Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,567   Online: 883

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    I don't even have a portfolio which is where you guys come in. I need help! Maybe one of our experts can have a talk on how to put together a thesis and portfolio at one of our gatherings? I need to quit experimenting and start printing. Looking forward to September. Hope I can make it this time. Thanks Lee & John, for the compliment.
    I think you need to stop beating yourself up. In my opinion you have some of the most creative and well presented work I see at: our gatherings, The Midwest LF Asylum, or the twenty courses I have take at U Akron. You have suggested a great idea as you do so often. Here are some of my thoughts. I hope others will add, especially examples I may have forgotten.

Let’s start with current teaching on portfolio concept. The only place I know, the Art School at U Akron starts students on the portfolio path in Photo 1. As soon as they can develop and print, the students are directed to create a theme and then present five prints related to that theme. In Photo 2 they continue with a handmade book of prints related to a theme. In any advanced class there is one assignment. Finish the course with twenty 11x14 or larger B&W or color prints in window mats related to a theme. The student gets there by shooting four rolls of 36 images a week in 35mm and putting ten new prints on the board for class and teacher critique every two weeks. Major parts of the critique are; what is your theme, how does this picture relate to the theme, how well is it printed, how consistent is the printing in the whole portfolio? To graduate as a Photo Major they have to have had four advanced classes and a senior show of one of these themes.

I have seen first time advanced students dither away half a term trying to figure out a theme. The more experienced ones have a theme in mind before they take the course and shoot all summer or all Christmas break on that theme. Many second or third time advanced students continue an earlier theme. At last count I had 150 prints on the OH & Erie Canal in 7x17. A cohesive body of work on the canal was exactly what Cleveland’s history museum wanted to augment its canal exhibit. Other themes of mine have been: detail of the railroad tie wall at the art school’s parking lot, metallic spirals and religion in transition. We are told that galleries are looking for a theme, well presented, to make their gallery stand out and sell prints.

Thinking of past attendees of the NE OH group, some themes come back from memory. Help me if an Alzheimer candidate has forgotten someone. Shawn –Pond Scum, Daniel L – Nature Abstractions, Peter- Stones in River in Platinum, Lee G – People (us) in Natural Environment, Rick T (you haven’t met him) Abstractions in Deterioration, Jeff & Eva – Travel and Detroit Disassembled, Bob & Ann – Detail of the Old Mills in Pittsburgh., Bill S – Wet Plate Portraits. Joe S - Wet Plate Nudes. Anyone please add what I have forgotten or not learned to date.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow - I took a few weeks off from APUG, and they redesign it, and we have a 5 page thread about September!

I will join you on Friday and Sunday in September. Unfortunately, I have a retreat for a non-profit that I am involved with (I better be there, I'm the president).

Lee - I've shot a lot of Ektar 100. When I was in Spain earlier this year, I shot either Ektar 100 or Fuji 400H (and a few of 800 and 1600 Fuji). I think you can click in my signature and see some scans that show the different colors from the different films. As you may know, I like to scan, and Ektar 100 scans very nicely with my Coolscan 9000. I will usually expose at 2/3 to 1 stop over, and the results are very nice.

Also, I've got some extra KR64 if anyone wants a few rolls. To use up what I have, I may be shooting a roll everyday during the fall foliage season. (actually, that sounds like fun).

Looking forward to seeing everyone next month.

Jeff

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jeff,

Great that you are coming. Looking forward to seeing more prints. Have you made any advances on your plans to develop film? I saw Dale mentioned a Shen Hao at the end of the July gathering thread. “Did you pick up a camera yet? PM me if you have more questions. There was a Shen Hao HZX45-IIA for $550 on the LF forum yesterday.” Have you moved into 4x5?

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think that the portfolio discussion is an excellent idea. While it would be nice to have a "professional" talk about how to construct a proper portfolio, I am sure that we have some great collective knowledge among us. Perhaps those who were willing could show their portfolios and talk just a bit about them, and others can provide constructive feedback. In this way we can all learn from one another.
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dorothy,

I forgot to mention that portfolios are usually delivered in some sort of box or carrying case. I have a plastic giant brief case that is called a portfolio case. Any art supply store sells them. Archival boxes that can be found at Holngermetaledge.com among other places are great. It shows your concern with archival quality. My matted 7x17 prints are an odd shape. I found that some followers of that format had custom presentation boxes made. Unfortunately I missed the original order and the later resale when some of the original people changed format. Daniel and Shawn had some pretty neat presentation boxes from which they showed their work recently. I don’t remember if you were here that time. There are also heavy shipping cases for transcontinental portfolio shipping.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hay All,
    Found a great write up on Portfolios.

http://art-support.com/portfolio.htm

I think it would be good too as others have said have some discussions on creating, and showing portfolios. Given winter hibernation is upon us soon, it might be a good time to develop one based on some of the discussions we have.

Look forward to see you all soon. Sue and I hope to also get down to the Berlin area too while we are there. I's a drive away, but will be nice for a new area to explore and put some images into a new portfolio.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Great article Lee. Thank you. I was reminded of a suggestion Bob Herbst gave in a platinum printing workshop that Peter and I took several years ago. He said that when Tom Hinson, Curator of Photography at the Cleveland Museum of Art since 1973, looked at work he immediately flipped the over mat up to look at the print itself. If it was an alternative process he wanted to look at the quality of the brush strokes or if matted out with rubylith, how well it was done. He wanted to look at how the print was affixed to the back mat. Bob had developed a method of folding a strip of the same mat board so it acted as a corner mount and certainly looked better than the artist’s tape I use.

Hopefully with hints such as these we will all be delivering better work to whom ever we want to see our prints.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Reminder: The 38th Cleveland Camera Collectors Show, Sunday, August 29, 2010, 10 AM to 4 PM, 4742 Brecksville Rd., Richfield, OH 4486, Days Inn.

I hope to be there at show opening. One time five or six of us went to the Musketeers for lunch afterwards. I am game if anyone else is there.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dolly and I went back to the Akron Art Museum today to see the two exhibits again that we saw at the end of the last gathering. “Detroit Disassembled: Photographs by Andrew Moore” and “Arctic Re-visions:” http://www.akronartmuseum.org/exhibitions/ These are really good and we hope you will find time during the weekend to see them.

Jeff I hope you and Eva will tell us more about your experiences with Andrew Moore.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that the exhibit book was no longer available in the museum store. Jeff said, “Andrew said the publisher is already sold out. Not sure if they'll be doing another printing either.” Please see that as an indication of how good this exhibit is.

The good news is that there has been a second printing and at least today books were available in the museum store. We bought a copy. We also have the 25 minute PBS video of the artist discussing his work and the exhibit. Both will be available for a look if anyone is trying to decide whether to go to the museum.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well gang. We need a little help here. This is a gathering of like minded folks who share their interests, enjoy the hobby and learn from each other. We have an event coming in two weeks. We don’t seem to have the enthusiasm, the conversations, that usually fill this thread. What can we do to generate a little momentum? Where is the buzz we have had in the past?

Do we have any more input on building and presenting a portfolio?

Who will have pictures to show, of what, in what media?

Would someone be willing to make a presentation on portfolios or another photo related subject? Peter had a great one on platinum printing a couple events back. Would someone offer something they are working on?

Is there something in the area people would like to photograph as a group, discuss as a group, make plans to accomplish? Unless the hurricane brings us some water the waterfalls will not offer much. Does anyone have any ideas what subjects might be enhanced by a dry spell?

Talk to us. What do you want from the event? What can you contribute?

John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin