Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,293   Online: 908

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    We can bad mouth Shawn for not showing up since last March. Oh Hi Shawn.

John
    deserved!

Birthday party was fine but I would have much rather been spending money I don't have on camera equipment I don't need! And BSing with the local crew of course.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    We missed ya. I think the only way you can make it up to us is to be sure to be with us at the end of the month. Looking forward to meeting Lynn.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Cuyahoga Valley National Park Scenic RR is up and running again after extensive repairs. For the steamaholics the largest steam engine east of the Mississippi will be involved in great sounding events, including night photography. Unfortunately the last event will be the weekend before our gathering. For those interested:

http://www.cvsr.com/steam-in-the-valley.aspx

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting that John. I'm right here and did not know the 765 was coming back. Here is some info on the 765 steam engine for those that don't know it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Plate_765

Did you get anything at the "Collectors Show?" I wound up getting a like-new GrayLab timer. It still had the original wrap to the power cord. Also a couple of 16mm cameras.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Interesting stuff about 765. Thank you for posting. Ironic that a mobile object such as a steam engine can be on the National Register of Historic Places.

I found a beautiful large boxed high quality magnifying glass for Dolly. Peter found me a heavy duty long throw cable release. There was an interesting 1895 Rochester camera but Peter and I walked away after some thought about the repairs needed. My usual goal is books of photographer’s works. All I saw were Leica & Nikon related books. My best sources did not have tables there this time.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Happy to report that Doug Clow who joined us for the first time last event, from Canton, OH, will be back for this event.

This is how the group grows, new people join us, like it and come back.

If you are a lurker, reading and not participating, know that as a film shooter you are welcome to come. Just let me know contact information and an emergency contact.

Glad you are coming Doug.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Civil War exhibit with Mathew Brady, stereo photographs & Winslow Homer sketches. Canton Museum of Art - 47 minutes from our house via Rt. 77S

I don’t know whether we will want to try and work this into our gathering. Certainly if there is bad weather we should consider it. Those local may want to go at another time.

Excerpt from Akron Beacon Journal, Dorothy Shinn review 9/4/11
    “….Through Oct. 30 in observance of the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War, the Canton Museum of Art is exhibiting A Nation Divided: The Heartland Responds, an exhibit of Civil War photography, art and artifacts relevant to Ohio and neighboring states.

The works in this show have been borrowed from numerous collections throughout Ohio, several of them from private collectors, but the vast majority from the Western Reserve Historical Society in Cleveland, the Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown and the McKinley Presidential Library & Museum in Canton.

From the Western Reserve Historical Society comes a historic collection of photographs that the Canton Museum has reproduced, to protect the fragile originals from extended exposure, and enlarged to enable visitors to see the details of the images. Some of the images are so crisp that the museum has been able to enlarge them to over life size.

From the Butler comes a collection of sketches by Winslow Homer done for newspapers and other periodicals such as Harper’s Monthly. These show bivouacs, battle scenes, camp life, soldiers returning from the war, family reunions, and so on.

Homer’s illustrations were reproduced in the periodicals using a block printing technique since the technology for printing photographs in newspapers was not invented until 1880.

While photography was not yet in widespread use in periodicals, it did have a pivotal role to play during this war, the first major military conflict that was, at least in the beginning, closely followed by the public as it unfolded.

Mathew Brady, the famed Civil War photographer, found his work much in demand during the war, but ignored immediately afterward. He had to close his studio and sell his photographs to the U.S. government to pay his debts because the nation wanted to put that conflict behind it.

The McKinley loan includes uniforms, weapons and memorabilia. A private collector and re-enactor from Ohio has loaned impressive artillery pieces.

Many of the re-enactors have become collectors, such as the Union re-enactor who loaned the museum his collection of camp chairs and Mexican War-era saddle and bridle. (He was also able to secure a Confederate general’s uniform for M.J. Albacete, Canton Museum of Art executive director, who appeared at Thursday’s opening gala as Gen. Lee.)

Separate gallery space has been devoted to viewing stereographic images, a form of 3-D technology perfected by Oliver Wendell Holmes in 1859 that became popular during the Civil War period. Traditionally viewed through a hand-held stereopticon, the museum has converted many of these images to digital format, viewed using red and green glasses. Viewers may find, as I did, that the red half of these glasses overwhelms the viewing experience unless the glasses are pressed firmly and evenly against the face.

All in all, this is a well-staged exhibit, dramatically presented with extensive didactic materials that put the items in context….”

Full text:
    http://the330.com/featured/civil-war...ed%e2%80%99-2/

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Matthew Brady exhibit sounds interesting.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am going to try to make this one. I even got another tent!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Great news that you are "going to try to make this one" Dorothy. You always make the event. Really glad you got another tent. Mat Marrash was here for the first time last event. We had a soaker rain Saturday night and he was camping. He ended up looking for a motel in the wee hours. We of course didn’t know until the next day.

It probably is a good point in the thread to remind everyone who will be camping to be sure to bring a ground cloth. We have had a lot of rain and a good bit is forecasted ahead.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin