Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,405   Online: 1096

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Time is getting close, I'm excited so I thought I would give this thread a bump and share what is new. I've signed up for a studio portrait class for 4x5. All images have to be done with artificial lights. So I may be looking to corner a few of you all.
    Lee
    Good for you Lee. I'm certainly an advocate of further education. Does this mean you need space to shoot inside? If so can you describe the requirements so I can shovel some stuff to the side and make room. In the past I have done macro work in the part of the basement outside the darkroom, near the washer and drier, set up lights and stands. Will this be enough space for you? Any other requirements beside electricity. I hope you will think about doing a demo, explaining your thoughts on lighting, bring some samples of your work if you have made some prints, etc.

Thanks,

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hay John.
    I am excited about this class. You probably do not need to clear anything out of the way, I have AC powered studio strobes, and we might try some at night, but we might also try some battery powered strobes with slaves... I'll see what I can drum up. Wish we had some 4x5 Polaroid, but I have heard that is what they invented digital cameras for is to replace Polaroids test sheets for prepping large format work. Well that is what my prof said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mat4226 View Post
    I'll remember to bring a good 2 or 3 ground cloths with me this time around.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again, and maybe even some new faces. ^_^
    Matt, I saw you on Flickr. Nice work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    Matt, I saw you on Flickr. Nice work!
    Well thank you very much. I added you on Flickr as well. ^__^

Oh man, I've been rifling through so much 8x10 lately, I may need another box by the time this next meetup starts. x__x Better stock up now.
    Co-Host of The Film Photography Podcast, the bi-monthly internet radio show all about film!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Hay John.
    I am excited about this class. You probably do not need to clear anything out of the way, I have AC powered studio strobes, and we might try some at night, but we might also try some battery powered strobes with slaves... .
    Lee,

Enjoy the class.

Okay on not needing to set up in the basement. To help you plan your options here are the outlets available outside. The garage has been rewired recently with three circuits and many outlets. Just don’t blow the freezer and forget to tell us to reset. The patio on the pond side will accept one plug. It looks like a double, but the second one is a gfi. That may not be a good spot. The deck running along the SW side of the house has four outlets on two circuits. The street side has no outlets and lots of poison ivy. Not a good place to wander in the dark.

Remember that some local attendees go home before or just after dinner and will not be here when it is dark.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Lee,

Enjoy the class.

Okay on not needing to set up in the basement. To help you plan your options here are the outlets available outside. The garage has been rewired recently with three circuits and many outlets. Just don’t blow the freezer and forget to tell us to reset. The patio on the pond side will accept one plug. It looks like a double, but the second one is a gfi. That may not be a good spot. The deck running along the SW side of the house has four outlets on two circuits. The street side has no outlets and lots of poison ivy. Not a good place to wander in the dark.

Remember that some local attendees go home before or just after dinner and will not be here when it is dark.

John
    Hi John, never knew there was a deck on the side of the house, or maybe I saw it from my evil eye and it did not register.

In doing some portraits that qualify for this class all/major light should be from artificial sources. So if things get close to dusk without being in dinner's way We could do some strobes. Certainy do not want to get in the way of supper time, I'll be thrown into the pond.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Lee,

I don’t know about your evil eye. The deck is roughly 41 feet long and varies from 6 to 10 feet wide. Stairs to ground level and a bay window cause the variations. The outlets are 15 feet apart. We have several 50 and 100 foot medium use extension cords. What is the electrical load on the lights?

You don't want to be thrown in the pond. Savannah and Cindy will spend all night dragging you out and encouraging your wife to throw you back.

Sunset today is 7:28 PM, long after we usually go to dinner. The basement can be dark all day. Dolly usually does her laundry on the weekend and might need to walk by to the washer and dryer once or twice.

Probably this is as good a time as any to remind guests that the 11x13 foot darkroom is available during hours that I am awake to load film holders or for camera emergencies.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    In post 37 I mention a Civil War exhibit we might visit at the Canton Art Museum if we have rain. Today I learned about a photography exhibit at Akron Univ. That exhibit would be on a direct route to the Canton one.

My favorite professor curates this show. Here is the promo piece.

September 12 - October 22, 2011
    Photo Fictions:
    Staged, Constructed, and Altered Images
    Exhibition Curator: Penny Rakoff_

Photographers have always understood that photographs
    possess intrinsic authenticity in the mind of the viewer.
    Contemporary artists, seizing upon this phenomenon, take
    delight in creating their own realities. Manipulation of the
    image can occur at many stages, from constructing or directing
    the scene, whether taken in the landscape or in the studio, to
    technical manipulation on the computer or in the darkroom.
    This work is diverse in style, ranges from monumental to small
    scale and incorporates various processes.

The photographs in this exhibit come primarily from the
    Northeast Ohio collections of Fred and Laura Bidwell and John
    C. Williams. Additional works are from the collections of Mark
    Soppeland and Barbara Tannenbaum, The Akron Art Museum,
    William S. Lipscomb, and from artists Carl Toth, Mary Jo Toles,
    and Barry Underwood.

(Note: the Bidwells have a huge modern collection and have built a photographic wing on the new Akron Art Museum. Barbara Tannenbaum has just left the Akron Art Museum after 27 year to become the Photography curator for the Cleveland Museum of Art.)

Photographers
    Thomas Allen
    Julie Blackmon
    Christopher Bucklow
    Kelli Connell
    Denis Darzacq
    Adam Fuss
    Lynn Geesaman
    Simen Johan
    Doug Keyes
    Laura Letinsky
    Loretta Lux
    Lori Nix
    Luis Gonzalez Palma
    Deb Pinter
    Angelika Rinnhofer
    Allison Rossiter
    Cindy Sherman
    Lauren Simonutti
    Sandy Skoglund
    Amy Stein
    Ruth Thorne-Thomsen
    Mary Jo Toles
    Carl Toth
    Barry Underwood
    William Wegman
    Kehinde Wiley

Emily Davis Gallery
    Myers School of Art
    (330) 972-6030
    www.uakron.edu/art
    150 E. Exchange Street
    Akron, OH 44325

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like I will be able to make it to this gathering. My sister will be visiting aged relative that week & end ...

I do have a 12 week-old puppy that won't like being left alone for several days, though, so I will have to bring him with me. He's socialized and sociable, and house trained.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Nick,

Glad to read you are coming.
    Lets formally introduce the Girls to the puppy this time outside the house and hope it goes better than last time. I think the Girls felt threatened seeing your dog inside while they were outside. But then one is never sure what is going on in their heads.

John
    Last edited by jp80874; 09-22-2011 at 07:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin