Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,492   Online: 1071

Shooter
    35mm

Lab help and lens ?

Hello I am new to this forum. I just recently bought a 4x5 veiw camera and a Bronica ETR 6x4.5 to complement my Pentax ZX-L. I was wondering if an one knows of a lab that process 4x5 transparancies and dose enlargments from 35mm slide (kodachrome). I would prefer a lab that dose traditional printing insted of drumscaning and then printing. Also i was curious by what factor sould focal lengths be multiplid by to get their 35mm equivalant for 6x4.5 and 4x5 (sorry like i said i am new to this and my highschool photo class dosent go this in depth)
    Thanks
    -Nate

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Nate,

I used to use these fellows. Quick service and good prices on 4x5.

Perfect Image Incorporated, 1550 S Mount Prospect Rd, Des Plaines, IL 60018
    (847) 297-2277
    1550 S Mount Prospect Rd, Des Plaines, IL 60018

Local rumor is that they are back in business after a shutdown but I can't verify it without a call.

Gamma Imaging is the big player in Chicago: http://www.gammaimaging.com/ . At $2.80 they are not bad if you are in the area. If you are going to have to mail things out I have used River City Silver with good results.

BTW: All my 4x5 color has been using negative film, not transparencies, but the fellow who pointed me towards Perfect Image only did slides.

The multiplier? The problem here is that the formats do not have the same ratio of length to width. If you use the diagonals, 1.6 for the 6x4.5 and 3.6 for the 4x5 will get you in the ball park. If one dimension (length or width) is usually more important to you then use that ratio instead (remember that the medium format and sheet film image area is a little smaller than "advertized").

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Gamma is top notch.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would highly recommend CSW Film Systems on 215 N. Damen, Chicago, (312) 226-7810. I don't know if they do chemical prints from transparencies. They do C-prints from negatives and are great at getting colors just right. Oson who owns and operates CSW is one of the best color correctors in the city. THey process E-6 and C-41 in all sizes at least up to 4x5.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin