Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,302   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pictured Rocks Gathering - October 6-9, 2011

Pictured Rocks Gathering
    Munising, Mi.
    October 6-9, 2011

Days Inn Munising
    http://www.daysinnmunising.com/
    Double Queen Rooms $70.00 +tax Per night (6 rooms left)
    Single/Double Rooms $65.00 +tax per night (4 rooms left)
    Call the 906-387-2493 number NOT the 800 number. The main booking office for Days won't kno of the group rate. You'll be calling the hotel directly.

The Days Inn seemed a good base for operations in that it was right on M-28 not too far from the County 58 intersection. Close to town, but on the east side closer to the National Lakeshore. They look pretty clean and up to date, have wireless, a pool, hot tub, etc. We can have a good old time. They also have offered us the breakfast area in the evening if we want to meet, show prints, etc.

I've already booked a room and I see on the other thread that Lee has also. They asked if all booking could come in by Monday morning. They will hold hold the rooms and group price until then. They anticipate filling up for that weekend and want to know what will be available.

More to come. I see that Jim is offering his guide services and Lee is doing some study on sun angles for a potential sunset cruise on the boat tour. I'd love to do that myself as well as take a hike out to Mosquito Creek and Grand Portal Point. One of my favorite spots on the planet and I gotta go up there at least one more time!

Anyway... Lets try to use this thread from now on if we could? Seems easier than digging back into the old Photostock thread.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pictured Rocks Boat Tours
    http://www.picturedrocks.com/

From looking at the schedule, it looks like the sunset cruise is at 5:15 and costs $35.00 per adult. There is also the Regular Cruise at 10AM and the one that includes Spray Falls at 2PM. I will contact them to see if there is a group rate available, but I think we might have to have a sizable group for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, last daily departure of the Pictured Rocks Cruise boat on our days is the 5:15pm "Sunset Cruise". (I see Bill has already gotten to that.) I'll attach a map courtesy of The Photographer's Ephemeris (set to Oct 7th) showing the line to the Sun at 6:00pm with a narrow orange line, and the thicker orange line to the Sun at sunset at 7:14pm. You can get some idea of how the sunlight will be grazing the cliffs.

On Friday the 7th, the moon will be rising in the east above the rock cliffs just after the cruise departs, and will be about 18 degrees above a level horizon at sunset. How high above the cliffs the moon appears will depend on the distance from the cliffs to the boat. The moon will be about 78% full (waxing gibbous). The moon will rise 22 minutes later on Saturday night.

On our earlier cruise, I shot with a 35mm rangefinder and a 75mm f:2.7 lens. At the distances the boat held off from the shore, this gave a very nice variation of the cliff from including some sky and water to the cliff almost filling the frame. Lake Superior was unusually calm on our trip, but even so the ride became a bit choppy. Be prepared to handhold at higher shutter speeds. A tripod or other support resting against the boat is almost guaranteed to be useless.

Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot-7.png  
    Last edited by Lee L; 09-24-2011 at 03:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just booked a room. Looking forward to it

Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just returned from a week in the western U.P. Sure hope you have better weather than we did. Drizzle and 45F day and night for the entire week save for one day.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Drizzle and 45F day and night for the entire week save for one day.
    That's too bad, Bob. Maybe we'll get lucky, but I'm prepping for winter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Booked, but only for Thursday the 6th. The week has me dotting the map, and I promised to be home for our long weekend.
    It will be good so see some old friends again, if only for a couple of days.
    Cheers
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    That's too bad, Bob. Maybe we'll get lucky, but I'm prepping for winter.
    Thanks, never a total loss though. I can always find something to shoot and shoot with.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FTR, I booked a room. Checking in on the 6th & checking out on the 9th. I'm interested in the boat cruise, hiking, etc.

-Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like I'm just going to miss you Bill I'll be at the Blind Sucker State Forest campground the 1-5 on Co. Rd 407 Grand Maraia Truck trail. You also might like to check out Chipmonk Falls 30 ft fall and Sable Falls 15 tft fall just west of Grand Marais. Also Au Sable Point Lighthouse is a good spot, on the trail out to the lighthouse their are some shipwrecks on the beach. Looked like the color is coming fast this year. A week and a half ago I was up at the Mackinac Bridge out on the cables doing some photos of the cable inspections and the their was spots of color in the low lieing area's.
    Kodachrome was invented in the early 1930s by two professional musicians, Leopold Godowsky, Jr. and Leopold Mannes; hence the comment that "Kodachrome was made by God and Man".

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin