Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,432   Online: 796

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My pile of 'prints awaiting comments' was getting a bit too high, so here it goes:

Crispin – Ginger Flower- A wonderful image of something I have never seen All of the ginger I have ever seen comes as a root, or ground to a powder.
    The lighting of the original still life scene that you imaged well is most appropriately translated into the tones in the print

Mark Barendt- Oahu North Shore- I must confess to liking the framing of the elements in the image, but the print contrast leaves me flat. I think a more powerful image would have been achieved with a higher grade of paper. If the original negative was thin, and hence the image appearing limp, well, sorry. An auto-exposure camera is prone for giving under exposure in these circumstances, being fooled by the bright sun and sand. Dive into Fred Parkers ‘The ultimate exposure tool’ – goggle it, and proceed to expose with the camera set on manual with confidence.

Trond – Bird - A neat abstraction of a real life scene. Nice placement of tones, sharp and well focused. The human feet hanging in the edge of the image do give the scene scale, but they are still a bit too distracting for my liking.

Nige – Veranda View at night. Nige, you are brave to dig out old b&w negs from when you first got into film. I look back at mine and they are all so bad. I am almost willing to toss them, but I won’t due to the memories of the subject matter. From the image it looks like you had a nice vista to look at growing up. My youth, and present day, vistas offer the blandness of suburbia.

Guitstik (I thing- Tennessee postmark)– Window Detail of Miners Shack, Bodie CA. Very nice details. Shadow on the mesh curtains, cracks in the dried wood window frame, etc. It certainly shows you what 4x5 can do. Window pane frame slightly offset from print edges frame is a nice touch. Good perspective correction. All that should be straight and square is.

George Nova Scotia – So, the prints on old paper, in an envelope disease has spread from little ole me…
    Ducks in the ditch – a neat fun image

CATV tower – a nice abstraction. The key to using old paper is to make it fit the image content. Mottling in the mid tones you; say well with enough going on in this image, who would think to try to see mottling.

I am a little down on your reference to back when ‘signals floated free in the air’. We dropped cable TV 4 months ago, since we realized the kids spent all their time on the computer or video game thing or i-pod thing, and mom and dad’s use of tv was a big time waste. I strung up an antenna on the roof (about 40 years after helping as a child take one off my dad’s house) and we now have more than 25 signals that we actually want to watch, not counting the foreign language and religious programming, for free between the Toronto and Buffalo OTA digital stations.

Petite print of Day Lily. Very nice. Again, yes, a touch of fog, another by product of old paper, but it works with the image. I have some Velox out in the garage, and a little 4x5 contact printer meant for this type of paper. Hopefully your image has started to stoke my fire to test it and see what sort of a negative contrast is needed, and image content is needed to suit its present grade and fog level.

George, it was neat to see the three prints come out of the envelope, since I am always on the sending end. So live a little and make the prints bigger next time and get full value for the wonderful price of stamps that Canada post demands from us.

Keep the images coming folks. It alway brightens my day to have something other than junk mail and bills in the post when i get home!
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Mark Barendt- Oahu North Shore- I must confess to liking the framing of the elements in the image, but the print contrast leaves me flat. I think a more powerful image would have been achieved with a higher grade of paper. If the original negative was thin, and hence the image appearing limp, well, sorry. An auto-exposure camera is prone for giving under exposure in these circumstances, being fooled by the bright sun and sand. Dive into Fred Parkers ‘The ultimate exposure tool’ – goggle it, and proceed to expose with the camera set on manual with confidence.
    Thanks for the feed back Mike. You too Terry.

Just FYI no auto anything or underexposure. Incident meter and RB 67. The negative has plenty of detail everywhere.

I've printed this one several ways at several different grades, I'm still trying to find what I like best. I think it's going to take some burn and dodge as well as a harder grade.

What I'm saying is that the "failings" in the look were actually my choices and reflect my mood at the time I printed.
    Last edited by markbarendt; 04-06-2012 at 10:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    My list is below. If anyone has sent stuff to me, and I haven't received it let me know. Our rural post office is famous for putting mail in the wrong places.

Andrew.vartabedian
    Black Dog
    bluejeh - received
    bluejeh2 - received
    ccross
    delphine - received
    DerekLofgreen
    drpsilver - received
    George Nova Scotia
    gordrob
    guitstik - received
    Jon King
    Kc2edh
    Laurent
    markbarendt - received
    markrewald
    Mike Wilde - received
    mooseontheloose - received
    Nige - received
    ozphoto
    Rob Skeoch - received
    rst
    Steelbar - received
    tj01
    Trond - received

I received "NYC 1998" but dont know who it is from.

(Matt wasn't on my list, but I traded with him anyway. Thanks Matt!)

Hi Chris,

Mine was the NYC 1998 - sorry about forgetting the name!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    Hi Chris,

Mine was the NYC 1998 - sorry about forgetting the name!

Thanks!! I enjoyed that particular card very much!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All my cards are in the mail! I apologize for sending mine out so late in the round- extenuating circumstances had prevented me from having any darkroom time for the past two months. Just this week I put together a makeshift darkroom in my parent's basement (only temporary, thank goodness!) and finished my printing. I've received 30 great prints so far and wish I had time to comment on them all, but thank you to everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George Nova Scotia.... WOW WOW WOW!!! I'm especially impressed with the lily on paper from 1953!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm afraid I'm quite late on commenting for this round... In the recent weeks I received :

Trond's Bird. The bird does not seem in a very good shape, but the image works marvelously. All the pebbles create a lovely background.
    Kraker's winter landscape. Nice perspective of the trees, the general mood is well conveyed for me.
    Mark Bardent's Oahu Norths Shore. This looks like a vintage print, I'd LOOOVE to see this place !
    Unsigned card "Windows detail, Miner Shack". Lovely close-up, I enjoy such closeups !
    George Nova Scotia's homage to Kodak. I too am impressed by the 1953 paper's look, as well as by the image.
    Ryan's strength of Irene. It's jolly hard to imagine such a powerful phenomenon from where I live !

I'm afraid I'll be late for this round, I have 2/3 of my cards printed but the dayjob kept me away from the darkroom for weeks in a row...

Thanks !
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two new cards, received just now in the mail, a pairing of high and low contrasts:
    Low contrast: "Strength of Irene" by Ryan/Kc2edh. Almost looks like it was shot in the 1940s!
    High contrast: The canopy of leaves by Craig/ccross. I've tried to shoot underneath a leaf canopy before, and haven't had such good luck capturing it in B&W as this. The play of light fairly dazzles the eye, and the branch draws the viewer right in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Received Trond's card - nice tones and textures.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear photographers,

Rüdiger Stobbe, the organisator of this exchange, seem to be in a some kind of disorder. His last post in APUG is form February. I wrote him a personal mail but got no answer.

Does somebody know something more?
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin