it enthusiasm I'm sorry, no, we got lost in Kent, and of course, no maps or gps, then off to Akron, then straight home. The week before we went to Pittsburgh to the Carnegie Museum to see the AAP show which was great. There was an Indian restaraunt in Pittsburgh we went to which was really nice. He's pushing me to do a solo show, (and to draw! ha ha!) and I keep saying I'm not ready. I don't even have a portfolio which is where you guys come in. I need help! Maybe one of our experts can have a talk on how to put together a thesis and portfolio at one of our gatherings? I need to quit experimenting and start printing. Looking forward to September. Hope I can make it this time. Thanks Lee & John, for the compliment.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin