Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,576   Online: 949

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

photo labs in/near chicago?

Currently, my darkroom is at school. When school ends about a month from now, I can't do anything but shoot film and let it sit. Are there any (preferably inexpensive) labs south of chicago, around tinley and orland park, that will develop 120 film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Use this site to help find a lab. All you need to do is supply your zip code then a list of labs will come up. You'll have to do some calling about film processes they provide.
    http://www.ipiphoto.com/
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just wanted to update this as there has been some considerable changes in the local labs.

1. Helix has stopped processing film.
    2. Phoenix Imaging was sold to a digital printing company and they have moved to Lake Street near downtown. In the basement of that building, Gamma Imaging is located. Phoenix and Gamma both do good work (C41&E6). I think Gamma actually outsources some stuff to Phoenix. Also, both of them outsource B&W processing to some *mystery* entity in Evanston.
    3. Central Camera used to use Helix for a lot of their stuff. They now send it to Dwayne's in Kansas.
    4. CSW still does E6 and C41, but not B&W.

As far as I know those are the only three "pro" film labs left in the area. If anyone has more info, please share.

One more thing, Printlab does B&W processing, but focuses on high end printing projects, both darkroom and digital.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Looks like Helix is going out of business entirely, so I guess it's a good thing they stopped processing film a little earlier :-(

I used to drop off my E6 at Helix's Highland Park location (and they'd run it downtown and back) because I work near there, but when that closed a couple of years ago I switched to CSW and just mail it. Glad to hear they're hanging in there.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure if you need a place to play, or just pay. You can play here:

http://chicagocommunitydarkroom.org/
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Phoenix Imaging has been sold again and is now part of A&B Photo and Print, which specializes in headshots. Still the same equipment and employees (2) as before. They are now at 218 N. Jefferson, Lower Level, only a couple of blocks from their last stop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to update this. Phoenix Imaging no longer processes film in-house. Was quoted $36/roll for c-41 and flatbed scans. PASS.

CSW is the only place in the 7 million population area of Chicagoland that does E-6 in house. That I am aware of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Supply & demand. Go figure, I would of thought with so many people in the area.....perhaps most mail out?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    perhaps most mail out?
    I guess (?)

The two other shops I frequent outsource their E-6 to Dwayne's. Which is fine. If you want to wait 7-10 days.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin