Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,939   Online: 930

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    We have a new opportunity this event. You have heard me talk about and seen some of my prints of the amazing, living history museum in the neighborhood. Several of you have asked if we could all shoot there. The owner has agreed. He would appreciate copies of some of your images later on. He enjoys documenting the place and learning how others see his collection.

Here is how he describes his project. “Richfield Ohio’s Jim Fry has created The Museum of Western Reserve Farms and Equipment, dedicated to preserving the tools, equipment, skills and way of life lived by Ohioans in the 1800s. Mr. Fry, a farmer, historian, and artist, has collected 44 buildings including what may be the largest surviving early blacksmith shop in Ohio, the oldest barn in the state, the Stouffer farm smokehouse, and one of the largest surviving post and beam barns in Summit County. The farm is constantly evolving as animals, tools, buildings, machines, in various states of preservation are added or combined into exhibits.”

Jim’s 48 acre museum is about two miles from our house. We can have the place pretty much to ourselves Saturday or we can join Richfield’s History Society’s tour Sunday. Some times observing other’s reactions to a place is as interesting as the place.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,

I haven't forgotten about you!! I am still trying to swing the trip if I am able. I have been busy trying to finish everything I need to shoot wet plate. Been trying to get there before the weather turns and forces me to figure out lighting for inside winter. Oh yeah and not spend any more money!!

Just finished the last thing this week, my dark box. Just have to get a few water jugs to handle the rinse and waste issues... Not sure if I will have a way to be relatively portable with it yet though.

So,....if I can make it, Any room for wet plate shooters? Coffee wielding, wet plate shooters?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Charlie,

You are most welcome. If you can finish the gear fine, but if not, fine. That is a self imposed goal. We are happy to have you come with or with out wet plate or coffee. The person is important, not the pieces-parts.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This would be a very exciting Saturday for us. Tell us more.

Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    We have a new opportunity this event. You have heard me talk about and seen some of my prints of the amazing, living history museum in the neighborhood. Several of you have asked if we could all shoot there. The owner has agreed. He would appreciate copies of some of your images later on. He enjoys documenting the place and learning how others see his collection.

Here is how he describes his project. “Richfield Ohio’s Jim Fry has created The Museum of Western Reserve Farms and Equipment, dedicated to preserving the tools, equipment, skills and way of life lived by Ohioans in the 1800s. Mr. Fry, a farmer, historian, and artist, has collected 44 buildings including what may be the largest surviving early blacksmith shop in Ohio, the oldest barn in the state, the Stouffer farm smokehouse, and one of the largest surviving post and beam barns in Summit County. The farm is constantly evolving as animals, tools, buildings, machines, in various states of preservation are added or combined into exhibits.”

Jim’s 48 acre museum is about two miles from our house. We can have the place pretty much to ourselves Saturday or we can join Richfield’s History Society’s tour Sunday. Some times observing other’s reactions to a place is as interesting as the place.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since I'm thinking of doing a day trip on Sat, that living museum would be really cool.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    This would be a very exciting Saturday for us. Tell us more.
    Lee,

Here is the rest of my Artist statement for the twenty pictures I made in my spring 2011 course.

“Mr. Fry has graciously allowed me to photograph the museum, documenting with a large format camera, a tool of that time, what is there, while looking for the unusual, the out of place, the abstract, beautiful juxtapositions, formalism and transition. The large 8x10 negatives produce unexpected detail. Controlled perspective and small apertures allow for deep depth of field. This work continues my series on the aging and entropy of man-made structures in north east Ohio. In my former career I was forever trying to be on the cutting edge, selling the latest software technology. Now in my retirement I enjoy time travel to the mechanical engineering of one hundred and fifty years ago.”

Jim Fry has laid out the museum as a village. Each building in the village is a business taken from its time and furnished with objects serving that purpose in that era. From memory these are: Pewter and Tinsmith, Slaughter House, Smoke House, Wagon and Wheel Repair Shop, Sawmill, Post Office, Library, Weaver, Printer, Machine Repair Shop. There are several more buildings that I have not yet explored.

The barns and fields are crammed with rusting farm equipment showing 100 years of evolution and entropy. He breeds rare birds and animals. There are sheep, goats, turkeys, cattle, chickens, hogs that are different from modern ones in ways that I have not pursued with him. He and his wife have several organic gardens. Yesterday they were laying out 100+ pumpkins to sell. They had staged a traditional setting with a split rail fence, corn stalks, an Amish buggy and a horse drawn planter. You can buy fresh farm eggs or chickens to butcher and cook in your tents or motels if you like.

Friday night I will show the twenty images again from last spring and some new ones I have made recently, so you can have one person’s view of what is there. The point though is that each one of us will see it in very different ways.

Jim’s is a very generous offer. I trust you will show the respect for his property and efforts that you have shown for our home. I know it will be a while before you will have prints, but he will be very grateful if you will send some of your results later in the season. If he is happy, shooting here could be very enjoyable for us for years to come.

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like an interesting opportunity!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Since I'm thinking of doing a day trip on Sat, that living museum would be really cool.
    Beth,

I will PM directions from our house so you can join us when you arrive. You may want to find and introduce yourself to Jim’s wife. She had a baby in June and has what I think is about a two year old daughter. As I understand it she is try to introduce them to traditional ways of farm life. I am really not certain what that means to a young mother.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I should mention that Jim has very strong political views. Yesterday while I was filming pumpkins Rush Limbaugh was blaring out of a radio set up so Jim could hear him while working on a project. Dolly's brother Wes is in his own words a flaming liberal, in mine, more flaming than liberal. Jim and Wes used to be friends. Please take that as a warning not to rock the boat. I hope to be welcome there for several years.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Beth,

I will PM directions from our house so you can join us when you arrive. You may want to find and introduce yourself to Jim’s wife. She had a baby in June and has what I think is about a two year old daughter. As I understand it she is try to introduce them to traditional ways of farm life. I am really not certain what that means to a young mother.

John
    Cool! Thanks! It sounds like a very interesting place.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin