Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,887   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Six States Photography Show get together, Oberlin, OH

The Firelands Association for the Visual Arts (FAVA) in Oberlin, Ohio, has held a Six States Photography Show annually from 1979 to 2009, and it's now scheduled every other year. Oberlin is about 35 miles SW of Cleveland, OH. The show's name comes from the region from which submissions are accepted, which is Ohio and the five contiguous states: Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, and Michigan. This year's juror for the show is Kitty McManus Zurko, the director of the Wooster College art museum. The show has been about 50/50 digital/analog for the past several years, and has included a wide variety of alt processes and silver gelatin prints. It occupies two rooms, and there are usually something like 40-50 works on display.

The 2011 Six States Photography Show runs from March 6th - March 31st. The generous host of many of our NE OH APUG get togethers, jp80874, has three entries accepted for this year's show.

Since nearly all of the participants in the NE OH get togethers are eligible to enter the Six States show, and might be interested in submissions in the upcoming years, I thought it would be a good thing to propose a lunch and gallery viewing on one of the Sundays during the show. There are several good restaurants within a block to the east, south, and west of the FAVA gallery, with Sunday gallery hours from 1-5pm.

We already have a meet-up going for the camera show on the 6th, and there is a FAVA reception scheduled for Sunday the 13th, which is often rather crowded, and includes a short talk by the juror. It might be best not to impose a large number of APUG guests on that event, but I'm sure that a half-dozen or so of us wouldn't cause an overload for those that want to attend for the talk. So I'm thinking that a lunch and gallery visit on March 20th or 27th might be a good proposal. We have a number of regular folks who find it hard to travel to this part of OH on a Saturday, which is why I'm proposing a Sunday.

Rather than put a hard date on it, perhaps we can come to some consensus, or do it both weekends if there folks who already have plans. This thread can be a coordinating point.

I've put a map for FAVA up on the NEOH APUG web page: https://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/home/places

and the FAVA web page is at: http://www.favagallery.org/

Firelands Association for the Visual Arts
    39 South Main Street
    Oberlin, Ohio 44074
    phone: (440) 774-7158

Once we have some indications of interest, I can propose a meeting place on the given date(s). I'd also be happy to try and meet up with anyone who finds another day or time convenient to come separately from the group. Just PM me.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Lee,

Thank you for organizing this. I would add that "downtown" Oberlin, around the square is a lovely place and very photogenic. Lee gives wonderful tours of the area.

According to the notice FAVA sent the show will be most crowded around 3 PM, March 13th. "We hope you will be able to attend the reception on Sunday, March 13 (2-4 p.m.). There will be a brief ceremony at approximately 3 p.m. when this year’s award winners will be announced."

Dolly and I will be happy to come early for a lunch gathering of good company. This is the fifth year my work has been juried into the show, but the first that all three entries were invited. I am super excited.

John Powers

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations, John! I don't know whether I'll be able to get there for the show or not (who am I kidding...) but I'm very happy for you!

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations, John.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee,
    I'd be interested in joining you all. Love to see more of everyone's work. I'll follow the thread and see if you all decide to get together on the 20th or other date. @0 works good for me, "First Day of Spring"

(The Other) Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Lee,
    @0 works good for me

(The Other) Lee
    I see what you're doing there, cleverly coding 2 in Shift+2 form...

(The Other Other) Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Mike and Chazzy.

Come on Mike. It is an hour shorter drive than to my house for you. FAVA usually has some really interesting work. Mine probably wouldn't be new for you since I entered three of the ten 7x17s OH & Erie Canal Vandykes you saw in January.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    I see what you're doing there, cleverly coding 2 in Shift+2 form...

(The Other Other) Lee
    Here I thought the First Day of Spring gave it away or more like @springday would be good for me

(that other other Other) lEE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh man, the FAVA show, I just got a notice from these guys today!

I'm going to be attending the reception on the 13th from 2-4pm, it'll be great to see some other APUG'ers work. This is my first year entering the show and I was two for two with my entries.

@JP80874 7x17's?!? Those must look amazing! Glad to see this is a proper show that embraces LF and ULF. There was a show in Lima, OH not too long ago that didn't let in some Pt/Pd 4x5 prints b/c they were too small. >__<
    Co-Host of The Film Photography Podcast, the bi-monthly internet radio show all about film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mat4226 View Post
    I'm going to be attending the reception on the 13th from 2-4pm, it'll be great to see some other APUG'ers work. This is my first year entering the show and I was two for two with my entries.
    There was a show in Lima, OH not too long ago that didn't let in some Pt/Pd 4x5 prints b/c they were too small. >__<
    I should be there that day as well. Look forward to meeting you. Congrats on the entries. That makes at least 5 APUGger pieces in the show.

Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin