Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,392   Online: 784

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jorj,

Hope you can make it. Be great to see you and your family, this place sounds like a little bit of heaven on earth.

Thanks for the update on the park. Hitting peak time any where is never anything but a gamble. Throw in Irene and one can be grateful there are still trees standing, much less colorful leaves. Hope you can make it.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sadly, not going to make it - Irene saturated the ground well enough that the remnants of Lee flooded the house. The ground water level just fell below the level of our basement floor today, but not by much; pumps still running full steam ahead. So, going to be spending my Rickets Glen time and money on rebuilding the dim room and replacing the supplies that I lost in the flood...

Hope you all enjoy the falls! Maybe next time I'll be able to make it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jorj View Post
    Sadly, not going to make it - Irene saturated the ground well enough that the remnants of Lee flooded the house. The ground water level just fell below the level of our basement floor today, but not by much; pumps still running full steam ahead. So, going to be spending my Rickets Glen time and money on rebuilding the dim room and replacing the supplies that I lost in the flood...

Hope you all enjoy the falls! Maybe next time I'll be able to make it.
    Jorj,
    You are certainly in my thoughts and prayers after Irene and dealing with your loss and extra efforts. Certainly can not be easy. Keep them pumps running and your spirits as high as possible. I can only imagine having to deal with that issue.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So, Dale, what part of the trail are we thinking here? I know the three highest falls are on the western part of the loop. Descending here from the park down to 118 is a little over three miles and a good descent from the park.

Whatcha thinking? Three weeks to go.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jorj,
    How is the clean up going?

Chris and others, any chance we can chat on the phone Sunday eve? We should all have each other's cell and emergency POC information so we can look out for each other.

My cell is 937-294-3117

Lee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    302-745-5886. How about 7PM?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Update from luminous landscape thread as to the conditions in the park. More later this week.

Re: Rickets Glen Pa.
    « Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »
    Reply Quote
    You can check conditions in the park from it's webpage on the DCNR website just google Rickets Glenn and check the advisory link on the tool bar. Irene caused all the water features to flood with moderate erosion with some tree blowdowns. The week after that storm lee caused extreme stream flooding with major erosion, the bridges are out in Lopez and will not be replaced for a long time(the state is pretty close to bankrupt). you can't approach the park from the north, I think you can access the park from the route 118 trail head and from the south from route 487. Even those roads have been undermined. All of the eastern half of Pa surpassed record levels of annual precipitation this week. We are at about 62inches of rainfall already the past record was set in 1972(hurricane agnes year) at 59.2 inches, average annual precipitation is about 31inches. the leaves are beginning to fall but not really color up where i am located about 75 miles south of the park. I will be near the park next week in wilkes barre for a DCNR seminar on invasive plant & insects to get "points" for my landowner herbicide & pesticide permits. I will post regarding fall foliage for you. Currently the DCNR state parks and state forests are officially open they are discouraging most trail usage, I would suggest that you invest in a pair of "Muck" boots or ssome similar waterproof foot wear(tractor supply is running sales on the new neoprene lined ones).

Thanks SangRaal. Gread update.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We, Sue and I, are planning on getting to Ricketts Glen about 10 ish or earlier, on Friday the 14th start hiking. Each hike we plan to start at the top of the Y of the two rivers for our hike, then kike down hill (this requires 2 cars). We begin to hike on the eastern fork. See attached map. Rt. 118 Trailhead Parking Access to Falls Trail, Old Bulldozer Road on Friday

Friday will be a long 2 way hike unless we can coordinate a 2 car system and park one car at Beach Lot#2 Trailhead Parking Access to Falls Trail, Cherry Run Trail, Mt. Springs Trail, and Old Bulldozer Road Trail.. And then hike down to Rt. 118 Trailhead Parking Access to Falls Trail, Old Bulldozer Road where we will hopefully have a second car parked.

Saturday (better weather we hope will be to arrange to park one or two cars at the bottom of the Y of the two rivers at the trail head and shuttle all hikers / photographers up to the top of the West facing river area. We will park a car at the Lake Rose Trailhead Parking - Access to Falls Trail, and the Ganoga View/Old Beaver Dam Road. This is the shortest route to the waterfalls then hike to Rt. 118 Trailhead Parking Access to Falls Trail, Old Bulldozer Road at the end of the falls trail.

So over two days we hope to hike the falls. Please note, waterfalls are never on flat ground. It will be a major kike over ruff, muddy terrain. Be prepared for mud, ruff hills and a lot of walking. We are on a plus note planning on walking down hill most of the time, but there are parts that are uphill from looking at the Topo map.

More maps and info at:
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar.../rickettsglen/

Lee
    Attached Files

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I may be as late as 3PM getting to the park on Friday so don't wait for me. If I can't hail anyone when I get to the hotel I will await a call or, well, we'll just play it by ear.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Latest update from SangRaal on Luminous Landscape Website about Ricketts Glen:

OK I was up in that area for several days last week into the beginning of this week( so much for my quick 1 or 2 day trip), Fall color began last thursday morning with their first killing frost, with fall color spreading down to the southern end of the Susquehanna valley by monday . Be careful driving to the park and the trailheads many roads are closed with detours in place( even in major population areas of north east Pa) even roads that were not flooded are heaved by hydraulic pressure from underneath expect driving to be slow. On the bright side there is a great leaf canopy and color should be wonderful. I'm not sure about your rope idea a more practical solution would be a trekking pole or the Gitzo monopod trekking pole combo. I would like to get up there for some pictures and I have begun a photo project of the Locust Ridge wind farm (stitched panoramas and just open) in Schuykill county off of routes 924 and 339 that I need to finish.

Thanks SangRaal !!!

Lee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin