Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,652   Online: 859

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

NE OH Gathering: September: 30, October 1-2, 2011

We had wonderful gatherings in August and May of 2011, missed a few regulars, gained a few new folks. It is time again for another NE OH Gathering, to get out shooting film, come together to see recent work, climb ledges, walk the OH & Erie Canal, photograph waterfalls and have group fun at a gathering of like minded friends and hopefully new faces.

Dolly, the Girls two blond lady Labrador Retrievers and I would like to invite you to our home for a film photography gathering starting 5 PM Friday, September: 30, through Saturday, October 1st and Sunday, October 2nd. We have been doing this, 5-6 times a year, for four years with attendance ranging from 10-25 photographers. It has been a blast for us. I hope you have enjoyed it as much or will try it for the first time at this event. For more information about the flavor of these events read the threads on earlier "NE OH Gathering."

Most recent:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum174/...-7-2011-a.html

Lee L has built a Google Mapbook with most of our previously visited locations. I hope he will be kind enough to post a link to access his very helpful work.

Available options we have enjoyed in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park,
    http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm

Within five miles of our house:
    Blue Hen Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/bluehen.shtml
    Butter Milk Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls...milkCUVA.shtml
    Brandywine[/url] Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/brandywine.shtml

Please note the obvious, waterfalls can be dangerous. The day after our May, 2011 event a person unknown to us slipped and fell sixty feet to his death at Brandywine Falls.

Virginia Kendall Ledges
    Everett Road Covered Bridge
    Maps http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Several visitors have been interested in the OH Turnpike bridge over the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the three 19th century churches in the scenic little town of Peninsula, OH.

There is often fog early in the morning in the Cuyahoga River Valley and locally over our pond. This can be natural or self induced depending on activities. It can add interesting aspects to your photography. Some have slept in for four years and never noticed. It is your decision.

If nature/landscape is not your thing, Cleveland, the flats, where it is difficult to take a picture with less than three bridges, and five is more likely, awaits you.
    “The Ohio & Erie Canal was a technological marvel. The inland waterway incorporated a series of sandstone locks that enabled boats to climb differences in elevation along the Continental Divide. The steepest section of the canal was between Akron and the Little Cuyahoga River. In a single mile, 15 locks, or "steps," were necessary.”

On occasion it has been too hot, too wet, too tired, to hike in the woods lugging heavy gear. We are fortunate to be located between the Cleveland Museum of Art and The Akron Art Museum. Both have very good photography departments and have been kind enough to have excellent exhibits coinciding with our calendar. We have been known to drop dirty, sweaty gear behind, make a group visit to an ethnic restaurant and attend either or both museums as needed. It is all about like minded individuals sharing an interest.

The event will be in Bath, Ohio, between Cleveland and Akron, five miles south of the intersection of the Ohio Turnpike and Route I-77, meeting at a private home, two miles from the edge of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. For a rough estimate of time and distance use zip 44286 in Mapquest.com. If some visitors want to camp by the garden, they are most welcome. Others can stay at local motels. The Hampton Inn, Richfield, OH (1 800 Hampton) at the OH Turnpike entrance and intersection with I-77, about five miles away is the most popular.

Come as early as Friday, 5:00 PM. Saturday we usually go out to breakfast at 10:00 AM to allow for early shooters and late sleepers. We gather again about 5:00 PM to show prints, tell lies and go out to dinner. Alternatively we have been known to call in pizza. Print showing and pizza eating are done at separate times with a cleaning of paws in between. Sunset shooting is available, but previously showing prints and telling stories prevailed. It is all about the camaraderie of people following a hobby. While you are here the Lady Labradors will entertain with their splashing stick routines. One regular attendee will try to convince you that bacon ice cream is a bit of heaven. There is an orchard-home made ice cream business near by. Quality control visits and inspection checks are mandatory, often requiring multiple tests.

When we learn how many are coming we can order a porta potty if there are enough to pay for it by contribution ($112 divided amongst us). Our home stumbles through on an ancient septic system and well so we must ask you to endure this porta potty inconvenience. We understand new septic systems are about $20k- 30K and don’t always work as well as the old one.

We are trying to have a loose organizational shell under which all cats may be comfortably herded. The plan will evolve until the majority is happy and the protesters fall asleep.

All film shooters are welcome. Who is interested in coming? What information is needed?

If you have not been here before please PM me with name, address, phone, email and emergency contact in case you do something you shouldn’t have. I will return with directions. If you have been here before but have new emergency contacts please update them.

Welcome to the Powers’ house.
    Hosts, John & Dolly Powers
    Labradors: Cindy and Savannah

All links were functioning at posting time, though half had gone dead since the last event. Please send updates as they change.
    Last edited by jp80874; 08-18-2011 at 04:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey John,
    Just noticed this. We're going to try and redeem ourselves from the last event! =) Have only been to the park once this year (Memorial Day) and miss photographing there.

Also, I just found out I have to be at a birthday party in Ambridge, PA this Sunday so I can't make the Camera Show. Which, given my track record for buying things there, is probably for the best!
    Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again for doing this John.

I'll be there if my crazy life permits. I'll know for sure that I can make it when I actually pull into John's driveway.

Here is the URL for the webpage that John mentioned, with resources for visitors to the area:
    https://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    I'll be there if my crazy life permits. I'll know for sure that I can make it when I actually pull into John's driveway.

Lee
    That sums it up pretty well!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Glad to read you both will be here if you can. I was beginning to wonder if the event was played out. Lee, thanks again for the map and guide book.

Remember this is "our" event, "our" being the gang that has come before and those in the future who wish to associate with like minded people. If it no longer serves that purpose, please give some input as to what will make it "our" event. It is physically based here, but it only works if people make it happen. That is what is so beautiful about the show and tell. Each person shows something new, collected or printed, their ideas, their ability, and talk about where they want their work to go.

Speak up. Write in what you would like and how it can come together. Take the initiative. Wait for the other person and it will be a long wait, if it happens at all.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking hard at this with grins and hope.
    I agree with Lee, rolling into the driveway is the final truth.

Sue is dealing with some real heavy duty dental issues, if you have a spare prayer send it her way.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We're planning to make it down again. It's always a fun time.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Remember this is "our" event, "our" being the gang that has come before and those in the future who wish to associate with like minded people. If it no longer serves that purpose, please give some input as to what will make it "our" event. It is physically based here, but it only works if people make it happen. That is what is so beautiful about the show and tell. Each person shows something new, collected or printed, their ideas, their ability, and talk about where they want their work to go.

Speak up. Write in what you would like and how it can come together. Take the initiative. Wait for the other person and it will be a long wait, if it happens at all.

John
    Well, if you could clear my hubby's schedule (or at least let me know what it is sooner than the Army does) it would go a long way towards me knowing if I can make it.
    As usual, I'm really hoping I can make it, but that will be right around the time he'll be wheels up for "somewhere." I might be flying to TX to see him off. We'll see. I really need to do some shooting. I shot two sheets of Delta 100 and 4 of HP5 last time and I haven't shot anymore since to develop them with. I'll have the rugrat with me if I do make it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Looking hard at this with grins and hope.
    I agree with Lee, rolling into the driveway is the final truth.

Sue is dealing with some real heavy duty dental issues, if you have a spare prayer send it her way.

Lee
    Lee,

You gots to take better care of that girl. Wasn't it the first time we met her she arrived having been stung multiple times? Now teeth.

Twenty some years ago Dolly and I landed on Pelee Island out in the middle of Lake Erie. We had been out in a small cruiser for two weeks and like most newbies she had bruises from not having a grip when waves hit. We met the retired minister from Old Stone Church in Cleveland who I had known for years. He pulled Dolly aside and said, "Does he beat you?" Thanks Rev.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    We're planning to make it down again. It's always a fun time.
    That's great news. Thank you. See if you can talk Charlie, Dan and Silke into coming. All good additions.

John

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin