Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,769   Posts: 1,516,500   Online: 780

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Beware of Millenium park nazis

Ok, I've shot the Jay Pritzker pavillion in Millenium park a number of times now and I have yet to be confonted by the yellow jacket rent a cops. Though I read on some other sites these clowns were trying to actually shake down photographers because they were using a tripod or looked like a pro, ah the Chicago grease my palm mayor Daley machine.

Well today was...uh different. I approach the pavillion at roughly sun up to catch the highlights off of Franks awsome structure he has designed and here comes Barney freak'n Phife. Barney says, what is that? I say a rocket launcher. Barney takes this well and chuckles, Ive gotta call this in to see if you can stay. He returns and says go ahead but you need to hurry.

Ok Barney I'm gonna hurry with my 11x14, tripod and all slung over my shoulder with holders.

So I set up for about my fourth shot, and up walks one of his buddies, "hey can't set up there you blocking the walk way" ok so I move over a foot or two so the crowd of people can rush by at 0630hrs on a holiday and then he hovers there for the rest of my set up and shot, no biggie I guess.

They gotta bug me one more time before I finish , Miss Phife in charge sneaks up on me while I'm under the blanket and asks, "are you suppose to be a pro or sumth'n" I say, nope I'm just a amatuer but after all the questions today I feel like a pro. She doesn't like my attitude I can tell. I'm waiting for the boot from her but it never comes, she yaps into the GI Joe hand set and walks without a word.

Why does this pavilion need a army of no less than a dozen donut eaters walking in circles around it ready to pounce on your freindly neighborhood eccentric ULF photographer? It is a public park is it not? Has anyone else had to deal with simular nonsense?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No problems at all with the stealthy pocket-blad--

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...=500&ppuser=60
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Mike !! Yeah, I remember the feeling(s) quite well starting with the democratic convention in August 1968. The cops pulled off their name tags and rioted against the students and media. I was at ground zero in front of the Hilton at Balboa and Michigan shooting for the Sun Times. Later, when hizzonor was asked about the level of disorder and the roles the police played, Mayor Daley in true Daleyspeak responded with " Da police aren't here to create disorder. Da police are here to preserve disorder." His press secretary at the time, later begged the press to "print what he means, not what he says." Aaahhhhhhhhh, dose were da days. <sigh> I miss my hometown.

Man, I'd install a rearview mirror under that blanket and watch your back. Take care.
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish they had made the movie "Born on the Fourth of July" before my butt found its way to Vietnam. I might have been there at the convention too. Anyway not much has changed in my opinion. This Nixon throw back Bush will probably wire tape me for my comments.

I look at my war decorations and think; for this I can't photograph freely in America without being suspect.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funny and small world. I was a page at that convention. I missed most the action running errands for the people inside.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even though it's ridiculous, a few idiotic questions from oafish rentacops is a relatively small price to pay compared to the outright extortion going on in places like Monument Valley.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceN
    Even though it's ridiculous, a few idiotic questions from oafish rentacops is a relatively small price to pay compared to the outright extortion going on in places like Monument Valley.
    So I've heard Bruce, this is why I "played the game". Is it a pass or permit that is required at these parks? I here that in Europe you can not photograph in public places with a tripod with out "zee proper papers" because you are veiwed as a proffesional making money off the image you are making.

Mike A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceN
    You are on Navajo Nation land. They are using the money they as you call it extort out of the tourists to do projects like health care and schools. It also employes many of the Navajos. I do not begrudge them one cent for us being allowed on their land. It is not public land.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I too would have found the repetitive questions annoying. However, I doubt that most people have ever seen an 11 x 14 camera (I don't think I have ever seen one in person). As you mention it, I could see that the bellows of a 16 x 20 camera filled with some sort of explosives would be a fine prop for a suicide bomber to use in a large city. Less obvious than the vest laden with sticks of dynamite and bags of nails. Imagine the rapture of a suicide bomber as he pushes the cable release and says "smile!" I am more than willing to put up with modest intrusion for the sake of safety, even if it borders on the ridiculous at times.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although you may have been annoyed by the "millenium park nazis" at least (I assume) hopefully, you weren't towed by the lincoln park pirates of '60's legend.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin