Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,581   Online: 922

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Safety First in Cold Weather Outings

I plan to publish a number of post on staying safe when outside for some time. I should be able to combine all these tips into a single document to forward to people just before we start out to the Frozen Film shoot.

We all need to think about a few things in this order:
    • Be Safe, Watch Over Your Body in Cold Weather
    • Be Safe and Watch Over Your Hiking Partner (Always Hike in Groups of 2 or More)
    • Be Safe and Watch Out for Your Equipment
    • Bring Back Master Pieces

The University of Iowa Hospitals& Clinics published these tips. Web link below.

Winter weather can be nasty and two of the meanest winter culprits are hypothermia and frostbite. Hypothermia--When your body is unable to maintain a core temperature of 95 degrees F, you begin to shiver, your speech slurs, your breathing slows, your skin is cold and pale, your coordination suffers, and you are lethargic and apathetic. Young children, the elderly, and the ill are the most vulnerable.

Wet, damp clothing, an uncovered head, and inadequate clothing can contribute to hypothermia. Other conditions that make an individual susceptible include excessive consumption of alcohol, cardiovascular disease, and an underactive thyroid.

To treat hypothermia, bring the person out of the cold. Remove wet clothing and replace it with warm, dry clothing. Wrap the person in blankets. Call 911 for emergency assistance. Provide a warm drink--do not give the person alcohol.

"Persons pulled from icy water should lay still, be dried and covered. Movement of the extremities can cause cold blood to return to the heart, resulting in a life-threatening change in cardiac rhythm," says Eric W. Dickson, M.D., director of the Emergency Medicine Program at UI Hospitals and Clinics.

Frostbite--Skin on fingers, toes, earlobes, cheeks, and noses are the most vulnerable to prolonged exposure to freezing temperatures, wet clothes, and forceful winds. Blood vessels near the surface of the skin constrict to preserve internal body heat, reducing blood flow to the skin. The result is frostbite. Frostbite ranges from white or yellowish skin accompanied by itching or burning sensations, numbness, and in the most severe cases, blistering.

To treat frostbite, bring the person out of the cold. Remove wet or constricting clothing, including jewelry. Call 911 for emergency assistance. DO NOT rub frostbitten areas or apply direct heat.

Unknown. (2005) Take Precautions to Protect Yourself in Cold Weather. University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Retrieved on September 30 2010. Accessed from http://www.uihealthcare.com/news/new...1/03chill.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hotel Headquarters

Greetings all.
    After looking at a great number of different cabins, B&B and other locations Sue and I have chosen to stay at the Baymont Hotel just about at the intersection of Rt 33 and Rt 664.
    Baymont Inn and Suites Logan
    12819 State Route 664 South
    Logan, OH 43138 US
    Phone: 740-385-1700
    Fax:740-385-9288

The hotel has nice amenities and is reasonably priced. Deciding factors were
    Plowed Roads (33 and 664) Depending on heavy show.
    Close location to medical facilities
    Restaurants in the area
    Web access, ( I am in an online class at that time)
    Free breakfasts
    Indoor pool and hot tub
    Trippe AAA discounts
    Easy location to leave from and head home on Sunday.

Logan is 12 miles to the north of Old Mans Cave. Considering the probable weather it will be more than a 20 minute drive, no chance of getting up to highway speeds on Rt 664. Add snow and slow down, way down, but it is close enough to stage from. They do have meeting rooms. I will looks see if we can squat in them without charge.

Hope you can join us. Spread the word.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Greetings all.
    After looking at a great number of different cabins, B&B and other locations Sue and I have chosen to stay at the .......
    UPDATE: "New Frozen Film HQ"

While Sue and I were down there on 11/12 & 13 we did a walk through of the Baymont and the Holiday Inn as well. Upon looking at the common areas like the lobby pools and more and the size of the room we decided to change our stay to:

Holiday Inn.
    Hocking Hills-logan
    12916 Grey St,
    Logan,OHIO
    United States 43138
    Hotel Front Desk : 740-385-7700

The rooms were just about 50% bigger as far as we could see. They all had mini frig and microwave, coffee pots as did the Baymont rooms but just bigger, well lit and larger lobby area to gather. The breakfasts were Much Better at the H.I. too. Holiday Inn has a "same day by 6pm" cancelation policy, Baymond has a 24hr prior cancelation policy, so if you change your mind the day of, you pay the piper.

This is not to discount the hundreds of cabins avaiable in the area with hot tubs and full kitchens. We just do not have a 4x4 vehicle to take on some of the "driveways" if not plowed (We are looking for a snowy trip).

We had a great time. We went to Old Mans Cave, Lower Falls, Rock House (My Favorite) and we also visited something new for me, Natural Bridge. Not part of Hocking Hills State Park, but a very nice much like Natural Bridge KY. Really loved the Natural Bridge.

Look for photos in my next post, not as fast as I used to be... I'll place a link to my smugmug account.

Stay Cool, See You in the Snow.
    Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Images of Hocking Hills

You can find some of the images Sue and I took just this last weekend.
    http://leegephart.smugmug.com/Art

See you in the snow.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks like the area has lots of potential. Looking forward to the trip.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee -

Your photos show that you went to many of the same places I did.

Jeff -

There is quite a bit to do in the area - we actually have a number of photographs taken in the area that were made by a local photographer. I think there are opportunities to photograph during all times of the year.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff,
    I'd love to see more of your images of H.H..

Your right there are a hand full of spectacular sights there. This was my first time at Natural Bridge, funny I've been going there since the pony tail reached the middle of my back in the 70s, but I think I forgot that....
    So I think it was my first time at the bridge.

There had been no rain in about 2 weeks there, so there was no water falls at Natural Bridge or the Lower Falls or even flowing under Old Man's Cave. Was the water running when you were there?

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by htimsdj View Post
    Lee -

Your photos show that you went to many of the same places I did.

Jeff -

There is quite a bit to do in the area - we actually have a number of photographs taken in the area that were made by a local photographer. I think there are opportunities to photograph during all times of the year.

Jeff
    Last edited by daleeman; 11-17-2010 at 06:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee - It was quite dry when we were there. A park ranger took us on a hike of Cedar Falls, and he referred to it as Cedar Trickle. Ash Cave had no water coming over the lip; Old Man's Cave had water flowing below, but not much.

Here is one photograph from our trip, on Kodachrome: http://flic.kr/p/8PeTjb

I'll scan more and post them later.

Looking forward to the February trip - it should be a good time for black and white photography.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello! New to Apug, but would be interested in the Hocking trip. Once all of the details are finalized I'll check my work schedule. I've been there a couple of times, but never with film. Hoping to have an RB or RZ 67 by then!!!

Jeff from Marysville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpreston View Post
    Hello! New to Apug, but would be interested in the Hocking trip. Once all of the details are finalized I'll check my work schedule. I've been there a couple of times, but never with film. Hoping to have an RB or RZ 67 by then!!!

Jeff from Marysville
    Jeff,
    Glad to have you come. Its good to have some people with us who have been there as well. Good luck on obtaining the RB or RZ67. Stay in touch

Lee

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin